NEWS

Kits for character creation

• 14 Replies

anotherJack

• Omae
« on: <09-18-10/1011:33> »
When you make a character in the SR wolrd, there's always a lot of details to think to, sometime it's just annoying, and you can easily forget very importants details ("so you didn't take a fake ID ?").

So, some of my french fellows on the forum where I come from thought to make some "packages" which would allow players to take in once a lot of frequently very usefull stuff without caring too much about details.
I think it's a brilliant idea, it let the player concentrate on the character's core, and go fast when it comes to the details.
Example : you make a hacker, you concentrate on your skills about hacking and your commlink options, you don't want to spend 30 minutes on your guns set. You spend 5000 N¥, you take the fighter's kit.
So I link the whole thing here. There's a PDF you can download.

http://www.shadowforums.com/cyber-espace/spip.php?article207

All kits are designed to cost no more than 5000 N¥.
For example, you've got the basic" Runner kit", with basic fake SIN, tag eraser, a simple (but how much helpfull) knife, basic commlink, googles with all must-have options, gaz mask, and so.

Of course, i'ts in french, and you probably wont understand the privates jokes and so, but I think you wont have a lot of difficultues to understand which stuff is in the kits, and it may be an inspiration for creating your own kits which we, frenchies, will download with pleasure.  ;D
« Last Edit: <09-18-10/1015:35> by anotherJack »
Me am french, me am not speaking good english, but me am trying to correct this.

Magus

• Newb
  • Dumpshock Alum
« Reply #1 on: <09-18-10/1140:20> »
Bobie Derie (AKA Ancient History) released his write up of PACKs which does this quite nicely. He was the Freelancer that actually spearheaded this prior to his leaving due to the recent issue that CGL has had. I do believe there is a topic in one of the threads here with the link to them as well as over in DumpShock.
Commanding Officer of the Floridian Ninja Surfing Drop Bear Pirates!!!

Shah Dude!!

anotherJack

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <09-18-10/1142:06> »
Thanks, I'll search for it.
Me am french, me am not speaking good english, but me am trying to correct this.

Magus

• Newb
  • Dumpshock Alum
« Reply #3 on: <09-18-10/1145:38> »
The Topic is one the very first posted in the General Forum section. Author is Ancient History.

Shah Dude!!

anotherJack

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <09-18-10/1201:31> »
Got it. I re-link it here.

PACKS (Pre-Generated Auxillary Character and Kit System) Toolkit by Ancient History

http://www.box.net/shared/6auo6qljd3

Magus

• Newb
  • Dumpshock Alum
« Reply #5 on: <09-18-10/1206:38> »
Thats the one. Real Handy

Shah Dude!!

anotherJack

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <09-18-10/1214:04> »
OMG it rocks !
He put the principle far further than us ! I love it.

Magus

• Newb
  • Dumpshock Alum
« Reply #7 on: <09-18-10/1220:06> »
And that is what the UnOfficial Official PACKs looked like prior to Bobbie leaving. Jason had to rewrite it as Bobbie took the rights to his part in it. I want to see what CGL turns out on it when it hits the streets in Runners Toolkit.

Shah Dude!!

Lansdren

• Chummer
« Reply #8 on: <09-22-10/0631:59> »
Can anyone confirm the french is the same as AH's?

The reason why I ask is a while back on Dumpshock we has something similar to AH's but different translated from french which was different but very cool. I'm afraid my grasp of languages is abit limited. From memeory the other stuff had packs of chewing gum in each runners pack and were quite nicely put together.

"Didnt anyone tell you as security school to geek the mage first?"  "I guess I will just have to educate you with a introduction to my boomstick"

anotherJack

• Omae
« Reply #9 on: <09-22-10/0639:59> »
Can anyone confirm the french is the same as AH's?

The reason why I ask is a while back on Dumpshock we has something similar to AH's but different translated from french which was different but very cool. I'm afraid my grasp of languages is abit limited. From memeory the other stuff had packs of chewing gum in each runners pack and were quite nicely put together.
The "bitos" kits have chewing gum packs in each kit yes, with various tastes (and don't underestimate the utility of a chewing gum pack in SR), but it has nothing to do - except on the principle - with what Ancient History has done here in these drafts.

Lansdren

• Chummer
« Reply #10 on: <09-22-10/0832:13> »
Thats what i was checking,
Theres a couple of comments about this being AH's Idea which might not be the case as I personally saw the french one before AH put out PACKs, both systems are good though just dont want to see anyone getting their hard work put down as copying
"Didnt anyone tell you as security school to geek the mage first?"  "I guess I will just have to educate you with a introduction to my boomstick"

Max Anderson

• Newb
« Reply #11 on: <09-22-10/0843:12> »
As far as I know, the "Bitos, Inc." project was started in August 2006. The content was published in May 2007.

I didn't know about the PACKS project until really recently, and nor did the members of Bitos, Inc. as far as I know. As I see it, those are actually different, the PACKS being much more complete, the Bitos kits being only small packs of useful items for 1 BP, to keep it as simple as possible.

I don't think there's a cause for argument, really :)

anotherJack

• Omae
« Reply #12 on: <09-22-10/0853:02> »
I haven't read the whole AH's works, but no as far as I know, it's not a copy, the basic idea is the same, but the "bitos" kits are small kits in order to easily complete the stuff of a merely finished character, when the PACKS system allows to build the whole character with big packages of both stuff and characteristics.
I absolutely don't know if one of the two ideas influenced the other, maybe, but I don't think you need to be influenced to think "Hey ! too much things to take, too much details to think about, it would be great if we could buy packages !"

Max, ninja !

Lansdren

• Chummer
« Reply #13 on: <09-22-10/0926:29> »

http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?showtopic=26018&hl=bitos

Link to translated stuff on Dumpshock.

All very impressive stuff

Mäx

• Ace Runner
« Reply #14 on: <09-22-10/1518:12> »
"An it harm none, do what you will"