NEWS

Thoughts on the various non-RPG games?

• 4 Replies

Jack Hooligan

• Newb
« on: <05-20-20/1431:55> »
Full disclosure...I've never played the Shadowrun RPG proper, but have enjoyed the setting immensely through games such as the 90s SNES title and TCG. I've also bought some Duels figures and read many sourcebooks. It looks like I might actually get to run a game through Anarchy this summer.

That said, what's the quality of the current crop of SR non-RPG releases? Can anyone comment on the following?

Shadowrun: Crossfire
Shadowrun: Sprawl Ops
Shadowrun: Zero Day
Encounters: Shadowrun

Also, did Shadowrun: Hostile Takeover ever release?

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #1 on: <05-20-20/1644:01> »
Sprawl Ops still hasn't arrived here due to the snafus by the shipping company, but I loved playtesting it and they fixed the weaknesses we encountered.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

The Tekwych

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <05-20-20/2208:26> »
Shadowrun: Crossfire
A good, basic, deck builder game. It works well as a way to introduce new gamers to the concept of deck building co-op games but the Shadowrun theme is pasted on. There is a reason that a D&D version came out so fast. The game mechanics could easily be skinned for Harry Potter, Marvel, NASCAR or whatever. Don't expect people to jump from this to the RPG universe after one or two plays
Shadowrun: Sprawl Ops
A wonderful game that suffered, IMO, from trying to fulfill backers requests. The metal inks on the game boards make the art and playability suffer for me. The original inks would have been much better on many peoples eyes. Game play is solid in solo or competitive mode and the game does offer quite a bit of flavor of what the RPG might offer. Play time is longer so there will be a bit of commitment to spending the afternoon with one game but it can be worth it for the right group of gamers
Shadowrun: Zero Day
Own it but haver never actually played it. Looked through he rule set and it seams ok but I have two many other card games screaming for my attention right now.
Encounters: Shadowrun
Another cookie cutter game. A push your luck dice rolling game that could be whatever license wanted to skin onto the mechanics. Solid rules mechanics but nothing the other 100 push your luck dice roll games already offer. At least this one tries to show the Johnsons side of the picture.

Also, did Shadowrun: Hostile Takeover ever release?
No. Never released and one I was really hopping for. Maybe the idea can get shopped around again as interest and technology have changed considerably since the idea was first put out. Unfortunately some of the behind the scenes things with Sprawl Ops may have soured the SR license for many of the board game designers out there.

Shadowjack

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <05-21-20/0608:58> »
Crossfire is VERY fun and High Caliber Ops is also great. I play it with my brother all the time.
Show me your wallet and I'll show you a man with 20 fingers.

gerbrecht

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <05-27-20/0339:37> »
I absolutely loved Zero Day. It's a nice little game of dueling hackers. Plays fast and is a lot of fun. I do wish it supported more than 2 players though.