NEWS

Old Matrix (pre Crash 2.0)

• 7 Replies

Lipe82

• Newb
« on: <06-24-19/1424:15> »
I'm looking for suggestions/ideas to adapt old Matrix to 5ed rules.

I've been interested in running some old adventures to my group, such as Renraku Shutdown and Super Tuesday. Back then, however, there was no wireless Matrix, and decking was basically a "hexcrawl" exploration of a system, similarly to a dungeon of other RPGs. No marks, GOD/OwV, AR, PANs/LANs, and so on.

How would you guys adapt that to current rules?

Abider

« Reply #1 on: <06-24-19/1502:05> »
I'm looking for suggestions/ideas to adapt old Matrix to 5ed rules.

I've been interested in running some old adventures to my group, such as Renraku Shutdown and Super Tuesday. Back then, however, there was no wireless Matrix, and decking was basically a "hexcrawl" exploration of a system, similarly to a dungeon of other RPGs. No marks, GOD/OwV, AR, PANs/LANs, and so on.

How would you guys adapt that to current rules?

I wouldn’t worry about the old dungeon crawl system, just replace it with a Host.  If you want to keep any of it just use it for a description of the Host.  The old system was cumbersome and only has one thing it does really much better than the current system which is run a party of all Deckers.  If you’re looking for a simple one go with Divided Assets it uses a Matrix system similar to the current one or go with a 3E module those all use the Host system.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #2 on: <06-24-19/1512:44> »
Check out Shadowrun 2050. It was written for 4th Edition (20th Ann), but you should be able to bring some of the stuff over to 5E.

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <06-24-19/1527:00> »
The German version of 2050 is for 5e and contains the necessary rules.
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

Jareth Valar

• Chummer
« Reply #4 on: <06-24-19/1835:45> »
The German version of 2050 is for 5e and contains the necessary rules.

Of course there is a German edition for 5e.  ::)

Sphinx

• Errata Team
  • Omae
« Reply #5 on: <06-25-19/1231:15> »
I'm looking for suggestions/ideas to adapt old Matrix to 5ed rules. ... How would you guys adapt that to current rules?

For shadowruns set before Crash 2.0 (2064), I would use approximately the same Matrix rules as SR5, with the following exceptions:

• The Matrix is mostly hardware-based, hosted on physical servers in secure locations. No foundation, no grids.
  • Individual hosts can be configured for wireless or wired-only access, according to usability and security requirements.
  • Hackers always need to jack in (datajack + cyberdeck + jackpoint) to use Virtual Reality, whether the host is wireless or not.
  • Augmented Reality exists (since technology trends that way now). People carry commlinks (smartphones), devices get wireless bonuses.
  • Wireless hosts can be hacked wirelessly via AR, but hackers must jack in to get VR benefits. Wired hosts can only be hacked by jacking in.
  • There were no technomancers before 2064, but there were otaku. They function like technomancers, but require a datajack for VR. They can use AR and hack wireless hosts wirelessly at AR initiative speed, but they always take Matrix damage as if they were using hot VR even when they're not jacked in (i.e., Matrix damage goes straight to their Stun condition monitor, biofeedback to their Physical condition monitor). Otaku must be jacked in to use Tasking skills or threading.

« Last Edit: <06-25-19/1301:47> by Sphinx »

Lipe82

• Newb
« Reply #6 on: <06-25-19/1705:23> »
For shadowruns set before Crash 2.0 (2064), I would use approximately the same Matrix rules as SR5, with the following exceptions:

• The Matrix is mostly hardware-based, hosted on physical servers in secure locations. No foundation, no grids.
  • Individual hosts can be configured for wireless or wired-only access, according to usability and security requirements.
  • Hackers always need to jack in (datajack + cyberdeck + jackpoint) to use Virtual Reality, whether the host is wireless or not.
  • Augmented Reality exists (since technology trends that way now). People carry commlinks (smartphones), devices get wireless bonuses.
  • Wireless hosts can be hacked wirelessly via AR, but hackers must jack in to get VR benefits. Wired hosts can only be hacked by jacking in.
  • There were no technomancers before 2064, but there were otaku. They function like technomancers, but require a datajack for VR. They can use AR and hack wireless hosts wirelessly at AR initiative speed, but they always take Matrix damage as if they were using hot VR even when they're not jacked in (i.e., Matrix damage goes straight to their Stun condition monitor, biofeedback to their Physical condition monitor). Otaku must be jacked in to use Tasking skills or threading.

This is precisely what I was looking for. Guess this covers a lot of my concerns. Thanks!

Lipe82

• Newb
« Reply #7 on: <07-02-19/1958:58> »
Oh wow. Sorry to bring up this topic again but I just found EXACTLY what I was looking for.
The source book "Shadowrun Hong Kong" has rules for Matrix circa 2055.
Its spot on. Easy to adapt and run.

Só in case anyone else wants to run pre wireless Matrix, there's the answer.