NEWS

Combat 101 noob questions

• 11 Replies

Lipe82

• Newb
« on: <06-18-19/1943:57> »
Hey Chummer, I know this is pretty basics, so bear with me.

Whenever a character attacks (say, gunshot), the target always get to roll Rea + Int reactively? Or only if they are actively trying to dodge (interruption action, maybe?)?

It felt weird in a quick playtest me and my gf did. Sounded like a target always is up to try and dodge  freaking bullets.

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <06-18-19/1946:43> »
I assume you're talking about 5th edition, but the answer is true for every edition Shadowrun has had:

Yes, you can dodge bullets in Shadowrun.  It's never been particularly concerned with realism :)

Note that if you're unaware of the attack however, you can be denied that dodge roll.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Lipe82

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <06-18-19/1954:14> »
Yup, that was 5th.
So that "reflex dodge" is automatic, right?
It does not count as my action for that initiative pass or costs anything, is that it?

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <06-18-19/2000:08> »
Yes. There is a standard defense test that could be called dodging. Intuition+reaction for the standard pool. There are dodge actions that add more dice at the cost of initiative.

I never consider the defense test a dodge but more a you are making yourself a harder target.

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <06-18-19/2001:32> »
Yup, that was 5th.
So that "reflex dodge" is automatic, right?
It does not count as my action for that initiative pass or costs anything, is that it?

Right, it's something that's automatic so long as you're aware of the attack.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Lipe82

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <06-18-19/2002:52> »
Amazing guys, many thanks for the quick reply!

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #6 on: <06-19-19/1212:05> »
Keep in mind that the reaction action Dodge is not the same as dodge.  :P So yeah you always dodge unless surprised, and actions like Dodge, Parry and Full Defense add to that.

Note that in SR5, any action adding a skill to a dodge roll also means that suddenly you have a limit on your defense roll.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #7 on: <06-19-19/1440:05> »
It's probably better to think of the automatic roll to avoid any attack as a "Defense" test, rather than trying using dodge for two things. So to rewrite what Michael just said:

Keep in mind that the reaction action Dodge is not the same as [defense].  :P So yeah you always [defend] unless surprised, and actions like Dodge, Parry and Full Defense add to that.

Note that in SR5, any action adding a skill to a [defense] roll also means that suddenly you have a limit on your defense roll.

Lipe82

• Newb
« Reply #8 on: <06-19-19/1909:22> »
Hmm, an addendum to my original question - what about multiple combatants?

If a number of shooters are firing at a same target, does the target rolls their Defense for each attack? If a pair (or a dozen) of gangers all try to shoot me, defending against each individual attack is not necessarily hindered by the amount of shooters?

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #9 on: <06-19-19/1926:54> »
Hmm, an addendum to my original question - what about multiple combatants?

If a number of shooters are firing at a same target, does the target rolls their Defense for each attack? If a pair (or a dozen) of gangers all try to shoot me, defending against each individual attack is not necessarily hindered by the amount of shooters?

For 5th edition: yes you are hindered.  You lose -1 die, cumulative, for each subsequent attack.  This counter is reset every time you get an initiative pass.

Lipe82

• Newb
« Reply #10 on: <06-19-19/1952:51> »
Awesome, thanks.
Do we have a page ref. for that?

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #11 on: <06-19-19/2003:02> »
Awesome, thanks.
Do we have a page ref. for that?

pg 189.

DEFENDER HAS
DEFENDED AGAINST
PREVIOUS ATTACKS
If a character has defended against at
least one other attack since his last Action
Phase, apply a –1 cumulative modifier
for each additional defense roll.