NEWS

[SR5] Fly-Spy vs Flying Eye

• 6 Replies

darloth

• Newb
« on: <11-10-13/1936:53> »
Okay, I know that you can buy a self-destruct flashy-smoke grenade for the flying eye, but assuming you don't do that... are these two drones really mechanically identical in SR5? (If so, why didn't they just make it a varient?)

Am I missing some piece of errata somewhere?

Either way, what are your suggestions for differentiating them, please, because I don't want two drones with the exact same statline and cost.

Agonar

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <11-11-13/1113:22> »
Stat lines may be identical, but they are not identical, and each could potentially have it's own niche to fill.  One is a ball, the other is a bug.  One can roll around the ground to follow someone, or get run over by a car, the other can latch on to a ceiling and crawl around for a better hiding place.  Stat lines aren't everything.
GM of the Relative Dimension, Actual Play Podcast
www.relativedimension.com

darloth

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <11-11-13/1602:12> »
This is true, but the insect one can crawl around on the floor also and get run over by a car, and still be pretty much less conspicuous. 

I know they have physical differences, but I'm saying I don't think those differences are significant enough.  If you can provide more examples of why you think they ARE significant enough (ideally ones where the fly-spy isn't just better all the time, because right now I think it is and the ONLY reason to get the hoverball is if you want the explosive addon) then I would really appreciate it... perhaps my creativity is just lacking here.

Csjarrat

• Prime Runner
  • UK based GM + player
« Reply #3 on: <11-11-13/1722:33> »
Nope, think you nailed it mate.
I think the cyber eye mod can turn an eye into the ball drone but I'm away from my book right now. That could be why it's statted up?
Speech
Thought
Matrix
Astral
Mentor

Agonar

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <11-11-13/2059:58> »
This is true, but the insect one can crawl around on the floor also and get run over by a car, and still be pretty much less conspicuous. 

I know they have physical differences, but I'm saying I don't think those differences are significant enough.  If you can provide more examples of why you think they ARE significant enough (ideally ones where the fly-spy isn't just better all the time, because right now I think it is and the ONLY reason to get the hoverball is if you want the explosive addon) then I would really appreciate it... perhaps my creativity is just lacking here.
I haven't yet played my Rigger, but I have one made ready for a friend to play the game, so I have been thinking about the uses of various drones.  But, lets say you have both of them.

Tight Spaces:   I would imagine that the wingspan of the Fly-Spy is wider than the Eye, so the Flying Eye can fit through smaller holes.

Getting into position:  Say you are on a roof, and you want to quickly, stealthily get a drone down to the ground..  roll a Flying Eye down a rain gutter.  Probably more convenient than flying a fly-spy down.

Yeah, it's not much, but ultimately, the choice between the two is situational.  And if you only have one of them, you will definitely find uses for the one you have.  But if you have both of them, you never know when one or the other might actually prove better for the job.  Sure, they both have the same stats, same body, same speed.  But the difference in their shape can definitely spawn differences in which one you really should use for any particular operation.

And no forgetting that the Eyes have the smoke/flashbang.  That right there makes them much more useful in certain situations than the Fly-Spies..  If your Fly-Spy is noticed, they crush it and run out to look for intruders, or whatever.. but if they notice the Flying Eye setting down in a corner, you just pop the flashbang for a momentary distraction so you can haul ass out of wherever you are hiding (if you are hiding nearby, and using the drone for surveillance).
GM of the Relative Dimension, Actual Play Podcast
www.relativedimension.com

Dal Thrax

• Chummer
« Reply #5 on: <11-12-13/1304:53> »
On the other hand a bug is unlikely to be noticed in many situations, a flying marble slighly less so.  The bug is more for snooping the eye is a combat scout.
Warning: most likely posting from a tablet.

Elektrycerze3

• Omae
  • Russian Decker
« Reply #6 on: <11-13-13/0222:02> »
Hoi!

Csjarrat is right:

Quote from: SR5, p453
Ocular drone: This enhancement only affects one eyeball per purchase. A small spyball drone is placed in your ocular cavity. The spyball functions as a normal cybereye (with all the relevant enhancements) until you remove it and control it as though it were a Horizon Flying Eye.

As I'm never away from by books :-P

Speech | Matrix/Communication | Thought | Astral
“Forget hackers, I have my buddies Smith & Wesson: innovators of the point-and-click interface.”