Shadowrun General > Gear

5E Tentacles...oh my

<< < (3/3)

Tosk:
I was also disappointed to find no tentacle options in SR5. And clearly Reaver hasn't actually attempted to look, I found this in under 5 minutes on Youtube; https://youtu.be/EuLIQacrLlc

The idea that robotic tentacles would be unfeasible by the 2070's is just preposterous, given the massive advances in robotics that the setting contains. I think the real limitation is the game designer's ability to codify a realistic approximation into the rules.

I was recently attempting to create a runner based on Otto Octavius, but in the end decided that he would be the team's Decker and the tentacles would manifest as part of his matrix avatar instead.

I was also hoping to do a runner version of Mac Gargan/Scorpion, but the cybertails are really only of the sexy catgirl variety. I'm going to have to homebrew some sort of cyberware version of a gyroscope harness to approximate his cybernetic scorpion tail.

Reaver:

--- Quote from: Tosk on ---I was also disappointed to find no tentacle options in SR5. And clearly Reaver hasn't actually attempted to look, I found this in under 5 minutes on Youtube; https://youtu.be/EuLIQacrLlc

The idea that robotic tentacles would be unfeasible by the 2070's is just preposterous, given the massive advances in robotics that the setting contains. I think the real limitation is the game designer's ability to codify a realistic approximation into the rules.

I was recently attempting to create a runner based on Otto Octavius, but in the end decided that he would be the team's Decker and the tentacles would manifest as part of his matrix avatar instead.

I was also hoping to do a runner version of Mac Gargan/Scorpion, but the cybertails are really only of the sexy catgirl variety. I'm going to have to homebrew some sort of cyberware version of a gyroscope harness to approximate his cybernetic scorpion tail.

--- End quote ---

Its interesting...

But still doesn't solve the issues that he wants.... He wants a retractable tentacle

--- Quote --- I was trying to find a tendril that could be retracted into either a normal arm (like a cyberweapon) or be housed inside a human looking cyberlimb,

--- End quote ---

which is where you problem lies.... Even THAT tentacle wouldn't work for what he wants as it can not be retracted, and is actually much larger then they are showing you, as there is a air compressor and tank involved in the system they are talking/showing about (they just never show you).

Now, MAYBE back in 4e when there was still nano tech, and nano hives and what not could you get away with something like this, but that (nano tech) has been removed from the game.

the absolute best he could do, would be a roll of filament, which he could unspool and use as a finger.. but it would be limited it what it could use, and the length, as he wants this to fit into an arm!

so... maybe 60 cm? maybe 90cm?

Basically he's asking for 20lbs of goodies in a 10lbs bag...

penllawen:
I had an NPC, a decker/techie type, who had a tentacle cyberarm. It looked normal (though bulky) but could open up and split out into a few dozen writhing tentacles, each tipped with tools for working on gear: manipulators, solderers, chip extractors, a drill, a microscope, etc etc.

It was nightmare fuel to watch in action. I played up how eerily organic the tentacles were in operation. Combined with some mag-lens cybereyes he was a walking machine shop though.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version