NEWS

Ancients mages

• 6 Replies

chinlamp

• Newb
« on: <03-15-12/0632:27> »
It's said that the Ancients have 'more than their share' of mages.  How many do you think this should be?  Should it be 1 in 100 members?  1 in 50 members?  Also, how big would you say their group is?

Furthermore, what type of mage would the Ancients be?  Would they be Hermetic, Shamanic, Druidic, Path of the Wheel, etc?

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #1 on: <03-15-12/0711:54> »
I believe roughly 1% of humans are mages, so I'd say something about like 1:20 for low-grade talent and 1:80 or so for someone that can bring heavy mojo to the table.

Also, Vice, which gives stats as of 2072, lists them as a 4-of-5 for Magical Resources, on a scale of "Pathetic" to "Military-Grade".
« Last Edit: <03-15-12/0716:02> by JustADude »
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

chinlamp

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <03-15-12/0731:53> »
Ah, don't have vice yet, that would explain why I didn't know that.  Thanks.

Now, to find out what tradition they follow.
« Last Edit: <03-15-12/0746:30> by chinlamp »

Xzylvador

• Prime Runner
  • Ask me about NERPS! 30% Sales!
« Reply #3 on: <03-15-12/0938:02> »
They're still a 'just' a gang, not a tightly controlled organization.
I don't think all their mages need to have the same tradition, I even think it's unlikely. If you're an elf and willing to defend your turf and chase away trogs, you're in. There won't be a job interview with a selection committee, if the other ancients on your block are cool with you, you're in. (Of course, to get higher up you need to prove and make a name for yourself and there are probably some 'standards'. But that's not for your average Ancient.)

CitizenJoe

• Ace Runner
« Reply #4 on: <03-15-12/0944:01> »
Actually, the Ancients have branches across the world. [spoiler] And they are basically deniable assets for the Tirs[/spoiler]

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #5 on: <03-15-12/1206:04> »
Hermeticism is likely to be more prevalent than the other traditions, in large part because Hermeticism is just more common.  Path of the Wheel is terribly rare outside the Tir -- the other Tir, not Tir Tairngire, the close one -- and as such likely shouldn't be present unless you've got a really good reason for a foreign exchange student or something.  They're awful urban and modern for Druids and Shamen, but depending on Mentor Spirit, I could see one or two of either fitting in...okay.  But, yes.  Like most modern and technologically advanced organization -- modern and technologically advanced, like the Tir Tairngire Peace Force many Ancients were trained in -- Hermetics should be far and away the most common.

It's important to keep in mind that there are many tiers to the Ancients.  They aren't just a street gang full of Tarislar rabble.  They are that, yes, but over the years they've also become much more.  They're where exiles from Tir Tairngire often wind up (and in the last ten years or so, in-game, there have been a lot of Tir refugees for them to eagerly recruit from), and it's important to note that said Tir exiles are -- due to mandatory Peace Force recruitment, and Paladin options for the more wealthy -- often paramilitarily trained, and quite professional.  What's more, the Ancients themselves run a pretty tight ship, at least in their upper echelons; they offer their services, legally and professionally, as a mercenary crew, remember?  Licensed and everything, which gives them access (along with essentially running the smuggling lanes in and out of the Tir, and in fact all along the West Coast) to some top-notch hardware your average gang hasn't got.

Likewise, with magicians.  They're more common in the Tir (due to being more strenuously tested, more socially accepted, and more encouraged to nurture their Talent) so they tend to be more common in the Ancients...and they tend to rise to positions of prominence.  Of canon Ancients leaders, more of them are mages than not, remember.  In Seattle alone, Wasp was a known combat mage, Green Lucifer (a secret mage) replaced him, Sting has long been the sole mundane, and now Belial (a mystic adept) has taken the reins.  Even prior to Belial's recent introduction, mind you, that's 2/3 of them being Talented.  Likewise, Firethorn, the overall leader of the Ancients (as per Vice) is described by Frosty of all people as having "enough Talent to make him really dangerous."  When Frosty says someone's magically potent, it's best to listen.

Keep in mind, yes the Ancients are "just" a gang.  But they're a gang with 15,000+ members worldwide, 350+ just in Seattle alone. Rated on scales of 1-5, they got a 5 in everything but magic and professionalism, where they received 4s.  They are much closer to a professional paramilitary unit than to the Sons of Anarchy or something.

Bruce

• Newb
« Reply #6 on: <03-15-12/1226:59> »
According to Vice, The Ancients and the Cutters are in a grey zone between 'gang' and 'A-level corporation'.  They lack the legal status (and respect) given to corps and major criminal organizations, but it's a matter of degree.

I think it might be well to consider that many major gangs have affiliates.  The true Ancients are incredibly capable in combat, small-unit tactics, and business-savvy.  However, not every elven biker is an Ancient.  The A's don't let just anyone join, and their initiations are very rough.  There are probably a lot of smaller go-gangs which act as farm leagues and local support for the Ancients.

As far as magic, it would be very eclectic.  Hermetic would be common, simply because it's common (or seems to be) among the population.  But the Ancients don't really about magical traditions, so I'd think any elven biker mage who can pass the initial tests would be in.  Shamans certainly.  Voudoun possibly.  Whatever you have that works.  Since I'm quite sure that any magical Lodge the Ancients have would have the requirement 'Must be a full member of the gang', they can afford to be inviting.