NEWS

Why choose Bellingham?

• 15 Replies

Aqukie

• Newb
« on: <02-20-13/2150:00> »
I am sure that this is written about somewhere, but am new, and only have got the core books from SR4 at present.

I was curious what reason was given for Salish-Shidhe choosing Bellingham as a capital. I would have thought the infrastructure of Cities like Vancouver or Spokane would have been more suitable. Even Langley, Mt Vernon and Surrey could have worked.

The reason I ask is that the only reason I could think of was that they are stuck in Bellingham because of the curse. Supposedly, once you live in Bellingham, no matter how hart you try to leave, you always come back. I was just wondering if it was set up as a temporary seat of government, and as magic increased, so did the curse... then they couldn't leave.
« Last Edit: <02-20-13/2154:45> by Aqukie »

Longshot23

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <02-21-13/0442:59> »
It's possible about being curse-related, though I'm inclined to think Bellingham is either a built-over Native American site of significance, or it was viewed as less 'Anglo-tainted' than Vancouver or Spokane.

Or it could just be that it was a less-obvious choice.

Kingbrendarr

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <02-21-13/0800:15> »
I am not familar with that lore but I am familiar with the area so here goes

Infrastructure wise Bellingham makes far more sense than spokane or any location east of the mountains. It is connected to a main road and a body of water so it can have a fair amount of functionality while still being a bit less industrialized. It also has considerably more infrastructure like running water and developed land than Mt. Vernon/Burlington, and lets face it those towns are satellite locations for Bellingham as it is.

I would say that Vancouver being highly industrial probably had similar issues to Seattle and that would make it less than ideal for any sort of AmerIndian interests   

just my speculation. If you lore masters know the truth please fill me in as well. 

Aqukie

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <02-21-13/1734:38> »
Looking at the geographic qualities, Whatcom County has a lot to offer, farmland, deepwater port, rail yard, airport, oil refinery, and aluminum mill. You are protected by hills and mountains from the south and west. From the east you are protected by the bay and islands. Lummi Island would make a good fortification to protect the bay. You could even put fortifications on Chuckanut to protect Bellingham bay and the Samish bay.

The idea came to me when I was reading about how emotional events have affected the background count. I just thought the curse might have gotten stronger. I realize that it was a long shot, not many people have heard of the curse. The myth is based on the poor condition that was found in the old coal mines. The story goes that the curse was give by a Chinese man after the deaths of immigrant miners. The owners’ of the mine decided to just blow the entrance to the mine, rather than pay the workers. The curse was, “Once you live here, you will always return.”

Nath

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <02-21-13/1755:47> »
Possibly, the "Salish Brigade" of the Sovereign Amerindian Movement, or whatever it was called, had its headquarters in or near Bellingham when the the US administration agreed to a cease-fire and the war ended. They stood here while the leaders were in Denver to negotiate. As the Salish nation was established, the local command was the closest thing to a government they had, and so did Bellingham became the capital (actually, given the federalist structure of the Salish-Shidhe Council, the central government doesn't do much but commanding the Rangers, Coast Guards and Border Patrols).

FlyDog

• Newb
  • Hail to the King, baby!
« Reply #5 on: <03-07-13/1521:34> »
I just figured moving into the old BC Legislative buildings in Victoria would be kinda of a dick move, eh?
"Haven't met a problem yet that can't be solved with my Super Warhawk.  This includes long division."

FlyDog

• Newb
  • Hail to the King, baby!
« Reply #6 on: <03-08-13/1035:14> »
But then again, the AGM did put their capital in Edmonton.  Modern city, great mall, all the Alberta gov't infrastructure to play with when starting a new nation.
"Haven't met a problem yet that can't be solved with my Super Warhawk.  This includes long division."

Aqukie

• Newb
« Reply #7 on: <03-09-13/1346:02> »
I think it is more that if you want to form tribal identity, moving into an established infrastructure that has nothing to do with that cultural identity is going to send the wrong message to other nations.

Aqukie

• Newb
« Reply #8 on: <03-13-13/1051:08> »
 After talking to a friend of mine, B’Hamster, he decided to write up a brief history of how Bellingham became the capitol of the Salish-Sidhe nation. There are a few references to local history, and we are still learning the history of the sixth world, so feel free to point out any contradictions to cannon works.

“Bellingham: A Brief History” by B‘Hamster:
   So chummer, you want to know how the city of Subdued-Excitement became the capitol of the Salish-Shidhe Council, eh?  Well first you need to understand the Ham from before it all went down.  Bellingham was the county seat for Whatcom County in the old Washington State.  A sort of Seattle-lite, Bellingham was as progressive as they came; plastic bag bans, anti-war, anti-gun, granola, composting hippies.  The rest of The County, as the locals call it, were of your red meat, don’t tread on me types.  When the troubles started to happen though, Bellinghamsters found they weren’t so far off ideal wise from the Lummi and Nooksack tribes.  So in a surprise move, the normally pro-federal government, subservient slubs grew a back bone and said no.
   When the citizens of a blue city suddenly stands up to the government, well now you’ve got common ground with the Bible-thumping, gun hugging, hicks out in the red county.  Suddenly, two groups that hated each other’s guts got together for a common cause.  In fact, it was the Nookta that lead the way in Metahuman relations, with the whole county voting to become a Metahuman Sanctuary.  Suddenly, granola hippy was standing on the barricades with American Flag tee-shirt guy, refusing to let federal troops onto the Lummi Indian Reservation to relocate them. 
   The Slater Road Slayings, was really just one guy mouthing off and getting a bullet in the brain pan for his troubles, but it sparked a rumble that to this day people in B’ham claim their ancestors took part in.  The Federals left and all three sides (Bellinghamsters, Counties, and Tribes) got to building a new future together.  Of course old grudges die hard and the dissolution of the whole kumbiya vibe seemed pretty evident.  Then the Ghost Dance.
   No one’s ever explained it, every other mountain blew its top but the Old Sleeping Man just kept right on sleeping.
Baker’s been due to blow for a hundred years now, but the world’s greatest fireworks show wasn’t enough to set him off, go figure. – Lion of Lynden
Komo Kulshan rests until the great awakening in which fire will purify us all. – Annon.
Uh… right. – Lion of Lynden
   The whole west coast was in shambles, but Whatcom County was the last bit of God’s green earth, so people naturally drifted there.  Even the burgeoning Salish-Shidhe tribal leadership sought refuge there for a spell.  Nookta hospitality welcomed them all in and put most to work on farms and ranches to let them earn their keep – most are still there.
When it came time for the Salish-Shidhe council to come to power, the Nookta, the strangest amalgamation of Anglos and Amerindian you ever done seen, were the second “tribe” to sign up.  With independence imminent, the tribes converged in Cle Elem to form the government and choose a capitol.  Nookta sent “Dirty” Jan Harris as their head delegate.  Dirty Jan, using all her wiles and charms convinced the other tribes that Bellingham was a blank slate; ready, willing, and waiting to be transformed into the new capitol.  The Nookta even offered to foot the bill.  How do you say no to that?
   So the boom came down on Bellingham and in a short while the Capitol Complex in all its green, environmental glory sprung up in and around Whatcom Falls.  The city itself was remade; parks replaced neighborhoods and big commercial plots were torn down and given back to the land.  Thatch roofs, rain catch basins, enviro-friendly building material, the whole works; you’d think the whole city went back to the Stone Age.  How did they pay for it you ask?  Why do you think they called her Dirty?
   Nobody thinks to ask, so the representative move into their nice new buildings, set up shop and start the whole business of making government work.  With Bellingham’s educated workforce, feed by a steady flow of graduates from Western, the bureaucracy is made up of locals. 
They renamed it something else like Komo Kulshan University, but everyone still calls it Western, they even still have the Vikings Football team.   – WhatcomWitch
And everything was fine and dandy, the Nookta even absorbed a few smaller tribes from the San Juans and in a major coup brought the Nanaimo and Skagit tribes into the Nookta fold.  Everyone wondered at their good fortune, despite being one of the smallest tribes in the NAN.  The other tribes even started to give the Nookta grants to build this pet project or improve this program.  The debt they had incurred building the capitol was slowly turning to the black.
Wonder of wonders! – Boundary Bay
I know! I know! – WhatcomWitch
Now, don’t spoil it WW. – Boundary Bay
The Salish were the first to pull the majority of their staff, leaving only a token workforce.  The rest were soon to follow, until Bellingham was suddenly a ghost town.  The word had spread, Nookta’s dirty little secret was out.  Old Dirty Jan had it all worked out when she proposed Bellingham as the site for the capitol - in addition to a meaner, greener, hippy commune she’d promised… every inch of every building was wired for video and sound.  There wasn’t a closet, conference room, office, or bathroom that didn’t have a Nookta bug in it.  Everyone had once wondered how Dirty Jan always knew just what the other tribes were thinking, staying just ahead of the internal politics, even leveraging her knowledge to break the backs of two equally powerful tribes in the Nanaimo and Skagit.  The good times seemed never to end until the Salish had found the bugs when they had started a simple remodel and then splitsville.
How could they not have seen the bugs before?  Don’t they have security? – CC
It was all goodwill and unicorns back then.  You’re too young, but there was a little more trust between the tribes at the start.  Not to say that they were bosom buddies, it was just that no one thought the Nookta would play so dirty, buzz buzz! – LarraBEE
The bureaucracy has shambled along like nothing’s changed, but the heart of the city was yanked out when the other tribes left.  They all set up “Embassies” on Mercer Island, or whatever the Salish call it, which is now where the power resides.  Poor Bellingham is a shadow of its old self.  As for the Nookta?  Dirty Jan disappeared one night, so now leadership of the tribe has gone to a Nanaimo named Darcy Jim.  He’s got some explaining to do, I reckon.
I heard Dirty Jan took a long walk off the Gateway Pacific Pier with cement shoes on. – Abbott
Naw, she syphoned enough off the top to set herself up in a high-rise townhouse in Seattle for a good long while. – Boundary Bay
Better than she deserved either way. – WhatcomWitch
And so that is the rise and fall of the capitol of the Salish-Shidhe Council.  Just a little Subdued-Excitement for your enjoyment chummers.

“A Little Magic” by WhatcomWitch:
   Whatcom County has always had that extra something in the air and once the Awakening brought Magic back into the world we all learned why.  For those new to the area here’s a quick breakdown of the Magic hotspots throughout the county.
   The Colophon – A little magic shop run by yours truly.  (You think I wrote this for free?)  We cater to the Wiccan and Shaman side of things, but I can get most anything.  We also have a mean peanut butter and chocolate pie.
   Red Square – The center of Komo Kulshan University (formerly Western Washington University) and now the hub for magic experimentation and rebellion; drugs, focuses, fetishes, and other kinky things are all found here.  I wouldn’t touch the stuff with an ungloved hand but I’m discerning like that.
   Lummi Island – Not open to the public since Lummi Mountain lit up like an Astral Beacon you could see from space.  It’s the domain of the Lummi Ascension Cult or “Thunderbirds” who from what I can gather sit on one of the most active magic sites in the county and do nothing but wait for the end of the world – losers.  Looking over the bay, most any mage can see spirits drifting all over the island though, so there is more to the island than some idiot squatters.  Don’t think about crossing over though, the last guy that did floated back belly up.
   BP Refinery – Toxic spirits, nuff said.
   Ahh… Witch!  At least go into details. – Lion of Lynden
   No, write your own guide. – WhatcomWitch
   Reveille Island ¬– An island in the middle of Lake Whatcom and the site of ancient Indian ceremonies.  Legend says an Indian princess fled from her suitor by turning into a deer and swimming to the island for refuge.  Honestly, it’d take two minutes to swim from the shore to the island, but it’s a nice story.  Still there is something to the story as a coven of Wiccans took up residence there and set up their own Amazon commune.  I’d have joined them, but I like my boys too much.
   Mt. Baker – This is a big one.  Old Komo Kulshan as the natives once called it didn’t blow it’s top like all the rest during the Ghost Dance, so that makes it special all on its own.  Add a couple hundred untouched tracts of nature and you have a ____ wet dream (I’m told).  Got a few good pieces of telesma from here, but the tribe heavily restricts who and what goes in and out.  There is a waiting list as long as my flowing black hair, so I wouldn’t hold my breath for a permit.
   Bellingham – And finally the old city itself.  Ever wonder why nobody who’s lived here for a few years never leaves?  It’s the Curse.  You see, back when Bellingham was a coal town they used a lot of Chinese labor in the mines.  One mine collapsed and killed about a hundred of them, so the leader of the Chinese did the only rational thing – he cursed the town.  I think it’s drek, but then again I haven’t left since I moved here from Seattle after the Ghost Dance.
   Semiahmoo ¬– Not only fun to say, but fun to visit.  The place has a real energy, especially once they tore down the over-priced homes and golf course and gave the place back to nature.  The real draw are the Ley Lines just coursing through the place.  At the Husky Gas Station ask for Big Head; he’ll give you the dime tour.  Also, DON’T stay after dark.
   Oyster Dome – This senic landmark overlooks the Salish Sea from the Chuckanut Mountains.  Great for ritual spell casting although a major hike from the road.  For a real challenge take the trail from Chuckanut Drive and not from the backside.  Avoid the Bat Caves though.  Word is a bear spirit took up residence and doesn’t like visitors.
   That’s the highlights, but there are a lot more little spots here and there for the Awakened aware.  Stop by The Colophon and I’ll be happy to mark some more “special” locals for anyone that buys 100¥ or more!  And remember, welcome to Bellingham, now get on your bike!

Tell me what you think.

Nath

• Omae
« Reply #9 on: <03-13-13/1511:08> »
Suddenly, two groups that hated each other’s guts got together for a common cause.  In fact, it was the Nookta that lead the way in Metahuman relations, with the whole county voting to become a Metahuman Sanctuary.  Suddenly, granola hippy was standing on the barricades with American Flag tee-shirt guy, refusing to let federal troops onto the Lummi Indian Reservation to relocate them.
If I understood correctly, this is supposed to take place before the Treaty of Denver in 2017. Then, metahumans weren't a major issue at that point in the timeline. Goblinization into orks and trolls did not occur before 2021. Except for a very small number of "spike babies", the vast majority of elves and dwarves are born in 2011 or after. The oldest of them were thus just seven years old whe the Treaty of Denver was signed. Many of them probably were bullied at school, and their parents may have faced issues with the local school board or at church/temple/synagogue/mosque. But it wasn't yet the major social issue it will become after goblinization, which turned adults into orks and trolls.

The status of Amerindians, ecology, freedom of speech, the extent of federal powers and police, military and corporate abuses, were probably much more important issues at the time.

BP Refinery – Toxic spirits, nuff said.
   Ahh… Witch!  At least go into details. – Lion of Lynden
   No, write your own guide. – WhatcomWitch
You should separate the comments from the main text more clearly, for instance with a specific symbol, newline et al like it's done in SR books.

Aqukie

• Newb
« Reply #10 on: <03-14-13/0928:28> »
Thanks for catching those, still trying to pick up the time line. As for the formatting, sorry about that. I didn't realise the the formatting had been lost until after I posted.

Companero

• Newb
« Reply #11 on: <03-15-13/2019:18> »
I'd love a Montreal sourcebook for a NAN capital like Bellingham or Cheyenne. One of the things I do love about this setting is the way all the balkanisation (aside from allowing for Hardwired-style T-bird border smuggling) suddenly turns out of the way provincial towns into centres of intrigue and politics...
http://vircadesproject.blogspot.co.uk/ RPG blog! - cyberpunk gaming blog!

Tremodian

• Newb
« Reply #12 on: <01-22-14/1257:57> »
Sorry for the thread necromancy, but as a 'hamster, I have had this question myself and put a little thought to it. I know of nothing canon that talks about this. Bellingham isn't the biggest or richest city in the Salish Shidhe Council, but capital cities often aren't. It does have the transportation infrastructure -- on I-5, natural deepwater port, Alaska ferry terminal -- that people have pointed out. It's also geographically fairly central to the rest of the SSC (well, to those west of the Cascades, anyhow), which makes it a pretty good compromise location. The SS Council is less of a country than a loose confederacy, so everything it does is by compromise. Bellingham, by virtue of being so subdued,  also escaped much of the chaos that larger cities suffered during VITAS plagues, goblinization riots, the Ghost Dance War, forced resettlement, and nation-building. It's touched on very briefly on page 86 of the Native American Nations Volume One book: "Bellingham's a weird place...During the Chaos, though, when Bad Things were happening in Vancouver and Seattle, the Port of Bellingham was rediscovered. The harbor was dredged and it became a boomtown."

But yes, the curse is the really likely explanation.

Tzeentch

• Newb
« Reply #13 on: <01-27-14/1644:01> »
The actual (OOC) explanation is because it was in the west, near Seattle. That's it.

Aqukie

• Newb
« Reply #14 on: <02-03-14/1414:22> »
When I read that Bellingham was the capitol, I was tempted to create a bear shaman who owns Lafeen's and operates a bolt hole for runners. (Or maybe a bear shifter...) Of course the Donut Shop quality would be there. (Lafeen's is a donut shop with a bear as a logo.)