NEWS

Would it be possible for Missions to have a "retcon" for characters like PFS has

• 7 Replies

runarm

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Newb
« on: <02-27-15/0546:52> »
PFS has a rule that allows you to ret-con your character provided it has been played 3 times or less. So if the character sucks or it turns out to that you just aren't enjoying playing that character, you can just change it.
Would it be possible to get a rule like this for Missions?
I'd also like to know what my fellow Missions GMs think of this idea - would you approve of a rule like this or do you think it's a bad idea?

R.

Lormyr

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #1 on: <02-27-15/0854:18> »
I would be in favor of some sort of mechanic for this. This system is very complex, and new players may not build their PCs in a manner which will allow them to do what they wish very well without having the assistance of a veteran player to help them build.
"TL:DR 6e's reduction of meaningful choices is akin to forcing everyone to wear training wheels. Now it's just becomes a bunch of toddlers riding around on tricycles they can't fall off of." - Adzling

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <02-27-15/0903:34> »
I'm pretty sure such a rule exists that allows you to transform a character (except for name) after one session.
Killing so many sacred cows, I'm banned from India.

Jayde Moon

• Administrator
  • Ace Runner
  • Shadowrun Missions Developer
« Reply #3 on: <02-27-15/1353:50> »
I think that allowing new players to tweak their characters and have their build solidified by their fourth mission is an important part of retaining them.  If they make a character that they like conceptually, but find that they totally screwed themselves on a certain quality or allocation of points and we just stand firm with arms crossed and go "Too bad", then we're not really doing our jobs to sell the game.

RPGs are meant for groups of us to have fun and enjoy ourselves.  If something a request reasonable as, "Oh, hey, I thought Quality X worked like this and it totally doesn't, can I change it, seeing as I've only played a single mission with this character" is just 'shut down', then the player might feel shut down and be chased away from the table.

So, I'm for this and would be surprised if this wasn't just happening, in general.  But there definitely needs to be a firm line and just watch out for abuse.
That's just like... your opinion, man.

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #4 on: <02-27-15/1448:40> »
For $20, I'll let someone retcon their character any time they want.

To be serious, I do think it would be a nice mechanic to throw out periodically.  Like when a new major book comes available, for instance.
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

ScytheKnight

• Ace Runner
« Reply #5 on: <02-27-15/1604:08> »
There's already the ability to change your character to some extent after the first mission... this has been talked about by Bull and several other demo team members as something they do. As well as this there's almost always the option to retcon new stuff from books as they come out with GM approval (swapping qualities out at the like is I think the main area covered).
From To<<Matrix message>>
"Speech"
Thoughts
Astral
Mentor

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <02-27-15/1606:15> »
Bull mentioned in a Critical Glitch podcast that he's looking at various options regarding incorporating the stuff from Run Faster.  It didn't sound like a full rebuild was on the table, but at least some ways of adding on the new material more easily.
Killing so many sacred cows, I'm banned from India.

biotech66

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <03-01-15/1808:29> »
Showing my support for a retcon option as well!
Speech|Thought|Matrix|Astral