NEWS

SR6 - First attempt at a rigger

• 9 Replies

ZeroSum

• Omae
« on: <09-28-19/1602:35> »
Again, huge thanks to Aria for the awesome character sheet generator. I built this character using SR CG 6.01.

After building my decker over the past few days, I decided to look into Rigging. I quite enjoy the mental image of a GMC Bulldog rolling up to a job and unloading three humanoid combat drones to the left, right, and rear, followed by the rest of the team and then the aerial support drones. The combat drones secure the perimeter while the team begins their entry, and then close up the vehicle once everyone is Oscar Mike. At this point the rigger jumps from the van into his lead drone and tells the van to find an empty alley to park in while checking the sensor feeds from the other drones as they follow behind the team to protect the rear.

The character I came up with suffers from debilitating physical conditions for large parts of the year and is thus relying on VR and remote control for all of their real world interactions. This concept uses several anthro drones for ranged combat, with several aerial drones supporting the main body for the purposes of surveillance and forward recon, all while masquerading as a High Threat Reporter (nearly all gear is completely legal or requires a simple license). from what I can tell, anthro drones in particular are less expensive and more capable (and durable!) in this edition compared to 4th and 5th, and actually stand a reasonable chance to withstand a significant amount of damage and can be repaired relatively easily.

Having drones perform the most dangerous parts of a run (forward recon, front line combat) could potentially cut down on expenditures as repairs are less expensive (and possibly time consuming) than spending time laid up in a hospital. Barring the complete destruction of the drones or a total loss, it actually seems like rigging is pretty viable. This is, of course, assuming you're not playing at super optimized tables, as drones will ever reach dice pools in the 9+ range unless you jump into them as a rigger, but considering their relatively low cost you can have them act as force multipliers. The rigger, on the other hand, can easily reach into the 12-16 dice pool range between the RCC and a few select wireless abilities, but unless the team has a dedicated decker I'd want to run everything except the drone devices themselves in wireless off mode.

I do have quite a few questions (for example, handling tests seem extremely hard to pass even for dedicated riggers; there doesn't really seem to be a way for anthropomorphic drones to engage in close combat other than using the ramming rules; some skill interactions are left relatively open ended, like how do you attack with the stinger on an MCT Hornet), but for the most part it definitely seems like going the drone route is a viable way to build a recon/combat oriented character.

EDIT:
Completely rebuilt after several updates to the character sheet, and learning more about the system itself.

Priorities
Metatype C Attributes B Skills D Magic E Resources A

Karma Expenditures
Starting Karma   50
Positive Qualities   37
Negative Qualities   18
Attributes   0
Skills   25
Resources   6
Remaining   0

Personal Data
Name/Primary Alias John Smith/'ZeroSum'
Metatype Dwarf Ethnicity Hispanic

Age Early 20s Sex Male Height 4' 4" Weight 130lbs
Reputation 0 Heat 0
Karma 0 Total Karma 0 Misc

Attributes
Attribute Description.....Value....Attribute Description.....Value
Body4Essence2
Agility2Magic/ResonanceNA
Reaction2Initiative9+1d6
Strength2Matrix Initiative13+2d6 (Coldsim)
Willpower6Astral Initiative14+2d6
Logic5 (7)Composure8
Intuition7Judge Intentions13
Charisma2Memory13
Edge4Lift/Carry40kgs
Surprise14Movement10/+5
Damage Resist4Defense Rating7
Notes: Special Attribute Points spent on Body (1), Willpower (5), and Edge (3). Attribute Points spent on everything else; no karma spent.

Core Combat Info
Primary Armor Urban Explorer Jumpsuit (DR3) / GMC Bulldog (DR14/18) / Nissan Oni (DR13/16)
Primary Ranged Weapon: AK-97 (DV 5P, SA/BF/FA, AR 6/13/11/9/3, 100(b))
Primary Melee Weapon Unarmed (DV 1S, AR 4)

Condition Monitor
Phys 10
Stun 11
Notes: Pain Editor can be used to ignore wound penalties and remain conscious with full stun track

Skills
Active Skill Name .....Specialization .....Rating .....Dice Pool
Athletics01
BiotechFirst Aid411 (+2)
Close Combat01
Con01
Electronics06
EngineeringGunnery613 (+2/+5)
Firearms01
Influence01
Outdoors06
Perception06
PilotingDrones613 (+2)
StealthSneaking18 (+2)
Language and Knowledge Skills: English N, Current Events, Local Gangs, Military Tactics, Organized Crime, Reporting Techniques, Security Systems, SOTA Technology
Notes: 16 Skill Points used; 25 Karma spent on Stealth 1 and 4x specializations.

Qualities
Positive:
Analytical Mind
Aptitude (Piloting)
Exceptional Attribute (Intuition)
Hardening

Negative:
Honorbound (Assasin's Creed)
Weak Immune System

IDs/Lifestyles/Currency
Primary Lifestyle: Middle
Nuyen: ¥290
Fake IDs / Related Lifestyles / Funds / Licenses
Fake Sin R3 w/4x Fake License R5 (High Threat Reporter Credentials; Press Pass; Licenses for Cyberware, Firearms, and Electronics)

Contacts
TBD

Weapons
AK-97 (DV 5S, SA/BF/FA, AR 6/13/13/11/5, 100(b)) w/gas-vent system, imaging scope, smartgun system (internal)
Oni Unarmed (DV 5P+Speed Interval, AR 11/13 when piloted by PC)

Armor
Urban Explorer Jumpsuit (DR 3) w/Biomonitor, Chemical Protection 6

Matrix Stats
Primary Device: Proteus Poseidon (DR5) w/satellite link
Attack 0, Sleaze 0, Data Processing 6 (+1), Firewall 7
Attack Rating: 0, Defense Rating: 14 (+2)
Matrix Condition Monitor: 11
Programs (Running): Armor, Virtual Machine (Signal Scrubber, Toolbox)
Programs (Stored): Clearsight R6, Evasion R6, Maneuvering R6, AK-97 Targeting R6, Mapsoft

Augmentations
Control Rig R3 (Used)
Cerebral Booster R2 (Standard)
Pain Editor (Standard)

Gear
Most gear either worn or stowed in vehicle

Worn:
Urban Explorer Jumpsuit (DR3) w/Biomonitor, Chemical Protection R6

Carried:
Credstick (Silver)
Renraku Sensei (DR3)
Proteus Poseidon (DR5)

Nissan Oni (Equipped x3): Pilot 3, Sensor 5, Defense Rating 9, Initiative 6+4d6, Condition Monitor 13, Move 10/15+1
Autosofts: AK-97 Targeting R6, Virtual Machine (Maneuvering R6, Evasion R6)
AK-97 w/gas-vent system, imaging scope, smartgun system w/thermographic vision
Plastic Straps x10
Sensor Array R5 w/Camera, Cyberware Scanner, MAD Scanner, Motion Sensor, Ultrasound
 - Note: Camera is further equipped with Audio Enhancement, Smartlink, and Vision Enhancement
Note: One drone has different markings than the others, but is functionally identical except it also carries a silver credstick; the other two each carry a standard credstick

MCT-Nissan Rotodrone (Equipped):
Autosofts: Clearsight, Maneuvering
Pro-cam R6 w/audio enhancement, laser mic, thermographic, vision enhancement, vision magnification

GMC Bulldog:
Medkit
Rigger Interface (installed)
Satellite Link (mounted on roof)
Toolkit (Engineering)
Note: All drones will be stored in the Bulldog unless otherwise specified

Stored in Medkit:
Antidote Patch x2
Medkit Supplies x5
Narcoject x4
Psyche x1
Stim Patch R6 x2
Trauma Patch x2

Vehicle
Vehicle Name .....Handling .....Acceleration .....Speed Interval .....Top Speed .....Body .....Armor .....Pilot .....Sensor .....Seat
GMC Bulldog5/710101401612232/10
Nissan Oni3/41083091032 (5)-
MCT-Nissan Rotodrone320301605632 (6)-
MCT Horner32015351022-
MCT Gnat3410300021-

EDIT:
Changes in v1:
Completely rebuilt character with lessons learned from street samurai, decker, and magician. Optimized in many ways, and very much a one-trick pony that has to stay in the van, but offers significant recon and fire support abilities in addition to piloting skill.
« Last Edit: <10-07-19/1648:03> by ZeroSum »

CigarSmoker

• Chummer
« Reply #1 on: <09-28-19/1643:27> »
[...]
Proteus Poseidon (DR5, D6/F5+1, w/Clearsight (R6), Evasion (R6), Maneuvering (R6), Stealth (R6), Targeting (R6: FN HAR), Virtual Machine (Armor, Toolbox), Biometric Reader, Mapsoft)
[...]

The description on page 201 says Drone autosofts have to be specific for the Drone. Thats "Maneuvering" and "Stealth" for the others seems to be fine.

And other than that i just read there, the Autosoft slots are Pilot/2 i had that wrong in the other thread ^^

---

As a general "MinMax" advice i would try to get A on Attributes. You could save much money by using a lower rating control rig and on a lower rating RCC

ZeroSum

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <09-28-19/1655:25> »
[...]
Proteus Poseidon (DR5, D6/F5+1, w/Clearsight (R6), Evasion (R6), Maneuvering (R6), Stealth (R6), Targeting (R6: FN HAR), Virtual Machine (Armor, Toolbox), Biometric Reader, Mapsoft)
[...]

The description on page 201 says Drone autosofts have to be specific for the Drone. Thats "Maneuvering" and "Stealth" for the others seems to be fine.

And other than that i just read there, the Autosoft slots are Pilot/2 i had that wrong in the other thread ^^
I tend to agree with you, but until errata comes out that changes the name to [Drone Type] or [Specific Model] I'd hesitate to go off of descriptive text.

Targeting is clear-cut because it says "[Weapon] Targeting".

---

As a general "MinMax" advice i would try to get A on Attributes. You could save much money by using a lower rating control rig and on a lower rating RCC
I am already almost maxed out on attributes and would only really need 1 more to bump Logic to 5 (8), and this would only get me a single die on gunnery and piloting tests. This means dropping Resources A, which pays for the R3 control rig, which grants me +3 dice on every single test I make while jumped in. Going from 425k to 270k is a HUGE hit, and I think this is the better compromise.

Yes, I could be better in meat space with attributes A, but I would still suck at physical actions like shooting a gun or sneaking around, forget talking to anyone. For this type of character concept, staying in the van is definitely a must. The character background takes this into account as well, what with the allergies and weak immune system; I envision a sickly child who grew up using the Matrix as a means of escape, and learned that you can easily control devices through it. Why venture out in the big, scary world when you can stay at home and experience the world through human surrogates!?

Anyway, that's just my take.

CigarSmoker

• Chummer
« Reply #3 on: <09-28-19/1726:22> »
The 8 extra Attribute points could be used as follows:

Now increase Logic by 3 to 6(9) (+3 more dice on attacks)
Increase Reaction by 3 to 4 (if you ever have to drive some oldtimer with manual Control ...) 10 Karma saved
Increase Edge by 2 to 5 (Since you have D on Race thats all Race points on Edge )
Increase Strength by 1 to 2 (10 Karma saved)

get
Quality Exceptional Logic to make the 6 Logic legal for 12 Karma of the saved 20.

Not saying thats better, but if you look at the Karma bound in higher stats involved its huge.
« Last Edit: <09-28-19/1733:53> by CigarSmoker »

ZeroSum

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <10-07-19/1608:23> »
Changes in v1:
Completely rebuilt character with lessons learned from street samurai, decker, and magician. Optimized in many ways, and very much a one-trick pony that has to stay in the van, but offers significant recon and fire support abilities in addition to piloting skill.

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <10-07-19/1623:00> »
Also note that the Oni drones' DR is almost assuredly not 19.  Drones are Pilot+Armor, not Body+Armor.  Although, off the top of my head I don't recall what the formula is when you're jumped in, if it's any different...
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

ZeroSum

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <10-07-19/1630:47> »
Also note that the Oni drones' DR is almost assuredly not 19.  Drones are Pilot+Armor, not Body+Armor.  Although, off the top of my head I don't recall what the formula is when you're jumped in, if it's any different...
Yeah, I dislike that DR is both Defense Rating and Damage Resist, and that there are multiple defense ratings.

For example: the Defense Rating of an Oni during a vehicle attack (p200/201) is Pilot + Armor, or 3+10=13, and it's damage resist is 10. Note that the entire section is called "Using the vehicle as a weapon", and talks about situations where you're straight up ramming someone with a vehicle, not drones acting like regular metahumans in combat.

In "normal" combat, then, when the drone pilot is in control you're using Body + Armor, which is 9 + 10 = 19. In addition, it gets to roll Pilot 3 + Evasion 6 for 9 dice to react.

Defense Rating may or may not matter, depending on whether it can earn edge or not. Spirits can't, but drones, especially like this, are NPCs under PC control. So, up to GM as it's not stated anywhere.
« Last Edit: <10-07-19/1633:48> by ZeroSum »

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <10-07-19/1637:10> »
For added fun, DR is also Device Rating, which is also relevant.

Ah, and pg. 196 says it.  It's (your) Piloting+Armor for while you're in control/jumped in.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

ZeroSum

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <10-07-19/1640:11> »
For added fun, DR is also Device Rating, which is also relevant.
ARGH!

At least Device Rating is equal to Sensor, so that one is easy. One of the other reasons why I chose to spend 5k per drone to upgrade their Sensor suite.

They are by no means cheap at this point, but they can be pretty powerful in combat. High initiative, dice pools of 10 each, attack ratings in the mid 10s, defense ratings (depending) in the mid to high tens, and high armor and damage resist. Only one condition monitor and vulnerable to hacking, obviously, but for what you spend on them they can dish out the hurt and take it too; and as long as you can recover them you should be able to repair the frame.

ZeroSum

• Omae
« Reply #9 on: <10-07-19/1642:16> »
Ah, and pg. 196 says it.  It's (your) Piloting+Armor for while you're in control/jumped in.
Nice, so when I'm jumped in it's actually 16? Are specializations dice pool bonuses in SR6, or would that could towards the Piloting skill in this case? I can't say I've seen anything about that, really.

EDIT:
Yeah, so you're right about Attack and Defense Rating; so the Oni would be AR 8 and DR 13 on it's own. That's honestly not bad, considering it'll be 11 and 16 when I jump in. Just keep two of the three drones in cover while moving the third, and just jump back and forth. Bounding overwatch, go! Considering the three drones can cover each other's approach from Cover IV with no penalty (Smartguns FTW) you can make your own military unit just with drones.

EDIT 2:
And I still have no idea how you make an attack with the MCT Hornet's stinger. I guess this will have to be a GM decision; I would probably argue piloting (land and activate, maybe roll stealth first for element of surprise) or just ramming.
« Last Edit: <10-07-19/1650:09> by ZeroSum »