• 67 Replies

Boneguard

• Newb
« on: <08-24-20/1821:38> »
I  was checking DrivethruRPG when I saw it Slip Streams

markelphoenix

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <08-24-20/2028:12> »
Interesting additions. I kind of like the Mana Berries and Mana Crystals. Wish they had given them an availability.

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <08-24-20/2056:56> »
Got a pretty substantial re-definition for this edition of how Background Counts affect things.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Sir Ludwig

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Chummer
« Reply #3 on: <08-24-20/2240:06> »
Thanks for the post, it would have probably been a few days before I realized it was out.  Only had time to skim it, but like the Diz stuff.

Best,
SL
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #4 on: <08-25-20/0325:50> »
Oooooh, background count rules! Now we can start using those! O_O
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Lormyr

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #5 on: <08-26-20/0720:09> »
Got a pretty substantial re-definition for this edition of how Background Counts affect things.

Uhhh. . .yeah. That was unexpected. Seeing this just cements my impression that magic is going to be off the charts ridiculous good once the new book for it comes out, even compared to some other editions.
"TL:DR 6e's reduction of meaningful choices is akin to forcing everyone to wear training wheels. Now it's just becomes a bunch of toddlers riding around on tricycles they can't fall off of." - Adzling

penllawen

• Omae
  • Let's go. In and out. Twenty minute milk run.
« Reply #6 on: <08-26-20/0835:43> »
Seeing this just cements my impression that magic is going to be off the charts ridiculous good once the new book for it comes out, even compared to some other editions.
Uh oh. Got a tl;dr to help a brother out?

Lormyr

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #7 on: <08-26-20/0843:37> »
At worse, the most severe BCG makes magic just not function. That is a very rare area though.

Under that, the worse penalty only affects a single tradition, and results in one of: -1 die, edge actions cost 1 more edge, or can't spend edge at all.
"TL:DR 6e's reduction of meaningful choices is akin to forcing everyone to wear training wheels. Now it's just becomes a bunch of toddlers riding around on tricycles they can't fall off of." - Adzling

0B

• Chummer
  • Be seeing you
« Reply #8 on: <08-26-20/0849:12> »
I am not a fan of how they set up the background count. The different levels are completely un-intuitive.

At least with 5e's dumb "+1/+3/+6/+10," it was a modifier each time. The triangular number sequence isn't my first choice for any memorable system, but at least it goes up each time.

And from what I can tell, the effects don't stack, either. If you're at low, you get a -1 penalty. Medium means that edge costs 1 more. High means you can't spend edge. Nothing in the text says that the -1 penalty at low applies at medium or high.

Even if it stacks, you still have to memorize the order. It's just not a very well designed mechanic.

Edit: Ah, Lormyr, you made the same mistake as me- one of the definitions allows you to apply this to any tradition, and the other rule definition only applies it to one.
« Last Edit: <08-26-20/0851:34> by 0B »

Banshee

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #9 on: <08-26-20/0851:01> »
I would suggest using caution when making the assumption that the mana flows and ebbs are the same as background count.  They are aspected mana zones and have a lot in common but are still slightly different from a general background count that should and would interfere with all traditions.

While it may end up being very similar there is a difference in fluff at least between the two so we may still see a different system for "general" background counts.
« Last Edit: <08-26-20/0857:24> by Banshee »
Robert "Banshee" Volbrecht
Freelancer & FAQ Committee member
Former RPG Lead Agent
Catalyst Demo Team

Banshee

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #10 on: <08-26-20/0858:35> »
I am not a fan of how they set up the background count. The different levels are completely un-intuitive.

At least with 5e's dumb "+1/+3/+6/+10," it was a modifier each time. The triangular number sequence isn't my first choice for any memorable system, but at least it goes up each time.

And from what I can tell, the effects don't stack, either. If you're at low, you get a -1 penalty. Medium means that edge costs 1 more. High means you can't spend edge. Nothing in the text says that the -1 penalty at low applies at medium or high.

Even if it stacks, you still have to memorize the order. It's just not a very well designed mechanic.

Edit: Ah, Lormyr, you made the same mistake as me- one of the definitions allows you to apply this to any tradition, and the other rule definition only applies it to one.

I actually asked that very question about stacking during review and did bit get an answer ..  sad to see it is also not addressed in the book.

It should stack in my opinion.
Former RPG Lead Agent
Catalyst Demo Team

0B

• Chummer
  • Be seeing you
« Reply #11 on: <08-26-20/0904:34> »
I would suggest using caution when making the assumption that the mana flows and ebbs are the same as background count.  They are aspected mana zones and have a lot in common but are still slightly different from a general background count that should and would interfere with all traditions.

While it may end up being very similar there is a difference in fluff at least between the two so we may still see a different system for "general" background counts.

Ah, ok, if they're a special circumstance then that alleviates most of my concerns. Good to hear that the stacking should (does?) apply

Lormyr

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #12 on: <08-26-20/0908:48> »
I actually asked that very question about stacking during review and did bit get an answer ..  sad to see it is also not addressed in the book.

If that ends up the case then ok, but it begs the question from of did we really need both then?

0B

• Chummer
  • Be seeing you
« Reply #13 on: <08-26-20/0915:18> »
I don't mind the added complexity so long as it's clear, I wish they had done something similar to this with combat (Like this house rule).

A little info table would've been nicer than parsing through text, too

Banshee

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #14 on: <08-26-20/0919:08> »

If that ends up the case then ok, but it begs the question from of did we really need both then?

Who knows... I purposefully never write any of the magic stuff and only throw ideas and comments at the wall once in awhile during development to see what sticks.
Former RPG Lead Agent
Catalyst Demo Team