NEWS

Average Joe 2.0

• 10 Replies

LinKendel

• Newb
« on: <01-29-17/1814:33> »
Hello guys,

First sorry for my english. I'm a french guy, so it's not far from the truth to say that my language skills are terrible because it's in my genes.
I'm trying to come up with a shadowrunner creation process that follows a concept. I don't know if it's because of a serious program or just 2 big shots from a corpo playing "dare", but in the end an average joe was taken as base and was turned in a killing machine by just the addition of cyber/bio-ware. I understand that it won't be optimal, but it's ok as long as he can handle himself well in a fight. It's even ok if it's a one tricky poney.
I have a lot of ideas for the positive and negative qualities, but I need help to optimize the numbers.

What it means for the creation rules:
 - The guy is created following the "prime shadowrunner" rules (corpo has a lot of money $$$)
 - The attributes can't be high in the priority list, an average joe is not an athlete
 - The standard killer attributes (agility / reaction) can't be maxed out  (5 or 6) without at least a good RP reason
 - The killer skills (= combat skills like pistol, unarmed fight or sneak) can't be high in their native form (= need to buy skillwires or active hardwire)
Goal:
 - Best combat skills as possible
 - Best init as possible

So at first, my idea was to go for skillwires + skilljack for the skills and one cyberarm for the agility boost. But then with every init boost, it costed too much.
I tried then with move-by-wires. It was great: init + skill wire in one cyberware. But then I had either not enough essence to add cyber eye or if I switched the rest of the cyberware to alphaware I had no money left.
Then I found Active hardwires. And my boy, it's nice, with restricted gear quality you can have a level 12 skill !!! oO
I put in the quality biocompatibility (the corpo has been using a new protocol of drugs and chirurgy, but leaving long term sequels, that are going to be described by some of the negative qualities).

So for now, I have:
Advantage: restricted gear x 2 (20 karma), biocompatibility (5 karma), ambidextre (4 karma)

price, essence lost
260400, 3.5  : wired reflexes rating 3 alphaware: 3.5 <= restricted gear #1
 57600, 0.385: active hardwires alphaware: longarms rating 11 <= restricted gear #2
 28000, 0.245: active hardwires alphaware: fouet monofilament indice 7: 0.245
 18000,  0.8 : obvious cyberarm alphaware Capa 15
 15000       : +3 agi: capa -3
  3000         Cyberlimb optimization (shotgun): capa -2
  8500         shotgun slot: -10 capa
   500         Bulk modif rating 1
  1000         port for external loader
 18000,  0.8 : obvious cyberarm alphaware Capa 15
 15000       : +3 agi: capa -3
  3000         Cyberlimb optimization (monofilament whip): capa -2
  3000         finger tip compartment: capa -1
 10000         monofilament whip
  5000         electro main: capa 4, dispo 8R, dommage 9e
  5000         Electroshock: capa -4
  7200,  0.21  Cybereye alphaware: Capa 6

------------------------------------------
458200,  5,94

I took the shotgun because it's bad ass and because I can go Cavalier Arms Crockett EBR for the versatility.
I like the idea of 2 cyberarms (even if it's not mandatory). They will have a mark each, one with "Adam" and  one with "Cain".

What do you think ? Do you have better ideas or optimization ?

Xexanoth

• Chummer
« Reply #1 on: <01-30-17/0210:42> »
a few mistakes:
Restricted gear can only be taken once at chargen, which also solves the more than 25Karma in positive qualities :)
Hardwires are limited to 6 like all other skill-ware.(they forgot to add the ratings in the book)

As far as i know an average human has all attributes at 3. Which is easily achieved with attributes at c.

Qualities:
Bad Luck 12, n (seemed fitting, but replace it with one of you choice for at least 5 Karma or remove 10k Nuyen of the remaining money)
Biocompatability (Cyberware) 5, p
Restricted Gear(Synaptic Booster Rating 3) 10, p

BODY: 3
REACTION: 3 (6)
STRENGTH: 3
AGILITY: 3 (4)
CHARISMA: 3
INTUITION: 3
LOGIC: 3
WILLPOWER: 3
EDGE: 3

INITIATIVE: 6 (9) + 4d6
ESSENCE: 0,16

25 Karma for 50k Nuyen.

Ware:
Active Hardwires Rating 6 (Longarms) 0,27 Standard
Active Hardwires Rating 6 (Perception) 0,27 Standard
Active Hardwires Rating 6 (Sneaking) 0,27 Standard
Active Hardwires Rating 6 (Locksmith) 0,27 Standard (feel free to replace or remove, but i figured why not)
Active Hardwires Rating 6 (Monofilament Whip) 0,27 Standard
Synaptic Booster Rating 3 1,5 Standard
Bone Lacing (Titanium) 1,73 Used 
Cybereyes Basic System Rating 3(Image Link; Vision Magnification; Vision Enhancement 3; Smartlink; Flare Compensation; Thermographic Vision)
Obvious Full Arm (AGI 9, STR 3, Physical 5) 0,9 Standard (Customized Agility 6; Enhanced Agility 3, Fingertip Compartment, Monofilament Whip)

Weapons:
Cavalier Arms Crockett EBR(Imaging Scope; Shock Pad,Smartgun System, External )
Krime Boss (Personalized Grip; Smartgun System, External)
Monofilament Whip(Cyberarm)

Armor:
Armor Jacket 12
Chameleon Suit 9
Full Body Armor 15 + Helmet 3

Other:
Locksmith Kit

Nuyen left: 12.400
Karma left: 7
and of course alot of skills....

Kuirem

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <01-30-17/0345:01> »
Bien le bonjour, toujours un plaisir de croiser un concitoyen francais, même dans les profondeurs putrides des ombres. Par contre pour les explications je vais repasser en anglais pour que les shadowrunners moins habitués à la langue de Molière puissent suivre.

First thing, I don't think Prime Runner is really mandatory to build such a character, if you have a GM that is going with Prime Runner rules go with it but if you don't, consider building him "normal" so he fits at more tables.

Concept
What could be interesting is to determine what was your runner life before he got promoted as Test Lab Subject. His starting Attributes and Skills could be determined by that : Corp Drone? CHA and Etiquette, Accounting? LOG and Forgery, IT? WIL, INT and Computer… Take a look at the Life Module chargen in Run Faster for some more ideas about jobs and their respectives attributes and skills. Giving him a couple of hobbies would also help to give a RP reason raise an attribute or skills : sport, reading, geek, etc.

Attribute
The average Attribute is 3 but really few people have all at 3, in practice it will be a mix of 3-4 with one or two at 5 and one or two at 2. 1 and 6 are rare. Use his past to determine his starting Attributes and don't forget that he could have undergone some training during his "improvement" to raise some.

Skills
Most people in the 6th world will have some level (~3) into : Pistols, Perception, Computer and Etiquette. Then raise as you see fit. Your average joe could be black belt in karate and starts with 4 Unarmed or he could be a gun freak and know a bit more than "point the gun in this direction".

Wares
Here you will want some wares to raise your initiative and your AGI. As for Skillwires/Hardwires it's up to you, as I mentioned before he could have gone through some training, raising a skill from 0 to 6 takes 87 weeks for a normal Shadowrunner, but through intense "brainwashing style" training it could be much less.

If you pick more than a couple of Hardwires it's probably better to just pick Restricted Gear and invest into a Skillwire Rating 6. It's a big investment at the start but it can quickly "snowball" as you acquire more and more Activesoft.

Example

Let's go with one example without Cyberarms because it eats so much Nuyen and Essence and without Prime Runner.

Joe use to work at a Stuffer Shack, life wasn't so hot but the pay was enough to survive and even save a bit to buy some books. Joe liked all paper book, sure they aren't as easy to read as digital ones but they were a reminder of a time were everything was better (was it?).

That was until the day Aztechnology, the corp that owned the Shack, decided that a vending machine should be enough as seller but they didn't bother to find a new job for Joe. Desperate he had to sell all his books and move to a crappy flat, he filled countless forms and even got as far as complaining right at the reception (it's not like he could go further).

One day as he was annoying the receptionist a man in a suit came to him "You are lucky, we do have a job for you", Joe was thrilled and he signed carelessly all papers handled to him without reading and find himself engaged in some "Wares Experiment Program". The pay was great but the health plan, not so much and once the corp finished with him they just throw him away once again. With his new Augmented body there wasn't much honest jobs Joe could do so he dived into the Shadows.

Attributes
BODAGIREASTRCHAINTLOGWILEDG
33 (6 )4 (7 )254435

Qualities
Restricted Gear (Skillwires), SINner (National, Seattle). 20 Negative and 15 Positive left for whatever you see fit. 10 Karma into Nuyen and 10 Karma remaining.

Skills
  • Clubs 4 : Didn't you know? Every Stuffer Shack has a Stun Baton under the counter in case some punks get too close. It's rarely use of course, because most punks have guns, but they still get training to use them.
  • Computer 3 : Essential to survive the 6th world.
  • Etiquette (Corporate) 4 : All this time whining at the reception teached a few thing to Joe.
  • Negotiation (Bargaining) 6 : Want to buy something?
  • Palming 2 : I know all the tricks to hide stuff under your jacket kid, don't think you can fool me
  • Perception 5 : Kid, show me what you just hide under your jacket!
  • Pistols 2 : Of course there is a Cold America as well under that counter

Wares
  • Cybereyes (Rating 2) with Smartlink, Vision Magnification, Thermographic Vision, Flare Compensation
  • Datajack
  • Reaction Enhancers (Rating 2)
  • Skilljack (Rating 6, Used)
  • Skillwires (Rating 6, Used)
  • Wired Reflexes (Rating 1)
  • Muscle Toner (Rating 3, Used)
0,75 Essence left

Gear
  • Activesoft (Rating 6) (Sneaking)
  • Activesoft (Rating 6) (Longarms)
  • Activesoft (Rating 6) (Con)
  • Activesoft (Rating 6) (Pilot Ground Craft)
  • Fake Sin (Rating 4) with Fake License x 3 (Firearms, Restricted Cyberware, Driver)

50 100 Nuyen left for all your armor, guns and gear needs. If you go Prime Runner you can easily afford a Wired Reflexes Rating 2.

LinKendel

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <01-30-17/1829:04> »
Thanks guys, these are really cool advices.
Sorry for my first mistakes (ind 6 + twice restricted gear).
And for me it's not possible to go to 9 agility in a cyberarm. The rating is limited to 3.

ZeldaBravo

• Ace Runner
« Reply #4 on: <01-31-17/1522:49> »
I don't think I understand that average Joe thing. If you're average, you're not running because nobody will hire you. If you're running, you're not average by definition. I feel that's sort of restricting, and I don't want to force this mentality on anyone, I just fail to comprehend how an average fellow could become a pro runner.
The closest guy I can think of is Rock from Black Lagoon anime show, but he's far from average, he's a gifted negotiator.
*I have problems with clarifying my point in English, so sometimes I might sound stupid or rude.*

Desiani

• Chummer
« Reply #5 on: <01-31-17/1748:52> »
I don't think I understand that average Joe thing. If you're average, you're not running because nobody will hire you. If you're running, you're not average by definition. I feel that's sort of restricting, and I don't want to force this mentality on anyone, I just fail to comprehend how an average fellow could become a pro runner.
The closest guy I can think of is Rock from Black Lagoon anime show, but he's far from average, he's a gifted negotiator.

I think what he means is that Jim from down the block gets abducted by Black Research Corp and said Corp stuffs him full of metal just to see what happens then throws him away.

After that Jim can't get an honest job because he's got more chrome than skin so he runs to foot the bills

ZeldaBravo

• Ace Runner
« Reply #6 on: <02-01-17/0252:19> »
That's a bit too hard for my brain to understand.
Scientists.
*I have problems with clarifying my point in English, so sometimes I might sound stupid or rude.*

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <02-01-17/0335:30> »
I did something similar as an exercise to see how much ware you could cram into a human body...

If you are a corp project it becomes pretty trivial to create a super soldier from an average joe.
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

LinKendel

• Newb
« Reply #8 on: <02-01-17/1237:25> »
@Zeldabravo: he is an average joe before the corpo took him and play with him just for the fun of it. That's why he is 2.0, now.
@Desiani: yes exactly, it's just a roleplaying fun story and I wanted to see if it was viable
@Jack_Spade: fun exercise. That's quite the same spirit I had when I've decided to do average joe 2.0

cbsmith

• Newb
« Reply #9 on: <02-04-17/0216:08> »
Move-By-Wire is the way I try to go with this. You'll need to slot A for nuyen, and take Biocompatibility (Cyberware), and if you care about your social limit, some pricey armour to counteract Move-By-Wire's penalties... but if you get it up to Rating 3 + Skilljack 6 + Platinum Skillsoft Network Subscription, you've got a lot of versatility *and* speed there. Pick a weapon skill you really want to be great at, and do that with normal skills, and the rely on the Skillsoft Network to get you through most everything else.

Desiani

• Chummer
« Reply #10 on: <02-10-17/2328:17> »
Why move by wire vs Wired Reflexes? I know mechanic lynn WR is better because of reaction ehancers.

Is it just the RP flavor of move by wire?