NEWS

[SR5] Sniper rifle recommendations

• 55 Replies

Rift_0f_Bladz

• Ace Runner
  • Go big or DIE
« Reply #45 on: <01-09-15/1653:43> »
EBR as well, hard to get past the versitiality.

@Faket15, interesting wouldn't have suspected that either, oh well, shows that the recoil rules are to weak to me, personally, but oh well.
Quote- Mirikon on 7/30/2019 at 08:26:51
Agreed. This looks like a 'training wheels' edition, that you can use to introduce someone to the setting, and then shift over to something like 5E or 4E. Like how D&D 5E is best used as training wheels for D&D 3.X.

Turned in Toxshaman for ¥1 million/4 once.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #46 on: <01-09-15/1657:56> »
Rich people like to feel safe, that means police out in force and it means check points, usually at chokepoints into and out of zones, which means trying to look like you fit in as you make your way across the city and back.
Ah, but sometimes they feel a little TOO safe. 'Cause, guess what, it's NOT the pizza drone.

In the Neon Mo-hawk game:
    Our sniper regularly stands out on the ledge of the building shooting mooks with is Panther "sniper" cannon while screaming into a loud speaker "BOOOM!!!! HEAD SHOT!!!" that he packs with him. On the rare occasions that the building directly across from where the sniper needs to be actually is an office building (and not just a parking tower), the well placed and generous use of anti-personnel mines and grenades takes care of the occupants just fine.
You mean something like that?
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/6982725/1/Infiltrait0rN7

more like...

GM: "So the mission is an infliration of a secure lab facility to recover a scientist...."
Gunbunny: "Infiltration? Secure? guy in lab coat? gotcha. Mini-gun with SnS, Alpha with APDS, Gonna need.."
Sniper: 'Brining, my "rifle" and my Cannon, making sure loud speaker is charged"
Mage: "..... all I got is control actions, fireball, and ice sheet.... hmmm"
Rigger: "secure you said? AV rockets then to take down the door, Steel lynx with mini guns to mow down the guards..."
Me:"......I say way, way back. Like back in the safe house."
Gm: "... huh?'

gunbunny: <busy looking to make sure mods on weapons work as needed>
Sniper: "why?!!? this is going to be great!"
Mage: ".... he knows something...."
Rigger: "he's smiling! the GM is smiling!"
Me: "He said 'infiltration', 'secure' and scientist.... we're boned from the start, I'm not setting foot into his little deathtrap filled wonder house of death. Again."

Gunbunny: <right, so, you think I need the missile launcher too?"
Sniper: "oh! yea! Missiles!!"
Mage: ".... nah, it won't be like that again! trust me!"
Rigger: "right, only like 1 person died that time, and we still got paid. Sort of"
Me: <sigh> "fine I medkits. lots and lots of medkits."

(and for the record, Yes it was another deathtrap filled wonder house of death. Again)
<But it was fun>
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Ravensong

• Newb
  • Maxim 13 - Do unto others.
« Reply #47 on: <01-09-15/1807:31> »
Loving the feedback about the EBR. Truth is, much depends on the game one is playing.

Some of our runs have been in wide open spaces, far outside city limits. Our sniper was dropping grunts and focusing fire on spirits. Can't imagine how those runs would have gone without him.

Most of the games our evil GM runs, are more black trench coat urban politics and blood mage hunting, with periodic all out fire fights against heavily armed merc groups. Our last run was an extraction that occurred ahead of schedule and none of us had so much as a working comlink or knife to fight with. Glad to heck I had invested so much to master 52 Blocks.

Right now, looking to maximize the Long Arms skill to the absolute best. AA-16 is my baby. Cheap, powerful, great crowd control and room clearing. The JP-K50 (similar to EBR) is looking like a solid weapon for the price. And when the time and money is right, Barret all the way for those hard targets that need to be taken down in the first round.

In terms of being a sniper in an urban environment, finding a position is an adventure in and of itself. Rooftops, abandoned warehouses, unoccupied apartments all present prime spots to shoot from. Learning to climb, break and enter, and or knock out occupants (gas/stun) are all ways to find that perch. Sniper overwatch can be incredibly demoralizing to armed forces. Just food for thought.

Got to love the deathtrap filled wonderhouses and the stubborn badasses who plow through them rather than get a desk job.
Brad: We're gonna be bodyguards for teen rock-stars.
Schlock: Wouldn't the cause of freedom be better served if we killed them instead?

Fedifensor

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #48 on: <01-10-15/0035:49> »
I've had good luck using the Remington 950 with EX-Explosive rounds and called shots to the vitals (with the Sharpshooter feat and adept abilities to negate the penalty).  16P with -5 AP and 10 Accuracy is pretty nice for a weapon that costs about half of the money I get on an average run (including Smartlink, Silencer, and Personalized Grip).  I also carry Gel rounds for the times when lethal force isn't a good option.

ikarinokami

• Chummer
« Reply #49 on: <01-13-15/2134:20> »
at only 14F I think the Terrocota is awesome for the amount of firepower at that availability rating.

Rift_0f_Bladz

• Ace Runner
  • Go big or DIE
« Reply #50 on: <01-14-15/1305:28> »
Terracotta is awesome, but trying to cary much less conceal something (by fluff) that trolls think is big is kinda hard.
Quote- Mirikon on 7/30/2019 at 08:26:51
Agreed. This looks like a 'training wheels' edition, that you can use to introduce someone to the setting, and then shift over to something like 5E or 4E. Like how D&D 5E is best used as training wheels for D&D 3.X.

Turned in Toxshaman for ¥1 million/4 once.

Raven2049

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
  • CDT "Special" Agent
« Reply #51 on: <01-22-15/2032:40> »
speaking as a rigger  with 2 EBR's with APDS in them on my rotodrones, i absolutely love the EBR, burst fire on a sniper rifle? yes please!

i pissed off my gm one night and one of my drones went confetti (with me hot sim'd no less) because in Humanitarian Aid, at the very end, the big bad saw me taking down the minor shedim so easily from extreme range no less, that he focused all his effort into that one drone and a force 10 ball lightning came my direction.

i barely escaped alive from the dumpshock and biofeedback. it was a glorious night.

Ursus Maior

• Omae
« Reply #52 on: <01-23-15/0330:05> »
Sounds like a blast!  :D
Liber et infractus

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #53 on: <01-24-15/0033:19> »
Moral of the story: wait until the big bad to bring out your own big guns.  ;)
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Ravensong

• Newb
« Reply #54 on: <01-24-15/0238:41> »
Say hello to my Really Big friend...

Schlock: Wouldn't the cause of freedom be better served if we killed them instead?

Ravensong

• Newb
« Reply #55 on: <01-24-15/0243:34> »
Also a huge fan of Bull's Eye Double Tap... -15AP or more.