NEWS

Does anyone have experiances with the FATE system ?

• 6 Replies

Seras

• Chummer
« on: <03-06-19/1544:23> »
Hi,

I really like shadowrun, I do. But the rules can be a monster and just sitting down to RPG is almost impossible.

So I am locking for something quick and easy. I have locked into anarchy and it does not feel right, it tries to be simple and ...isnt

I do like the Venture city book from Evil hat productions and I have heard good things from FATE.

As anyone here ever tried Shadowfate ?

What are your experiances ?
I apologise for my posts beeing weird to read, I am fluent in english, but almost never write in english anymore :-(

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #1 on: <03-06-19/1616:11> »
Try Anarchy it's rule light Shadowrun. I like fate, played Dresden files' fate varent for several years. Yes it can work, but there is a good amount of work to get it going. Anarchy is faster.
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

Ajax

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <03-06-19/1642:45> »
I’ve always found FATE suffers from the same problem as Shadowrun, albeit from the opposite direction. Especially when it comes to new players or people who just aren’t comfortable with the sort of “high concept” gaming-as-shared-theatre set up of FATE.

For something that’s more “game-y” than FATE, but less “number crunchy” than Shadowrun, I’d highly recommend Savage Worlds.
Evil looms. Cowboy up. Kill it. Get paid.

neomerlin

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <03-06-19/1759:13> »
I love Fate, but Fate is not a game one can easily pick up and play as it is out of the book. Fate is a skeleton of a game that needs you and your players to fill out the details before you can play it properly. If you want to run Shadowrun in Fate, you're going to need to either find somebody who has written that hack for you, or hack it up yourself. Fortunately, if you want simple, Fate can do all of that with simple unified mechanics and you can get a lot of the Shadowrun specifics covered by Aspects, Stunts, and additional Skills. To Fate's credit, that skeleton allows you to set the dials of complexity at a range of places depending on your taste but, again, somebody needs to do it. If you put in the effort, though, you might find Fate is the best system out there for creating a gaming experience that resembles a novel or movie. It is darn fine narrative simulationism.

For other options:

Savage Worlds has been mentioned and that's about to get a new edition released and that edition is lookin' good. There's also supplements to cover sci-fi and fantasy so there's less legwork on you to make Shadowrun happen in Savage Worlds. Interface Zero also just kickstarted a third edition and that is kind of the go to Cyberpunk for Savage Worlds. I've heard of people using Interface Zero and the Fantasy book together to run Savage Worlds Shadowrun.

Finally, there's a great hack for Genesys for running Shadowrun. If you don't mind the custom dice, Genesys is an excellent system that I think would be nigh-perfect for Shadowrun. It combines a satisfying level of crunch with numerous narrative based widgets that players and GMs can use to keep the game moving and flexible.

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #4 on: <03-10-19/1218:29> »
Finally, there's a great hack for Genesys for running Shadowrun. If you don't mind the custom dice, Genesys is an excellent system that I think would be nigh-perfect for Shadowrun. It combines a satisfying level of crunch with numerous narrative based widgets that players and GMs can use to keep the game moving and flexible.

I'm guessing you could also combine the Terrinoth (sp?) and Beanstalk supplement to pull the tech and magic together fairly nicely.

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <03-10-19/1252:26> »
Karma in the Dark, Shadowrun in the Sprawl, Runners in the Dark are all Shadowrun "Hacks" of the Apocalypse system.   I've skimmed the rules for a couple of them, they seem like good "Rules Light" type of systems.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Shadowrun/comments/8gepsq/shadowrun_hacks_shadowrun_in_the_sprawl_vs_karma/

Seras

• Chummer
« Reply #6 on: <03-26-19/1627:16> »
@ Ajax and Neomerlin. I have checked out Interface Zero and Nova Praxis and it is what I was looking for.

Thanks for the tipps  ;)
I apologise for my posts beeing weird to read, I am fluent in english, but almost never write in english anymore :-(