NEWS

Faraday Dermal Weave

• 23 Replies

Anarkitty

• Omae
« on: <02-22-13/1635:29> »
BodywareEssenceCapacityAvailabilityCost
Faraday Dermal Weave0.5--5R5000¥

For those who are truly paranoid, there is no greater fear than a hacker getting into your internal 'ware.  Sure you can turn off the wireless, but even that isn't 100% reliable.  Faraday Dermal Weaving laces a non-ferrous conductive mesh just below the surface of the skin over the entire body, effectively blocking all wireless communication from passing into or out of the body.  This means that any internally implanted cyberware, RFID tags or anything else below the skin is impossible to connect to wirelessly, and may only be connected with skinlink or a datajack.  A skinlink-inhibiting version is available for an additional 500¥, which still allows devices outside of the skin to communicate via skinlink, but keeps anything internal from connecting to anything outside.
Cybereyes can be optionally modified so that the conductive mesh passes through the outside of the eye, or the inside of the eye socket, depending on whether the owner wants them to be inside or outside of the cage.
Faraday Dermal Weaving also completely blocks Technomancer abilities, cutting them off from the wireless Matrix.  If they connect to a Matrix node via a datajack or skinlink they can access it that way as normal.  They cannot use any Echos or abilities that involve manipulating or using wireless signals.

What do you all think?

JoeNapalm

• Ace Runner
  • Ifriti Sophist
« Reply #1 on: <02-22-13/1702:28> »

I love it.

Might make it harder to get, though.

The authorities would hate it.

-Jn-

nullnostalgia

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <02-22-13/1734:56> »
I would even go to say that stuff is totally F. 15-18R or F would be good.

I like it, though.  But could you add it to a cyberlimb, like how MDS Dermal Sheathing works?

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <02-22-13/1839:34> »
Gotta say, this seems like it would light up like a Christmas tree on stuff like MAD scanners.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Novocrane

• Ace Runner
« Reply #4 on: <02-22-13/1859:10> »
I'd look at the Universal Mirror Fabric in Spy Games - it's a less final version of this which reduces signal strength by rating *2. Then I'd look at the Dermal Sheath modifications; Wet Sheath, Chameleon Modification & Ruthenium Polymer Coating. (all of which modify the availability of the Dermal Sheath)

I wouldn't see it as out of line to copy the MDS subdermal sheathing model for UMF subdermal sheathing.

Anarkitty

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <02-26-13/1347:49> »
I agree the Authorities would have a problem with it, but at the same time I originally envisioned it as a "cure" for AIPS sufferers.  It should completely block the radio signals that aggravates Artificially Induced Psychotropic Schizophrenia.  As a medical device, I would make it R, not F, but maybe still 14R or 16R.

Gotta say, this seems like it would light up like a Christmas tree on stuff like MAD scanners.
It's non-ferrous, so it doesn't show up on a Magnetic Anomaly Detector at all.  To block radio waves it only needs to be conductive, not magnetic.
To determine if the detector finds a weapon, make a test using the device’s rating as the dice pool; a single hit will detect any ferrous-metal weapons or objects (guns, knives, etc).
The weave is a copper alloy, so it would seem that MAD doesn't pick anything up at all.  A Cyberware scanner will certainly pick it up though, and also see through it most likely.  It isn't good for concealing anything except radio transmissions.

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <02-26-13/1352:32> »
Just make it a modification for the normal Dermal Sheath with an availability of 12R, and incompatible with the Chameleon Modification (pretty much to give a 'trade off').
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

Redwulfe

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #7 on: <02-26-13/1555:29> »
Not sure if this would work as well as you would hope.

Your internal devices that need to be networked to other devices, such as image-links and smart-links, are still typically registered to your PAN which is communicated with via your com. Of course not all devices need to be networked and this is where this device would become very handy, though removing or turning off the wireless receiver would do the same thing. Or at least in my games where you can not turn on a device that is not receiving your signal or does not have the capacity to do so. To us that makes since, but to each there own.

The com is outside the weave and would have a tunnel, via skinlink, wireless to the datajack or simply hardwired, to communicate to the rest of the network. Hack the com and have it spoof commands to the network and you are in. It is the same as if all of these devices are set to not receive wireless, skinlinked, and slaved to your com, without the weave.

Just my thoughts, I could however be wrong so don't take my word on it.
Red
There are 10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't

Red

*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #8 on: <02-26-13/1840:36> »
Once you've hacked the comm, you don't even need to hack anything else - 99% of the time, that's all gonna be slaved together with the comm acting as the master node.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #9 on: <02-26-13/1926:26> »
A Cyberware scanner will certainly pick it up though, and also see through it most likely.  It isn't good for concealing anything except radio transmissions.
I would point out that Cyberware scanners are radio-based imaging, so in theory would be affected.

The person operating the scanner might raise an eyebrow if it's showing a blank space, however.

-k

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #10 on: <02-26-13/1948:58> »
A Cyberware scanner will certainly pick it up though, and also see through it most likely.  It isn't good for concealing anything except radio transmissions.
I would point out that Cyberware scanners are radio-based imaging, so in theory would be affected.

The person operating the scanner might raise an eyebrow if it's showing a blank space, however.

-k

That would be why it would light up like a Christmas tree - the rather unique readings would warrant investigation.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Anarkitty

• Omae
« Reply #11 on: <02-27-13/1856:48> »

-k

Millimeter wave detection systems, also known as cyberware scanners, process video taken in the millimeter wave spectrum to identify the energy signature of cyberware and concealed items (specifically weapons) on a person.
These devices can “see through” thick layers of clothing and other concealment to identify items from a distance of 15
meters away.

Cyberware scanners operate at 300Ghz, giving them a milimeter-wave scan frequency, which is great for scanning, but poor for communication.  To block short-range millimeter-wave scanning would require a mesh with conductive fibers less than a millimeter apart to completely block the signal.  Anything much wider, and the fibers would simply show up on the scan, along with anything on the other side of them.  The police don't need to dislike this implant because it doesn't conceal anything, it just keeps things from being communicated with.

By contrast, the 2.5GHz signals used by today's wireless networking are approximately 120 millimeter-wave radio signals.  Even if the Matrix uses something like 30 GHz signals (which is tipping the balance between range and clarity more than a little) the weave of the conductive fibers only has to be 1 centimeter to completely block any useful wireless communication.

If I were running a paranoid character who gets this implant to protect themself from hackers, I would have an implanted Commlink with DNI inside the Faraday cage that links to all of my internal cyberware, and datajacks for important external devices.  I would carry a cheap second 'link in broadcast mode but wouldn't have anything slaved to it, or specific things just to make it usable like a pair of glasses and some AR gloves.  Everything else would have the wireless disabled or removed entirely so it can't even be Spoofed.  If I feel real nasty I might load IC onto the public 'link as a nasty surprise for any script kiddies that decide to try me in my daily life.

Wildcard

• Omae
  • Hex.tall was here.
« Reply #12 on: <02-27-13/1916:06> »
Faraday Dermal Weaving also completely blocks Technomancer abilities, cutting them off from the wireless Matrix.  If they connect to a Matrix node via a datajack or skinlink they can access it that way as normal.  They cannot use any Echos or abilities that involve manipulating or using wireless signals.

I'd cut that first sentence.  It doesn't quite work with the second. A pedantic SR rules lawyer (lol) could say the first sentence overrides the second two.
I was permanently banned from the forums for consistently attacking my fellow posters and trolling the boards. I thought I could get "revenge" on FastJack for being banned by updating my sig to insult him, but all it proved was how much of an idiot I am.

Mason

• Ace Runner
  • You don't know as many spells as I do, omae!
« Reply #13 on: <02-27-13/2019:33> »

I'd cut that first sentence.  It doesn't quite work with the second. A pedantic SR rules lawyer (lol) could say the first sentence overrides the second two.

Nope. It says cuts them off from the WIRELESS Matrix. They can still connect through wires and skinlink, which replicates wired connections.

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #14 on: <02-27-13/2043:05> »

Nope. It says cuts them off from the WIRELESS Matrix. They can still connect through wires and skinlink, which replicates wired connections.

I believe his objection is to the "completely blocks Technomancer abilties" part.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites