NEWS

Johnny Lawrence; A 6e Karate Sensei

• 11 Replies

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« on: <01-14-21/1733:01> »
If you haven't watched Cobra Kai, shame on you.

If you have, please enjoy:

Johnny Lawrence, Karate Sensei

Name & Principle Alias Johnny Lawrence, aka "Eagle Fang"                  

Race D Attributes A Magic E Skills B Resources C                  

Attributes                  

Body:   5   (   6   )      
Agility:   5   (   6   )      
Reaction:   6   (   7   )      
Strength:   4   (   5   )      
Willpower:   3   (   3   )      
Logic:   1   (   1   )      
Intuition:   5   (   5   )      
Charisma:   3   (   3   )      
Edge:   5               
Magic/Resonance:   0               
Essence:   3.58               
Initiative:   12+1D6 (13+3D6 on Jazz)               

Defense Rating: 10               

Qualities / Racial Bonuses                  

Aptitude (Close Combat) -12
AR Vertigo 10               
Dependents 3 (Karate Dojo) 12               
Long Reach -12
SINner (CFS National) 8
Toughess -12            

Skills                  

Athletics   5                  
Close Combat (Unarmed +2) 7            
Exotic Weapons (Tonfa +2) 5            
Influence (Instruction +2) 2         
Perception   3      
Piloting (Ground craft +2)   1      
Stealth   2      

Knowledge / Language Skills                  

English                  
Martial Arts               
2050s Pop Culture
Handyman

Martial Arts
Karate
--styles known: Neijia, Tameshiwari, SWEEP THE LEG                  

Cyber & Bioware                  

Adrenal Pump Rating 2, Used
Suprathyroid Gland, Used                  

Weapons                  

Fists of Justice
Tonfa
Grenades: 1x Glitter, 1x Cleaner (Krime Katalog), 4x Smoke, 4x Stun

Gear

Armor Jacket with karate patches
Respirator, Rating 6
Micro Transceiver
No Commlink at all, not even a Meta Link (threw it away)
Baddass Mirrorshades Rating 3 (Low light, Flare Compensation)
Jazz, x 4 poppers
First Aid Kit (for bleeders)
Fake SIN rating 4 (AGS: Johann Kreese- stolen identity of Euro-wars Captain and former Karate Sensei)
Fake SIN rating 1 (CFS: Orville Tootenbacher - alias used for ordering deliveries and signing up for mailing lists)

Contacts
Sid C3/L1 Corp Exec (rich Step-dad)
Miguel C3/L3 Gang Member (Karate Protoge)
Carmen C2/L2 Doc Wagon Medic (Sort of Girlfriend, and Miguel's mom)
LaRusso C3/L1 Luxury Car Salesman (and sometimes enemy Sensei)

Lifestyle                  

1mnth Low Lifestyle (Crappy apartment in Reseda)                  

Commentary:
Ok I'm enthralled with Cobra Kai.  Sue me.
On making a Sixth World version of Johnny:  I hate MagicRun, so I wouldn't make him an adept.  That means he'll need augmentations to be relevant in a team of Shadowrunners, and I wanted to take a light touch to keep him from being a full-on samurai.  The augmentations I picked are rarely used, and arguably still very good... other than the lack of Wired Reflexes or such.   To address that game need, he's a Jazz-popper.  Doesn't seem to far out of line with the character, just call them "Banquet Poppers" and it works.

Since he's not an adept, and since guns aren't his thing, and since he has a good Athletics skill, his ranged offense is Grenades.  It just has to be.  Of course, I don't have to be abusive about it, so I didn't buy any Fraggers.  I tied at least one hand behind my back in making him effective, but unless you're in a really min-maxed pack of munchkins I think he's a viable asset to the team.  Not a liability in social and infiltration scenes (no guns or cyberware to set off alarms is a pretty good advantage, actually) and when it comes to combat, he's actually not bad. 15 dice for unarmed/karate moves, before Adrenal Pump!  And between Long Reach and the very niche Neijia, he's got some surprises.  Of course I purposely didn't give him any bone density or whatnot, just like I didn't give him frag grenades.  If you absolutely MUST make a murderhobo, then swap out the tonfa and specialization for a Monofilament Whip.  Ho, hum.
« Last Edit: <01-14-21/1734:43> by Stainless Steel Devil Rat »
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Raiderjoseph

• Omae
  • When in doubt, blame the dragons.
« Reply #1 on: <01-14-21/1736:28> »
The can of worms one could open with using a canon character in a Shadowrun game is boundless. Fuck it. I'm making Ichiban.
From To<<Matrix message>>
Thoughts
Mentor
"As a Mage I have no issue with 'shoot the face first'. He deserves it and it's about time they stopped targeting me right from the go." -The Tekwych

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <01-14-21/1809:40> »
Pepper Punch Grenades my man.  Less noise and collateral damage.  Toss in Toxin Extractor and/or Tracheal filters for self immunity lulz.  Not as much up front damage, but the with the status effects they're still basically out of the fight.

Also, Precise Strikes, Nanoconstruction, and Zapper Coating.  Gets the Tonfa up to 6S(e) with the Adrenaline pump going.  If you use the Zoe Heritage Tonfa you can refund the Exotic weapon skill points.  Also Iron Skin and assorted kicks for more unarmed DV.  Either way gives you some non-grenade, but still decent Damage options for those occasions when grenades are ill-advised. 

And Crossbow or Bow if you want to have something that goes farther than a thrown weapon, but still fits the theme.  No additional skill investment, just a couple hundred Nuyen.

And can't really use a fake SIN without a Commlink, can you?  There aren't hardcopy SINs....

RickDeckard

• Chummer
  • It can't rain all the time.
« Reply #3 on: <02-02-21/1146:30> »
Pepper Punch Grenades my man.  Less noise and collateral damage.  Toss in Toxin Extractor and/or Tracheal filters for self immunity lulz.  Not as much up front damage, but the with the status effects they're still basically out of the fight.

Also, Precise Strikes, Nanoconstruction, and Zapper Coating.  Gets the Tonfa up to 6S(e) with the Adrenaline pump going.  If you use the Zoe Heritage Tonfa you can refund the Exotic weapon skill points.  Also Iron Skin and assorted kicks for more unarmed DV.  Either way gives you some non-grenade, but still decent Damage options for those occasions when grenades are ill-advised. 

And Crossbow or Bow if you want to have something that goes farther than a thrown weapon, but still fits the theme.  No additional skill investment, just a couple hundred Nuyen.

And can't really use a fake SIN without a Commlink, can you?  There aren't hardcopy SINs....

I've been scouring the rule books and can't find any references to Precise Strikes, Nanoconstruction, Iron Skin or Zapper Coating. Where are they mentioned?

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <02-02-21/1516:51> »
I mean if you hate magic you hate magic, but I don't feel adepts are magic run this edition.  Maybe deep deep deep into a campaign they become so. But you'd be a far far better unarmed fighter with ware until you are like 250+ karma in. Now ware+magic still is stupid good.

Edit to add, tonfa as exotic weapons? I'd roll them under close combat. Are they exotic in a supplement?

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <02-02-21/1527:27> »
I mean if you hate magic you hate magic, but I don't feel adepts are magic run this edition.  Maybe deep deep deep into a campaign they become so. But you'd be a far far better unarmed fighter with ware until you are like 250+ karma in. Now ware+magic still is stupid good.

It's not so much I HATE magic... as I thought it'd be more interesting to not use adept powers. I literally can't remember the last time I saw a Shadowrun martial artist who was NOT an adept.  So... being different is all.

What I HATE is spirits ;)

Edit to add, tonfa as exotic weapons? I'd roll them under close combat. Are they exotic in a supplement?

Yeah, probably should have been Close Combat but Firing Squad said they were Exotic.  Que sera sera.  Plus, with investment in exotic, the character is easily enough upgradeable if a light-cyber and no-magic martial artist doesn't pull enough weight in a group of more optimized builds.  Give him a MFW and it doesn't matter he's light on cyber and has no magic :D
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <02-02-21/1615:33> »

I've been scouring the rule books and can't find any references to Precise Strikes, Nanoconstruction, Iron Skin or Zapper Coating. Where are they mentioned?

Firing Squad supplement. 

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <02-02-21/1640:46> »

It's not so much I HATE magic... as I thought it'd be more interesting to not use adept powers. I literally can't remember the last time I saw a Shadowrun martial artist who was NOT an adept.  So... being different is all.

What I HATE is spirits ;)

Yeah, probably should have been Close Combat but Firing Squad said they were Exotic.  Que sera sera.  Plus, with investment in exotic, the character is easily enough upgradeable if a light-cyber and no-magic martial artist doesn't pull enough weight in a group of more optimized builds.  Give him a MFW and it doesn't matter he's light on cyber and has no magic :D

Cool, I'd just add some bone based augment so he hits harder. 4Dv at least gets you into the heavy pistol scale of damage.

as an aside I think its funny Titanium lists the damage change as 4DV, max bone density+2dv because consistency

RickDeckard

• Chummer
  • It can't rain all the time.
« Reply #8 on: <02-03-21/0637:45> »

Firing Squad supplement.

Ah, 6e, that's why. Nevermind then.

MercilessMing

• Omae
« Reply #9 on: <02-03-21/1331:13> »
Jazz?  I think you mean Coors Banquet, friend.

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #10 on: <02-03-21/1332:54> »
To address that game need, he's a Jazz-popper.  Doesn't seem to far out of line with the character, just call them "Banquet Poppers" and it works.

:D

etJake

• Newb
« Reply #11 on: <12-17-23/2244:18> »
Thanks for making this.  Great for not necessarily a PC but as stats for a non-cyberwared/magiced NPC.  Could be a contact, old buddy who has run afoul of a gang, target of a street level mission.