NEWS

Armors and Stacking

• 91 Replies

Glyph

• Ace Runner
« Reply #15 on: <09-06-10/1842:35> »
The purpose of the armor was maximum concealability.  Folks won't know that the troll is, in fact, heavily armored until the bullets start bouncing off of him.  I think the best armor/damage resistance I've heard of at character creation was 40 dice (again, with a troll).
Most of the armor is pretty concealable, but the helmet would probably draw attention, even if he got an athletic-looking one.  Although if he got the Urban Explorer Jumpsuit instead of the coat, along with something like a skateboard or skates, the helmet wouldn't look out of place.

Now, a chameleon suit with thermal dampening would be really scary, especially for a stealthy troll like this one.

Kontact

• Prime Runner
  • You called?
« Reply #16 on: <09-06-10/2019:39> »
The purpose of the armor was maximum concealability.  Folks won't know that the troll is, in fact, heavily armored until the bullets start bouncing off of him.  I think the best armor/damage resistance I've heard of at character creation was 40 dice (again, with a troll).
Most of the armor is pretty concealable, but the helmet would probably draw attention, even if he got an athletic-looking one.  Although if he got the Urban Explorer Jumpsuit instead of the coat, along with something like a skateboard or skates, the helmet wouldn't look out of place.

Now, a chameleon suit with thermal dampening would be really scary, especially for a stealthy troll like this one.

Book never says there isn't a concealable version of the PPP helmet. :)

Just wear a hat on top of it if you want to be discrete.  ;)

Casazil

• Omae
  • There can be only one!
« Reply #17 on: <09-07-10/0542:51> »
Do add in some armor mods to protect against thermal cold electricity radiation checmicals may as well lol
"If at first you don't succeed blame someone else"
Joel "Casazil" Rogers
Catalyst Demo Team Shadowrun Special Agent #251
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/CasazilsShadowrun/

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #18 on: <09-07-10/0553:03> »
"Only" 11?  :) We haven't included bonus damage from hits yet.  A good roll pushes it above into lethal range rather quickly.
7 nethits is pretty unlikely for most characters.
With 15 dice plus an edge reroll, the odds start moving in your favor.

Also, even if the 15 dice pool only gets 5 hits (for the average) that is a total of 21 stun.  If the troll has average Willpower, and doesn't resist 11 points of damage, then he falls into physical from overflow.  And he's unconscious.  Ouch.

Even a more "reasonable" number of dice (like 8 to 10) produces enough hurt that the troll will either be unconscious or almost there.  He's in trouble at that point.  If he's alone that is (having a team to back you up is the A#1 thing in SR).
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

KeyMasterOfGozer

• Newb
« Reply #19 on: <09-07-10/1041:28> »
Also, even if the 15 dice pool only gets 5 hits (for the average) that is a total of 21 stun.  If the troll has average Willpower, and doesn't resist 11 points of damage, then he falls into physical from overflow.  And he's unconscious.  Ouch.

Even a more "reasonable" number of dice (like 8 to 10) produces enough hurt that the troll will either be unconscious or almost there.  He's in trouble at that point.  If he's alone that is (having a team to back you up is the A#1 thing in SR).
Earlier was talking Base Damage 6.  5 net hits gets you only 11 damage, right?  Where does the 21 come from?

« Reply #20 on: <09-07-10/1046:52> »
I can see the half shirt form fitting body armor as concealable, no worries there.

The full body condom version of form fitting body armor seems about as concealable as a full wetsuit that covers the face and hands.

"The full-body suit covers the entire body, including the extremities, and comes with gloves, booties, and a hood." (Aresnal, pg 48)

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #21 on: <09-07-10/1052:55> »
I can see the half shirt form fitting body armor as concealable, no worries there.

The full body condom version of form fitting body armor seems about as concealable as a full wetsuit that covers the face and hands.

"The full-body suit covers the entire body, including the extremities, and comes with gloves, booties, and a hood." (Aresnal, pg 48)
True, but I don't think you have to wear the gloves, booties and hood all the time. Kinda like Spider-man or Supes wearing their costume under their street clothes.

That reminds me, where the heck does Supes hide the cape?!?

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #22 on: <09-07-10/1148:37> »

Earlier was talking Base Damage 6.  5 net hits gets you only 11 damage, right?  Where does the 21 come from?
Base damage: 6 +1 EX explosive ammo +4 called shot (-4 dice pool) produces a base of 11.  With +5 from a narrow burst that gives a modified 16.  With 5 net hits you get 21.
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

Casazil

• Omae
  • There can be only one!
« Reply #23 on: <09-07-10/1758:11> »

True, but I don't think you have to wear the gloves, booties and hood all the time. Kinda like Spider-man or Supes wearing their costume under their street clothes.

That reminds me, where the heck does Supes hide the cape?!?

Down a leg.
Joel "Casazil" Rogers

Casazil

• Omae
  • There can be only one!
« Reply #24 on: <09-07-10/1759:57> »

Base damage: 6 +1 EX explosive ammo +4 called shot (-4 dice pool) produces a base of 11.  With +5 from a narrow burst that gives a modified 16.  With 5 net hits you get 21.

An heaven forbid someone goes full auto
Joel "Casazil" Rogers

John Schmidt

• Omae
« Reply #25 on: <09-07-10/1814:13> »
It is curious...do you think that Seattle was choosen as the central setting for Shadowrun because the designers knew that players would want to stack amor...like greatcoat, form fitting, helmet, forearm guards?

Just imagine living in Miami (say July) running around with all of that on. Seems to me that runners would be dropping like flies from heat exhaustion and dehydration.  ;D
It's not the one with your name on it; it's the one addressed "to whom it may concern" you've got to think about.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #26 on: <09-07-10/1820:56> »
It is curious...do you think that Seattle was choosen as the central setting for Shadowrun because the designers knew that players would want to stack amor...like greatcoat, form fitting, helmet, forearm guards?

Just imagine living in Miami (say July) running around with all of that on. Seems to me that runners would be dropping like flies from heat exhaustion and dehydration.  ;D
Nah, Seattle was central because that's where most of them lived at the time... ;)

John Schmidt

• Omae
« Reply #27 on: <09-07-10/1838:46> »
No it wasn't. Fasa was based in Chicago!  ;D

Maybe they put it in Seattle because they wanted to live where you wouldn't freeze to death in the winter and sweat to death in the summer.  ???
It's not the one with your name on it; it's the one addressed "to whom it may concern" you've got to think about.

Mooncrow

• Chummer
« Reply #28 on: <09-07-10/1841:03> »
No it wasn't. Fasa was based in Chicago!  ;D

Maybe they put it in Seattle because they wanted to live where you wouldn't freeze to death in the winter and sweat to death in the summer.  ???

If I remember right, didn't The Bomb get dropped on where their first HQ was located?

John Schmidt

• Omae
« Reply #29 on: <09-07-10/1847:27> »
I believe that it did.  ;D