NEWS

Why is the Sleeping Tiger worth $13,500?

• 123 Replies

Datastream

• Newb
« on: <11-05-17/0853:48> »
I'm trying to work out why the Sleeping Tiger suit is worth $13,500 and according to a number of sources of information is the go to suit.

I assume the Ruthenium Polymer Coating is the reason, which gives a -2 (Rating 3, +1 as your head is still exposed) to perception tests but I don't quite understand why that makes it worth $10,000 more than every other suit. In addition, if you take the coat to go over it, don't you lose the bonus from the coating? So you can get 16 armor and not be invisible, or you can have 13 armor and the -2 perception check. Is there a utility to the suit that people can advise me on?

adzling

« Reply #1 on: <11-05-17/1024:08> »
it's an awesome deal because:

1). ruth polymer 3 costs $15k (more than the armor by itself) and has an availability of 16f. Somehow this suit is both cheaper and easier to obtain than the ruthenium coating by itself.

2). No, you cannot wear something over your suit and still take advantage of the ruth coating, duh (you must insert common sense to play tabletop games).

3). dont forget the rules for partial coverage of ruth coating (this suit does not cover your head, hands or feet) on page 86.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #2 on: <11-05-17/1441:16> »
The RP coating is certainly one of the big factors in the cost, yeah. But the reason you get the 'discount' from 15k and 16F availability is because someone decided to manufacture a status symbol. Today's version would be a stylish BMW luxury sedan, or perhaps a Prada purse, or a pair of Christian Louboutin heels, or any other visible status symbol that implies both wealth and more taste than the posers who go for flashy gold chains, diamond-studded Rolexes, and the like. And it is STILL out of reach for most people. That one suit is more than even a High class lifestyle for a month. Middle class types probably wouldn't be able to save up enough for it in an entire year (unless they were dipping into criminal acts). It is like being able to walk past the line at Dante's Inferno. You might not be able to just get reservations in Hell at the snap of your fingers, but everyone can see you're better than the people who are just out dancing for the night.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Slipperychicken

• Chummer
« Reply #3 on: <11-05-17/1621:07> »
It's the best possible starting armor, and it not only makes you less suspicious-looking than FBA, it makes you look like you could theoretically belong at a party.

Aria

• Ace Runner
« Reply #4 on: <11-06-17/0515:07> »
Doesn’t quite gel with the description in SR4’s Arsenal which describes it as out moded  “corporate street tough” look... but maybe by 5th Ed they’ve rebranded!?! Ah yes, just reread the description in R&G... for that price I don’t see why it couldn’t come with a hood to complete the chameleon outline??
Excel Cha Generators <<CG5.26>> & <CG6.xx> v36

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <11-06-17/1339:13> »
Because a hood doesn't fit the corporate look. The Sleeping Tiger isn't really about stealth, any more than a Luxury SUV is about off-roading. It is basically 'entry level exclusive', too expensive for 'normal people' to get, but too basic for the creme de la creme to wear.

I expect the RP gets more work changing color schemes (all black, pinstripes, etc.) than going with stealth, honestly.

My Characters

Aria

• Ace Runner
« Reply #6 on: <11-06-17/1611:39> »
Would make it slightly less über! From a game rather than RP perspective, I’m happy enough with that, never did much like the ‘best piece of gear’ thing, there should be pros and cons! Now I need to go and fix my char generator :P

oxford_fumble

• Newb
« Reply #7 on: <11-15-17/1053:09> »
Soooo....
Does it actually look like a suit?

I've had a fair bit of trouble visualising it - especially taking into account the description in the canon companion (http://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=20973.msg376450#msg376450)...
(Yes, I get that Vashon have refreshed the line - just can't quite picture it)

Slipperychicken

• Chummer
« Reply #8 on: <11-15-17/2341:36> »
Would make it slightly less über! From a game rather than RP perspective, I’m happy enough with that, never did much like the ‘best piece of gear’ thing, there should be pros and cons! Now I need to go and fix my char generator :P

I agree with this. Personally, I think that high-fashion armor should rarely go over armor 9, and even the most expensive discreet suits should not go higher than 12. Also, a custom-fitted fashion-statement which costs more than some cars should be easily traced with basic detective-work. With all the details that the good guys could squeeze from the tailor, you might as well have left behind a card with your (fake) SIN on it.

Having fashion-armor with a higher rating than the same armor rating as FBA just annihilates any sense that there's balance or a trade-off.
« Last Edit: <12-02-17/0227:45> by Slipperychicken »

Soahl

• Newb
« Reply #9 on: <11-16-17/0513:32> »
Soooo....
Does it actually look like a suit?

I've had a fair bit of trouble visualising it - especially taking into account the description in the canon companion (http://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=20973.msg376450#msg376450)...
(Yes, I get that Vashon have refreshed the line - just can't quite picture it)

I've seen this point debated. Some people say that it does, because it's under the High Fashion category. Others say that not all High Fashion is suits, so no. I personally run with it as an entire ensemble. Basically, by this point in the Shadowrun Timeline, Shadowrunners have been used in media/movies as the go-to action heroes, protagonists, and I'm sure antagonists. For a regular, every day person, dressing like a Shadowrunner is copying the look that've become iconic in the movies, and that's precisely what the Sleeping Tiger is. It's that Iconic Shadowrunner look, all spruced up so you can look like a million nuyen no matter the occasion and still keep that super cool air of mystery that the Shadowrunner look brings.

This basically makes it an outfit that's as comfortable in a high class night club as it is out on the streets. You could even make an argument for it being right at home in a fancy restaurant or similar situations. It's expensive, it's custom, and it's designed to look like the coolest action heroes on the Trideo screen.

Also, I'm super glad someone pointed it out already: RPC also works as Electrochromatic, making it so you can change the color/pattern of the outfit on a whim. While the stealth capabilities are nice (and a -2 to all Perception tests to see you isn't something to be dismissed when the average joe has 3-4 dice to spot you), the ability to change its color scheme/pattern to whatever's trending is the ultimate show stopper for this slick number.

Aria

• Ace Runner
« Reply #10 on: <11-16-17/0802:44> »
Also, I'm super glad someone pointed it out already: RPC also works as Electrochromatic, making it so you can change the color/pattern of the outfit on a whim. While the stealth capabilities are nice (and a -2 to all Perception tests to see you isn't something to be dismissed when the average joe has 3-4 dice to spot you), the ability to change its color scheme/pattern to whatever's trending is the ultimate show stopper for this slick number.
Shouldn't that be -4 to perception??  I admit the wording in R&G on ruthenium isn't that clear but it says -Rating (3 in the case of ST) +2 full, +1 mostly full, +0 half...since it makes no sense for the perception mod to get worse if you are completely covered in the stuff...

Duellist_D

• Chummer
« Reply #11 on: <11-29-17/2318:03> »
Correct, Aria.

IIRC FAQ and/or errata clarrified this

Ghost Rigger

• Omae
« Reply #12 on: <12-01-17/2339:08> »
The real question is: how does the Sleeping Tiger sell for 13.5k when older versions were literally designed to look like garbage and the Executive Suite provides nearly as much high-class protection for a paltry 2k? Seriously, it's an armored jacket you can wear to a dinner party. The answer probably has something to do with conspicuous consumption, but I never quite fully understood that way of thinking anyways.
After all you don't send an electrician to fix your leaking toilet.

A Guide to Gridguide

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #13 on: <12-02-17/0111:48> »
Older versions didn't have the camo ability.

My Characters

Slipperychicken

• Chummer
« Reply #14 on: <12-02-17/0225:58> »
The real question is: how does the Sleeping Tiger sell for 13.5k when older versions were literally designed to look like garbage and the Executive Suite provides nearly as much high-class protection for a paltry 2k? Seriously, it's an armored jacket you can wear to a dinner party. The answer probably has something to do with conspicuous consumption, but I never quite fully understood that way of thinking anyways.

What kind of dinner party is letting in someone dressed in sleeping tiger? I always saw it as the kind of thing one could plausibly wear to like, a rowdy club or maybe some galas, not a formal high-class social setting.

Also, remember that the sleeping tiger outfit shadowrunners love is actually a specific combination of 'Sleeping Tiger', 'Synergist Business Line Longcoat', and 'Custom Ballistic Mask'. That gives armor rating 13(+5) and the theoretical chance to not instantly get thrown out of a club for a total of ¥16,100.