NEWS

Internet Regulation

• 58 Replies

Mara

• Ace Runner
« Reply #15 on: <11-13-12/1144:06> »
There are sources for non-biased news still out there: BBC News and NPR News.

Of course, there are some news organizations that would tell you that those are biased, but they REALLY aren't. They just tend to stick straight to the facts and limit opinions, which is the opposite of most of the major news news networks.

They also don't use The Onion as a primary source....

Xzylvador

• Prime Runner
  • Ask me about NERPS! 30% Sales!
« Reply #16 on: <11-13-12/1211:47> »
Al Jazeera is actually quite unbiased in their reporting too.
They write more on topics or regions that much of the western press barely reports about or only mention a a small footnote.
(Unimportant stuff that doesn't sell as many papers as important news about Paris Hilton's latest boyfriend)

Jian

• Chummer
« Reply #17 on: <11-13-12/1231:53> »
They write more on topics or regions that much of the western press barely reports about or only mention a a small footnote.
(Unimportant stuff that doesn't sell as many papers as important news about Paris Hilton's latest boyfriend)

I have never understood why Paris Hilton's latest boyfriend or other gossip-mongering sells papers or gets ratings or what have you. But then I guess I'm too logical to understand. :P

Twitchy D

• Omae
  • Paranoia is a survival trait.
« Reply #18 on: <11-13-12/1239:47> »

I have never understood why Paris Hilton's latest boyfriend or other gossip-mongering sells papers or gets ratings or what have you. But then I guess I'm too logical to understand. :P

Because we live in a world where cheap celebrity is the closest thing that we have nowadays that could possibly be interperated as legitamate heroism and bravery.

Typing that sentence out made me depressed. :(

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #19 on: <11-13-12/1254:48> »
I almost listed AlJazeera with the others, but I don't feel they have any "weight" yet (at least in American media).

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #20 on: <11-13-12/1343:43> »
Because we live in a world where cheap celebrity is the closest thing that we have nowadays that could possibly be interperated as legitamate heroism and bravery.

Worship your new religion!  WORSHIP IT OR BE CAST OUT!!!
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Twitchy D

• Omae
  • Paranoia is a survival trait.
« Reply #21 on: <11-13-12/1402:48> »
Worship your new religion!  WORSHIP IT OR BE CAST OUT!!!

But I can't! I like reading books too much to be a mindless consumer! There's got to be some way to cure me, doc, right?! Hypnosis, psychological conditioning, I'll even take trepanning! You gotta help me, doc! YOU GOTTA HELP MEEEEE!!! :'(

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #22 on: <11-13-12/1736:27> »
There's all sorts of bias.  Selecting what not to report is a form of bias (or is it censorship?).  But, ya, the BBC tends to lay out "just the facts" more than other news orgs out there.

It seems to me that most "news" organizations out there are, more and more, trying to compete for ratings/ad money, and so tend to sensationalize a story, or only pick the ones that fit into the "dramatic story" style.

Call me a cynical, jaded Gen-X slacker, but such is our world.
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

Jian

• Chummer
« Reply #23 on: <11-13-12/1745:38> »
I am a cynical Millennial generation gamer, and I agree with your very much, sir. I'd tack on that some certain networks have been thoroughly politicized, at least in America... *cough*Nox Fews and EmEs-EnBeCee*cough*

DWC

• Omae
« Reply #24 on: <11-13-12/1816:43> »
I'd say the BBC has a clear bias.  That bias is "the Americans are being idiots again", so it's at least nonpartisan enough to be useful since it treats both ends of our rabid political spectrum with equal contempt.

Crunch

• Ace Runner
« Reply #25 on: <11-13-12/1915:12> »
There are sources for non-biased news still out there: BBC News and NPR News.

Of course, there are some news organizations that would tell you that those are biased, but they REALLY aren't. They just tend to stick straight to the facts and limit opinions, which is the opposite of most of the major news news networks.

Best option, as always, is to compare multiple sources. If a news story is only being carried by one outlet or outlets with a particular agenda then chances are it's bunk. Personally I like to cross reference BBC News, NPR, the Daily Show and the NY Times, with the occasional dip into the Dallas Morning News and Yahoo news for light and prurient stories.

Typically if three to four respected media outlets with different parent companies and political sponsors are reporting the same outline of facts then chances are it's verifiable.

Fox does seem to have by far the lowest factual accuracy of any major media source though. Studies like this one
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/23/fox-news-less-informed-new-study_n_1538914.html
keep showing that Fox watchers are actually less informed than people who watch no news at all when tested on verifiable factual events.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #26 on: <11-14-12/0043:08> »
I'd say the BBC has a clear bias.  That bias is "the Americans are being idiots again"...
Um, when did this become news?

Oh, right, the BBC is far enough away from the US to need the constant reminder, while the CBC doesn't even have to.  ;D

And I just found another reason to not go to the next GenCon.  :P
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Crunch

• Ace Runner
« Reply #27 on: <11-14-12/0057:59> »
I'd say the BBC has a clear bias.  That bias is "the Americans are being idiots again"...
Um, when did this become news?

Oh, right, the BBC is far enough away from the US to need the constant reminder, while the CBC doesn't even have to.  ;D

And I just found another reason to not go to the next GenCon.  :P

Honestly I listen to a lot of BBC and I honestly think there's as little bias as possible towards American affairs. CBC is pretty much just unavailable in the south. We get Lost Girl as part of BBC America and the occasional show on PBS, but the last CBC show I was really tuned into was Red Green.

Kat9

« Reply #28 on: <11-14-12/1013:43> »
My this got nationalist and political quick.

DWC

• Omae
« Reply #29 on: <11-14-12/1038:02> »
I think the BBC gets held up as unbiased because every news outlet native to the US has its political slant, while the BBC doesn't take sides.  Oh, and there have been a few CBC shows that made their way here.  I know Flashpoint wasn't exactly a blockbuster, but it's on.