NEWS

Suppressive Fire Refresh?

• 12 Replies

Zilfer

• Ace Runner
« on: <10-25-12/1933:38> »
I wanted a quick discussion on the usefulness of it? I know it's 'supposed' to pin down the opposition but you only take the 'base' damage right? There's no added hits to the gun, so getting hit by that is less worrysome than someone actually shooting at you in the open right? I also know it eats through ammo like mad. :D Someone want to bring me on a refresher course.
Having access to Ares Technology isn't so bad, being in a room that's connected to the 'trix with holographic display throughout the whole room isn't bad either. Food, drinks whenever you want it. Over all not bad, but being unable to leave and with a Female Dragon? No Thanks! ~The Captive Man

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #1 on: <10-25-12/1939:53> »
Suppressing fire is great for times when you have an open field of fire (such as a hallway) and you want to keep an enemy (such as corpsec) pinned down while a buddy tosses a grenade/spell in their midst. It is less dangerous than focusing on a single target, but the benefit is that you can attack multiple targets in this manner. Also, it is best used by low IP characters, since it lasts until your next action.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #2 on: <10-25-12/1956:46> »
Suppressing fire is great for times when you have an open field of fire (such as a hallway) and you want to keep an enemy (such as corpsec) pinned down while a buddy tosses a grenade/spell in their midst. It is less dangerous than focusing on a single target, but the benefit is that you can attack multiple targets in this manner. Also, it is best used by low IP characters, since it lasts until your next action.

Also, IIRC, they have to check for damage when entering the zone, and on every one of their Action Phases while they remain in the zone if they're not 1) dropping/laying prone, 2) getting behind Full Cover, or (and this is rather stupid IMO) 3) standing perfectly still, even if they're fully in the open.

I heavily advise house-ruling that (3) results in automatically being chewed to hamburger by a hail of lead, since suicide is generally auto-death, and standing around out in the open in front of a MG dumping ammo at you is most definitely suicidal.
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

Zilfer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <10-25-12/2003:07> »
So maybe i just realized, is it every action? Meaning if I shoot, i have to check if i get hit, then I either shoot or move or drop down.  I get another check in the same IP? If so I can see it being a bit more effective than I thought.
Having access to Ares Technology isn't so bad, being in a room that's connected to the 'trix with holographic display throughout the whole room isn't bad either. Food, drinks whenever you want it. Over all not bad, but being unable to leave and with a Female Dragon? No Thanks! ~The Captive Man

JustADude

• Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <10-25-12/2006:58> »
So maybe i just realized, is it every action? Meaning if I shoot, i have to check if i get hit, then I either shoot or move or drop down.  I get another check in the same IP? If so I can see it being a bit more effective than I thought.

I think it's once per IP where you are either start in or enter the Suppression Zone, but I've reworked Suppressive Fire a bit for my table, so I may be thinking of my own rules.
― Albert Einstein

― Me

Falconer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #5 on: <10-25-12/2313:26> »
They updated the rules for it a bit in War...

Some things like going prone won't help you against airborne suppressive fire.   Or the spell version of suppressive fire.

Also put in more as regards, multiple overlapping fields of suppressing fire.  Make one check... and it counts against first burst... same check result at -1 against second... and so on.

Most of it was pretty sensical unlike a lot of the stuff in war..  dropping prone against a guy spraying the ground from a rooftop or elevated window isn't going to help you much.

Zilfer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #6 on: <10-26-12/1224:29> »
Indeed, I think it would make you more of a target no? xD

WellsIDidIt

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <10-26-12/1232:22> »
Yep, but by the same token, standing/kneeling near a wall/under overhangs could be the equivalent of what going prone would be. War!'s rule is basically just a notice that the suppressive fire rules are situational as the GM sees fit. It's also nice that it lets SA and BF weapons be used for Suppressive fire though.

JustADude

• Prime Runner
« Reply #8 on: <10-26-12/1934:51> »
Yep, but by the same token, standing/kneeling near a wall/under overhangs could be the equivalent of what going prone would be. War!'s rule is basically just a notice that the suppressive fire rules are situational as the GM sees fit. It's also nice that it lets SA and BF weapons be used for Suppressive fire though.

Actually, I'd say that would qualify as being behind Full Cover, since the shooter can't see you.

The way I read it, it strongly implied "laying prone out in the open"... which does, indeed, make you a much smaller target if you're being shot at.
― Albert Einstein

― Me

Unahim

• Omae
« Reply #9 on: <10-26-12/2010:55> »
Yup, and the shooter is just shooting a hail of bullets, not aiming at anyone in particular, so it makes sense that the bullets would go over a prone target.

UmaroVI

• Prime Runner
« Reply #10 on: <10-26-12/2225:14> »
Suppressive fire is mostly a niche action. There's a few reasons to use it.

1) Miniguns get x1.5 DV on Suppressive Fire. You can get some serious mileage out of the Vindicator LMG with SnS or APF ammo. The vehicle mounted miniguns can annihilate people.

2) If you only have 1 IP and little or no RC because you are a mook, Suppressive Fire is way, way better - it "lasts" a full combat turn, but your enemies can trigger it on each action, and you don't take recoil for using it.

3) Capsule rounds are very effective with Suppressive Fire, because they don't get DV from net hits anyways.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #11 on: <10-27-12/0804:03> »
SnS is also very nice in suppressive fire.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

WellsIDidIt

• Omae
« Reply #12 on: <10-27-12/0922:49> »
Actually, I'd say that would qualify as being behind Full Cover, since the shooter can't see you.

The way I read it, it strongly implied "laying prone out in the open"... which does, indeed, make you a much smaller target if you're being shot at.
That was in reference to defense against attacks from elevated positions. Dropping prone puts you below the normal firing arc, and minimizes the target area of your body on the same plane, so you're not at risk of being hit.  Against attacks from an elevated position you want to find a place where you can effectively hug the plane you're being attacked from and minimized body area. Hence leaning against objects allowing you to take on the correct plane.

Obviously getting full cover is the best route to go, but if it isn't available, minimizing target area is the equivalent of "going prone". It's hard to stand at a proper angle in a firefight without a support though.