NEWS

Is there a Fake/Legal License list?

• 6 Replies

zombietots

• Newb
« on: <05-04-12/1946:59> »
The debate at my table right now is this:
Are licenses used for each individual piece of equipment, or are you supposed to clump equipment together for specific licenses.

Example:
Ares Predator IV license
Ingram Smartgun X license

OR

Pistols license

It's a simple problem, and we just don't quite understand, so a bit of help would be appreciated.
Thanks

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <05-04-12/1955:25> »
This is pretty much up to the GM. Personally, I do the more generic licenses rather than every item.
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

Blue_Lion

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <05-04-12/1958:14> »
Rather than per item I usaly base it off modern ones.
Driving licence
pilots
concealed weapon
restriced
perfetional(bounty huning investigator.)

and add in maybe a regstered mage licence.

zombietots

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <05-04-12/2009:40> »
What about cyberware? I've always been a bit hazy about what cyberware is supposed to be licensed.

Blue_Lion

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <05-04-12/2017:48> »
Cyber weapons whould require a concealed weapons permet.
Some restricted whould require permet for controlled items those rated legaly R and not weapons.
Some like eyes whould not.

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #5 on: <05-05-12/0102:13> »
My latest character has a "Cybernetic Combat Enhancement" license to cover his Restricted cyberware, and a "Fugitive Retrieval Agent" license to justify the CCE license. ;)
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

CitizenJoe

• Ace Runner
« Reply #6 on: <05-05-12/0643:36> »
There are licenses, permits and registrations.  There are also taxes, fees, certifications and insurance associated with most of those as well.

Take a car for example:
The car needs to be registered to the owner (not necessarily the driver).
Annually, this needs to be renewed (tags).
As part of that renewal process, the vehicle gets inspected (note that some states are very lax in that).
Each registered vehicle needs to have a minimum amount of insurance.
The driver needs a state issued license (most states will honor another state's license).
If a state doesn't honor your license, you can usually use your license to get permits for that location for a nominal fee.
Commercial licenses are more expensive across the board.
You may also need parking permits and other associated stuff.
You can however, get a drivers license without a vehicle.  This is suitable for ID but also for renting vehicles.  Typically the rental car place handles all of the paperwork for its own fee.

Now for a gun:
Owning a gun just requires registration of the weapon.
Carrying a gun requires a permit.
Concealing a gun requires an additional permit and usually a license to justify it.
Use of a gun requires permits and licenses.  For example: a hunting license (which certifies that you've gone through the proper safety training) and a permit for the specific game and hunting season.  A bounty hunting license would be issued by the paying authority (Quebec for example) but local permits would be needed as well as warrants for arrest.  You could use your BH license to get gun carry permits locally but all of that hinges on whether the local government (or corp) chooses to honor that license.