NEWS

[SR6] Knockdown vs Tumble

• 3 Replies

ZeroSum

• Omae
« on: <10-10-19/2006:50> »
Am I missing something, or is the Edge action "Tumble" somewhat redundant when compared to the "Knockdown" combat option?
Your advantages combine to give you the chance to not just hurt your opponent but bring them to the ground. If the damage being inflicted on a target is greater than the target’s Body, they are brought down, giving them the Prone status.

Quote from: SR6 p.110
Sometimes you want to knock an opponent on their hoop—and sometimes you do that without meaning to. Whenever a character is damaged, if the amount of damage left after their Damage Resistance test is greater than their Body rank, then they are knocked down and gain the Prone status. They’ll have to use a Stand Up action if they want to remove the effects of the Prone status.

The former doesn't specify if "damage inflicted" means before or after damage resistance test, so it is possible that there is a difference in when the effect is applied. Of course, it is equally likely that "damage inflicted" is in fact unresisted damage, just like Knockdown, in which case the latter is a superiour option in that it is not restricted to melee attacks nor does it require Edge expenditure.

I don't see this one mentioned in the Errata or the errata thread, and it might be more of an FAQ anyway if the intent of Tumble is that the DV to Body comparison should happen prior to the damage resistance test.

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <10-10-19/2031:58> »
Yes, the way it reads to me is the edge action is DV>BOD before the soak whereas the regular action is DV>BOD after the soak.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

ZeroSum

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <10-10-19/2035:18> »
Yes, the way it reads to me is the edge action is DV>BOD before the soak whereas the regular action is DV>BOD after the soak.
I agree, that's how it read to me on the first pass. But would you agree that "damage inflicted" is ambiguous and could be read either way?

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <10-11-19/1440:58> »
This is how I read it as well.