NEWS

[sr5] SS Weapons?

• 49 Replies

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #45 on: <04-06-14/1553:38> »
If the GM ignores the recoil errata, SS is quite nice in lengthy gunfights. If not, then you're basically costing yourself the Semi-Automatic burst advantage, but likely you're getting compensation for that.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

JimmyCrisis

• Omae
« Reply #46 on: <04-06-14/2043:39> »

All weapons can just make ONE attack in any given combat phase.

This depends on the GM'S interpretation of the 'multiple attacks action' and how it relates to semiautomatic and fully auto weapons.  While you can only make one attack action, your GM might allow you to split you dice pool to attack several targets or one target multiple times with one of these guns.  Note that this is a matter of GM interpretation of a poorly worded set of rules - YMMV.

Also, shotguns and suppression fire can be used to attack multiple targets way more efficiently, but typically for less individual damage overall.  I really enjoy the AS-7 in wide spread with a 6 round burst.  Defense tests need not apply.

That being said, you really aren't losing out on the damage output when your gun does assault rifle damage out of the box.  Funny enough,  the 7.62 Soviet and the .44 magnum are in the same ballpark kinetic-energy-wise.  Shadowrun is still very deadly.

I haven't seen a lot of dice pool splitting, except to dispatch random grunts.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #47 on: <04-07-14/0507:59> »
The rules seem to support burst-splitting, with the downside of nobody knowing whether the bullets are split and what the range limit is (in SR4, they had to be near each other as well), and the vague language somewhat seems to support attacking the same person with dual-firing. Really wish they'd tell us how that is supposed to work.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

JD

• Newb
« Reply #48 on: <04-08-14/1814:10> »
Thanks... I think. /em wanders off to re-read for the umpteenth time...
""Just ignore the rules" seems to be the consistent take I get on this forum" 
-Typhus

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #49 on: <04-08-14/2101:12> »
The rules seem to support burst-splitting, with the downside of nobody knowing whether the bullets are split and what the range limit is (in SR4, they had to be near each other as well), and the vague language somewhat seems to support attacking the same person with dual-firing. Really wish they'd tell us how that is supposed to work.

After some thought, and a little trial and error I allow burst splitting and spraying at my table...

you divide your dice pool between the total number of targets. Then pick the order of the targets.

For each meter between a target consumes 1 bullet....

The shooter can decide how many "extra" bullets in a burst go to which target.

So for example we have Jose, Brother of Hose B. with an Ares alpha in a complex action (10 rounds) with a skill of 12 (after all modifiers) and 4 targets.

Jose, splits his dice pool between the four attackers....
Next, he declares the order for his attackers: (see chart below)
he determines the distance between the targets (done on the chart)
he gets rid of his "lost" rounds due distance between targets (in this case -7)

Uh-oh! Jose has a problem! due to the distance between his targets, he is out of bullets before he can hit the fourth target!, so he decides to just attack the first 3. (thus giving him a dice pool of 4 per target)

Numbers:           (Target 1 here)                 3 meters        (Target 2 here)       1 meter       (Target 3 here)            3 meters                (target 4)     Total:
Skill pool:                          3  (4)                                                        3 (4)                                         3 (4)                                                      3 (0)        12
Lost bullets:                                                          -3                                              -1                                                    -3                                               -7
Rounds on target:             1                                                          1                                                  1                                                            0!              3

This is essentially the way it was in 4e, and I just transferred it over. It gives FA weapons a little more flexibility and LMGs a large boost (due mostly to ammo, recoil reduction if on a mount) While also limiting the attackers options. (fee action: multi attack, Complex action: the FA burst)

It works fairly well at my table. But of course, is not missions allowed.
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.