NEWS

State of 6e today

• 411 Replies

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #75 on: <06-13-20/0554:26> »
There is one legitimate criticism I've seen made of the 6e Matrix that I don't have a complete answer for: now that you can only hack PANs/Hosts and not devices, I think most people's reading of RAW means every minor hack of an exterior camera is now a full-on host dive unless the GM invents some handwaving reasons why this particularly security decker was a total incompetent who didn't want to make their network hacker proof.
Connect to the camera with a direct connection.

From there either spoof a command to the camera (turn 13 degrees to create a blind spot we so we can sneak pass it without passing its line of sight) without any access what so ever

...or hack the camera (which give you access on the host network, similar to how it did in previous edition).

Now that you have access on the camera and the host network (and, new in this edition, on all other cameras and maglocks and drones and elevators etc being part of the same network) you no longer need the direct connection. Use the access you already have and edit out your team and yourself from the live feed as you walk pass the camera.

...and since you now already have access on the whole network you just edit out you and your team as you walk pass the camera in the next corridor, without first spending time gaining access on it.

...same with the maglock at the end of the corridor that is also part of the same network. Just control the maglock to open, without spending time to first gain access on it.

Annoch

• Newb
« Reply #76 on: <06-13-20/2322:44> »

From there either spoof a command to the camera (turn 13 degrees to create a blind spot we so we can sneak pass it without passing its line of sight) without any access what so ever

...or hack the camera (which give you access on the host network, similar to how it did in previous edition).

Now that you have access on the camera and the host network (and, new in this edition, on all other cameras and maglocks and drones and elevators etc being part of the same network) you no longer need the direct connection. Use the access you already have and edit out your team and yourself from the live feed as you walk pass the camera.

...and since you now already have access on the whole network you just edit out you and your team as you walk pass the camera in the next corridor, without first spending time gaining access on it.

...same with the maglock at the end of the corridor that is also part of the same network. Just control the maglock to open, without spending time to first gain access on it.

This is good stuff, but it should be in the CRB.  Imagine being completely new to SR or returning after a long lapse.  The combat and magic portions should be pretty easy to understand generally; shooting guns and hitting people is pretty common and most people who would want to play an RPG have exposure to magic and summoning.  You don't need to explain how these work in the world the way you do with Matrix stuff.  The matrix is completely different from what people do in their lives, from media depictions (my apologies to the Lawnmower Man, Hackers, and Johnny Mnemonic), and other role playing systems. 

The book NEEDED comprehensive examples to show people how the Matrix interacts with the physical world and vice versa.  Can you even imagine being a new player and reading the Matrix section for the first time in 6E?  Anyone in that position who wasn't willing to just make most of the missing pieces up through house rules or go searching for some info on forums and other third parties would just put that book back on the shelf and play something else.

To make things worse, I have noted veterans bringing forward things from the 5E rules which don't seem to have made it into the 6E rulebook.

For example you say to connect to the camera with a direct connection....is that a rule in 6E?  If it is it is such a minute mention that I have never really noticed it.  And there are so many other things that are just left so unclear because the authors refuse to add anything but the bare minimum to the section of the book that is, by far and away, most likely to be confusing and be misunderstood.

As I have said many times before, I am super happy for those people who 'get it' either because you are a long time veteran or have a galaxy mind.  I am jealous.  For me, and a lot of others (see rest of the internet) the rules just aren't there and what is there is just not clear.  As I have said in prior posts, if this edition was meant for only the most hardcore and long term fans to enjoy then I can show myself out.  If it was meant to bring in new and lapsed people it is a failure.  What I wouldn't give for 10-20 extra pages in the book of examples which illustrate new and novel rules...but they just aren't there.

What we really need is either an official FAQ which answers a lot of these issues and provides some developer intention or maybe a matrix source book which provides this info (not a great option, but I would still probably buy it).

Not angry, just frustrated.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #77 on: <06-14-20/0349:40> »
For example you say to connect to the camera with a direct connection....is that a rule in 6E?
There seem to be two benefits of using a direct connection in this edition:

1. It let you gain access (Brute Force or Probe + Backdoor Entry) to a 'nested host' without first hacking the 'outer onion layers' of the host network

2. It let you take actions that are allowed to be used with just Outsider access (such as Spoof Command) against devices that are 'inside' a host (or a 'nested host') without first gaining User or Admin access on the host.

As for the rule in SR6;

Quote from: SR6 p.185 Host Security and Architecture
Because you must hack each host in succession from the outside, having inside access to a site with a direct connection to the deepest host (if one exists) is valuable—especially when your Overwatch Score increases are based on all the hosts in which you maintain access at any given time, not just the one you’re currently using.

What we really need is either an official FAQ which answers a lot of these issues and provides some developer intention or maybe a matrix source book which provides this info (not a great option, but I would still probably buy it).
I think we are about to get both.

Meanwhile if you have any matrix related questions, don't hesitate to ask. 
« Last Edit: <06-14-20/0410:33> by Xenon »

penllawen

• Omae
  • Let's go. In and out. Twenty minute milk run.
« Reply #78 on: <06-14-20/0658:16> »
There is one legitimate criticism I've seen made of the 6e Matrix that I don't have a complete answer for: now that you can only hack PANs/Hosts and not devices, I think most people's reading of RAW means every minor hack of an exterior camera is now a full-on host dive unless the GM invents some handwaving reasons why this particularly security decker was a total incompetent who didn't want to make their network hacker proof.
If you can get physically close enough to the camera to plug something into it, and the camera can’t see you doing that, then it’s not a very well set up camera. Imagine a typical security camera today: a wide-angle lens mounted 12-15 feet up a wall. How do you get up within arm’s reach of that without first being seen?

Also: you don’t have one camera; you have multiple cameras with overlapping fields of view. So camera 2 is recording you as you climb a ladder to hack camera 1.

Also: why would an externally mounted camera have an accessible port anyway? Why wouldn’t the corp have gunked it up with glue or just never fitted it in the first place? I prefer game mechanics that don’t rely on NPCs being weird idiots.

Same thing with putting externally mounted cameras inside hosts. If the building has a security host - and most interesting buildings will - why wouldn’t the outside cameras be inside the host? Thus meaning they become immune to all Matrix attacks unless the decker hacks the whole Host first. I haven’t seen any explanation for this, other than GM handwavium.

Where are the rules that say that hacking a device that is inside a PAN/WAN that you have direct connection to is easier than hacking the device without the direction connection? I can’t see anything in the 6e CRB.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #79 on: <06-14-20/1040:48> »
Rules are more similar to 5th edition than you seem to realize...

In 5th edition you needed 1, 2 or 3 marks to edit out your crew in real time as they move pass the camera. To gain access you hack the camera (by using Brute Force or Hack on the Fly). Since the camera is slaved to the host it will oppose the test using host firewall. Once you placed your mark on the camera you also gain a mark on the Host. Now you use the Edit File action to edit out your crew.

When you came to the next camera you had to mark that camera as well. Once done you used the Edit file action to edit out your crew.

And when you reached the maglock at the end of the corridor you had to mark the maglock and then used the Control Device action to open it.

In 6th edition you need User or Admin access to edit out your crew in real time as they move pass the camera. To gain access you hack the camera (Brute Force or Probe+Backdoor Entry). Since the camera is part of a network it will oppose the test using firewall of the network. Once you gained User or Admin access you also gain User or Admin access on the network and and all other devices and files that are also part of the same network. Now you use the Edit File action to edit out your crew.

When you come to the next camera you already have access on the network it is connected to so you just edit out your crew directly without first hacking it.

And when you reach the maglock at the end of the corridor you still already have access so you just take the Control Device action to open it.

So... similar mechanics, just that access now go both upstream and downstream which make access network based (while marks in 5th edition only went upstream which made marks icon based).

Direct connections work a bit different though.

In previous edition direct connection let you ignore firewall. And you were also considered directly connected if you were inside the host a device was slaved to. This meant you could for example establish a direct connection to an exposed device, such as a maglock. Hack that to gain access on both the maglock and the host, but without fighting host ratings. Then enter the host to gain a direct connection to the camera. Then you hacked the camera from within the host. Then you take the edit file action

In this edition direct connection let you ignore nestled hosts. This meant you could for example establish a direct connection to an exposed device, such as a maglock. Hack that to gain access on both the maglock and the host (but in this edition you also gain access on all other devices that are also part of the host). Then enter the nestled host (without doing a deep dive through all the outer layers of the onion) to gain a direct connection to the camera. Since you already have access there is no need to hack the camera so you just take the Edit File action directly.
« Last Edit: <06-14-20/1046:44> by Xenon »

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #80 on: <06-14-20/1046:36> »

If you can get physically close enough to the camera to plug something into it, and the camera can’t see you doing that, then it’s not a very well set up camera. Imagine a typical security camera today: a wide-angle lens mounted 12-15 feet up a wall. How do you get up within arm’s reach of that without first being seen?

Also: you don’t have one camera; you have multiple cameras with overlapping fields of view. So camera 2 is recording you as you climb a ladder to hack camera 1.

Also: why would an externally mounted camera have an accessible port anyway? Why wouldn’t the corp have gunked it up with glue or just never fitted it in the first place? I prefer game mechanics that don’t rely on NPCs being weird idiots.

Same thing with putting externally mounted cameras inside hosts. If the building has a security host - and most interesting buildings will - why wouldn’t the outside cameras be inside the host? Thus meaning they become immune to all Matrix attacks unless the decker hacks the whole Host first. I haven’t seen any explanation for this, other than GM handwavium.

This is a case where game design breaks common sense. And its been this way since 4e.

To give the Deckers and Technos something to do in combat, they went with a "wireless" matrix idea... even though everyone and their dead dog can see this leads to massive security holes and ZERO common sense.

Hell, 90% of ALL decking posts are "how do I make my character unhackable?".... which shows you everyone realizes this is a major flaw.

And speaking as somone who installs security equipment...

Yea... apparently security experts in SR are Meth soaked circus monkeys...
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #81 on: <06-14-20/1107:35> »

Either you find a device that is easier to physically access
- Which let you ignore firewall (5e)
- Which let you ignore nestled hosts (6e)

Or you hack them from a distance
- Not ignoring firewall (5e)
- Not ignoring outer layered hosts (6e)

why would an externally mounted camera have an accessible port anyway?
To configure the device / turn on wireless if wireless was disabled...?
This was not changed in 6th edition.

...Thus meaning they become immune to all Matrix attacks unless the decker hacks the whole Host first.
you make it sound as if hacking the 'whole host' is this big thing.... Take the brute force action (once) and you will have User access on the host, the camera and all other devices that are also part of the host.

This is resolved as one single test.

Where are the rules that say that hacking a device that is inside a PAN/WAN that you have direct connection to is easier than hacking the device without the direction connection? I can’t see anything in the 6e CRB.
There seem to be two benefits of using a direct connection in this edition:

1. It let you gain access (Brute Force or Probe + Backdoor Entry) to a 'nested host' without first hacking the 'outer onion layers' of the host network

2. It let you take actions that are allowed to be used with just Outsider access (such as Spoof Command) against devices that are 'inside' a host (or a 'nested host') without first gaining User or Admin access on the host.

This is a case where game design breaks common sense.
How so?
« Last Edit: <06-14-20/1110:15> by Xenon »

Reaver

• Prime Runner
« Reply #82 on: <06-14-20/1248:39> »

This is a case where game design breaks common sense.
How so?

Do you want the long answer or the short answer?

Lets ignore all the SR stuff, and just talk real security systems.

You can buy a cheap home system for anywhere from $75 to $1500... On the cheap end, you have wireless cameras* with motion sensors.
On the top end, you have barometric sensors, window alarms, door bars, and sirens. (NONE of it wifi)

When you get into actual security systems that you would install to protect a corporate commercial facility, you are talking $100,000 to $1,000,000.

The difference comes in, in how it is all installed and ran.

A security of this type is powered by a separate feeder circuit from the main power system, and comes equipped with a measured battery backup system (usually 72 hours), meaning even if the entire town went dark, the system still runs.

All devices are installed and wired in EMT, and mounted in a 6 mils (2mm) security box (stainless steel). fasteners used are Torix Security fasteners... which is not a tool you can pick up at a hardware store. 

All the devices are direct wired back to a separate node based on device, location, and function. (this allows the parts of the system to be disabled while leaving the other systems online. You don't need motion sensors active during the workday when hundreds of people are going to be tripping them.) From there, the signal is then outputted to various in house devices (monitoring stations.) IF an outside feed is needed (remote observation), a separate out feed station will be installed. This Outfeed station will not have direct access back to node control (output only).

And this assumes you just want to keep the lookie-loos out. If you want to keep something in... Well, that's a step up.

Now everything goes into Rigid conduit, your device boxes are 16mills (6mm) of stainless steel, and you move to welded fasteners and/or individualized fasteners (so.. if you have 4 fastener ports, you'd use a Torix in 1, Robinson in 2, a Philliips in 3, and Hex in 4) requiring a separate tool for each fastener.

Electronically, the systems are same in node wiring, but you triple up on back-up systems and independent supplies (so instead of 72 hours battery supply, you size for 11 days).

That's the basics I can get away with telling without breaking an NDAs with the equipment providers...

The BIGGEST mistake Shadowrun makes with all its devices is that it forgets those devices need power, and since they need power, you might as well run the signal cable as well, as they both go to the same spot (remember, the security system worth its salt has an independent power supply)

But in Shadowrun... all devices.. be that a Maglock, a camera, or even a drone! Doesn't need power. its just assumed they run on... I guess on cupcakes and fee-fees? 

What's the Difference in the structures of these 2 systems.. Well the first one, if I need/want to, I can use a bi-metal blade in a circular saw and be through the EMT in about 3 seconds. (its what I use to cut the EMT in the first place.) and the boxes will come apart with a hammer and some time...

the Rigid conduit takes about 1 minute to cut through using a metal band saw (a circular saw will just bind and shatter!), and the boxes will withstand  up to a .357 magnum.  Pound on it all day with a hammer, you'll bent them up good, but not break inside.)     
« Last Edit: <06-14-20/1255:56> by Reaver »

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #83 on: <06-14-20/1308:54> »
But in Shadowrun... all devices.. be that a Maglock, a camera, or even a drone! Doesn't need power. its just assumed they run on... I guess on cupcakes and fee-fees?   

Previous editions had said that certain devices (like some kind of cyberware) are continuously re-charged by changes in ambient temperature/air pressures.  And wirelessly recharging batteries is already a thing in RL... it's within my bounds for suspension of disbelief that devices can be powered 24/7 by wireless energy.
« Last Edit: <06-14-20/1310:41> by Stainless Steel Devil Rat »
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
« Reply #84 on: <06-14-20/1402:51> »

Previous editions had said that certain devices (like some kind of cyberware) are continuously re-charged by changes in ambient temperature/air pressures.  And wirelessly recharging batteries is already a thing in RL... it's within my bounds for suspension of disbelief that devices can be powered 24/7 by wireless energy.

You're not involved in Energy, or Energy production in any way are you?

Yes, we have wireless charging of batteries now. Its called Induction charging...

By presenting a coil of copper/ copper nitrite/ Ion bank to an expanding and contracting field of Flux, you induce a current.

This electricity 101... It is the BASIS of every form of electrical generation used in the world.

All a induction charger does is run electricity through a coil a wire, and allows the linear power generation to create the expanding and contracting Flux field.

However, there is are some limitations to induction charging. These limitations are hard wired LAWS of Physics. And no, they can't be ignored.

The first is efficiency. Induction charging loses efficiency the further apart the two devices are. This is why even with a top of the line phone induction charger, it may take several attempts of placing your phone before it actually charges.... you have to intercept the flux field which is a product of the power used. Current induction charges are limited by the CSA/USBA/EUECA laws, and by the building code authority and just general construction. (that little wire that pugs into the induction charger to provide it with energy!)

Currently they run (N.A) 120volts at 3 amps. OR 360watts... and induce a charge of 18 to 75 watts. That's a lot of power loss that has to be paid for. (and you are! You just don't notice it on your power bill because it works out to be pennies). Range is somewhere between .3 to 2.1 Millimeters!

To extend those lines of flux to say... 5 feet.. well, that is power generation in the millions of times higher...

AND, we are not even into the hazzards of flux fields that powerful (as again the range of the Flux field is a measure of the energy that created it). High intensity Flux fields are linked to cancers, bone density loss, chromosome damage (Specifically MALE Chromosomes), and Sperm loss. 
This is something my industry has been tracking for decades, as a subset of us are constantly exposed to high flux fields...

And their health conditions are widely monitored. Lets look at High Energy Splicers...
80% develop Liver/prostate/testicular cancer after 20 years.
60% develop Liver/prostate/testicular cancer after 8 years.
95% of children born to HES workers are female.
85% of HES (male) and 60% of HEC (female) experience premature hair loss with 8 years. 
10% of HES (both sexes) develop heart arrhythmia within 5 years and have to leave the trade. 30% of those cases have proven on site fatal. (basically heart attack induced by arrhythmia)

And that's on top of the dangers and hazzards they face just doing the job. And While I do HES work, I don't do it often, for good reason. Even at my payrate, I am underpaid for that work!

Then there is the next problem. With fields of Flux that extend out far enough to say... cover a city like Shadowrun supposedly has... Would kill you. The amount of energy in the flux fields would energize the trace copper in your blood stream and slowly cook you inside out.. just like a Microwave oven does...

In fact, a Microwave oven and a Flux field share a lot in common.. Both are high energy radiation, both conduct energy, both excite molecules... The only difference is the frequency and component interactment  (one likse water, one likes electrons in Valiance orbits...).

Just cause something "Sounds cool" doesn't mean its actually possible. But Fools and their money are easily parted.... Even today. (The number of shit shows on Kickstarter that have gotten MILLIONS, and never produced, because it was actually impossible is long indeed...)

This is one of those times that realism plays second fiddle to "Fun" (or supposed fun) even though it breaks all common sense or laws of physics.   

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #85 on: <06-14-20/1406:05> »
Look, if the game has to conform to physics, dragons and fireballs are out the window.

Chalk it up to "post Awakening, yes even the physics have changed due to mana" if you have to.  You'll have more fun.

My background is in IT... the matrix rules are much more fun for me when I remember to willfully ignore reality and go with movie logic and what's "fun" and what's feasibly playable.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
« Reply #86 on: <06-14-20/1414:35> »
Look, if the game has to conform to physics, dragons and fireballs are out the window.

Chalk it up to "post Awakening, yes even the physics have changed due to mana" if you have to.  You'll have more fun.

My background is in IT... the matrix rules are much more fun for me when I remember to willfully ignore reality and go with movie logic and what's "fun" and what's feasibly playable.

My point exactly.

You know what I am talking about when it comes to the matrix rules.. and how things interact...
The way the rules present thigns is just not possible.. And not only is it not possible - only a moron would configure their system that way!

YOU know it, I know it. Heck, even Banshee (who wrote the matrix rules) KNOWS it...

But that has to take a back seat because, the "mechanics" and "fun" say so... Even though the "mechanics" and "fun" have created a headache for almost all involved as they try to wrap their heads around the level of "Stoopid!" in the system.

Don't get me wrong. This is not a dig at Banshee. He(she) Did the best they could given what they had to work with. No fault of foul there.

I am saying the "mechanics" themselves need to really be addressed... And that includes this whole "Hack anything wirelessly" bullshit that has generated 95% of the problems for matrix actions, and that includes the #1 topic on these forums - "How do I stop 'X' gear from being hacked"....

Clearly.. they are not "Fun" for a large percent of the community..
« Last Edit: <06-14-20/1417:45> by Reaver »

Banshee

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #87 on: <06-14-20/1439:57> »

My point exactly.

You know what I am talking about when it comes to the matrix rules.. and how things interact...
The way the rules present thigns is just not possible.. And not only is it not possible - only a moron would configure their system that way!

YOU know it, I know it. Heck, even Banshee (who wrote the matrix rules) KNOWS it...

But that has to take a back seat because, the "mechanics" and "fun" say so... Even though the "mechanics" and "fun" have created a headache for almost all involved as they try to wrap their heads around the level of "Stoopid!" in the system.

Don't get me wrong. This is not a dig at Banshee. He(she) Did the best they could given what they had to work with. No fault of foul there.

I am saying the "mechanics" themselves need to really be addressed... And that includes this whole "Hack anything wirelessly" bullshit that has generated 95% of the problems for matrix actions, and that includes the #1 topic on these forums - "How do I stop 'X' gear from being hacked"....

First considering the current events thank you for not gender assuming ..  I identify as he for all common purposes.

Yeah .. i know using real world current technology and practices the game doesn't make sense.
That concept though extends to all aspects however, not just the matrix. It doesn't matter what you look at if you find an expert on that particular topic and will always get the "but it doesn't work that way in real life" argument. Construction, mechanics, weaponry, communications, law enforcement,  security,  politics, biology,  etc ...

So for me in my head I just accept the fact that the world works differently either because of altered metaphysics or unknown twists in advancment and don't over think it.

As for the question of "how do I make a thing unhackable?" Answer is you don't, hacking is one of the foundations that cyberpunk fantasy is built on if it was "easy" to make things unhackable then you would be removed an important aspect at its core. You would be just as well off to ignore the matrix as anything more than an information source.
Robert "Banshee" Volbrecht
Freelancer & FAQ Committee member
Former RPG Lead Agent
Catalyst Demo Team

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #88 on: <06-14-20/1505:37> »
Indeed.  I like to answer the question of "how do I become unhackable" as being "the same way you become un-magicable: You don't.  You ensure your team has a specialist in that realm to protect you from its threats."

Yes, I'd say it's wrongbadfun to try to go immune to any one of the three of Shadowrun's Worlds.  But of course: YMMV.
« Last Edit: <06-14-20/1508:13> by Stainless Steel Devil Rat »

Reaver

• Prime Runner
« Reply #89 on: <06-14-20/1517:40> »

My point exactly.

First considering the current events thank you for not gender assuming ..  I identify as he for all common purposes.

Yeah .. i know using real world current technology and practices the game doesn't make sense.
That concept though extends to all aspects however, not just the matrix. It doesn't matter what you look at if you find an expert on that particular topic and will always get the "but it doesn't work that way in real life" argument. Construction, mechanics, weaponry, communications, law enforcement,  security,  politics, biology,  etc ...

So for me in my head I just accept the fact that the world works differently either because of altered metaphysics or unknown twists in advancment and don't over think it.

As for the question of "how do I make a thing unhackable?" Answer is you don't, hacking is one of the foundations that cyberpunk fantasy is built on if it was "easy" to make things unhackable then you would be removed an important aspect at its core. You would be just as well off to ignore the matrix as anything more than an information source.

Yes, the "suspension of disbelief" paradox at the heart of all fantasy and Sci-fi games. I get that, I do.
Nor, Am I saying that you are not wrong that hacking of things is a part of the cyberpunk trope.

But, there is also the point of a Constant Narrative in these fantasy/sci-fi worlds that helps to maintain that suspension of disbelief... And that's gets broken by some aspects of SR for those of us with knowledge in areas of expertise.
The economic systems of SR are mess for those with an Economic background (Trust me, I hear it all the time from my Buddy).

For, me its the inconsistent nature they handle energy in shadowrun. Its an after thought of the setting based on what "they" (being in this case no one in particular) think works, mixed in with an expectation of world, and the mechanics they have laid out.

They go through great lengths to set up a world of have and have nots, all crammed in together. Where the Rich and Powerful enjoy all the luxury and avarice they can indulge in. Where the mindless PayDrones go to get up, go to work 70 hours a week, and live hand to mouth because that's "the system"... and they are happy with their 3 allotted flavors of Soypaste. Where the those that don't work for a Corp are even more hand to mouth, where basics like clean water and electricity are rationed...

Where the dregs of Society are not even considered people. Where even basic human rights can and ARE ignored, and people are denied access to city streetsbecause they can not afford the commlink to display their SIN...

BUT  every electronic device magically has power forever.... Even in the deepest, darkest parts of the Feral City where running water and power has been cut for years... Yep still clogging away cause of ... Hippy space wifi power...

Energy generation is one of the most expensive things society does. Its so expensive in fact, that the Quality of Life, is directly linked to a countries' ability to support their electrical grid.
Energy Generation is SO expensive, that even here in North America, The richest hemisphere of the planet, only 60% of the land mass has a stable grid.
Energy Maintenance is so expensive.. California's utility company is effectively bankrupt after years of missed maintenance lead to the wildfires that destroyed homes last year...

Its this disconnect between the Lore, the mechanics, and knowledge that leads to issues for those of us with said knowledge...

I have less problems with cyberware because, essentially the human body is just a chemical energy battery. I can totally understand how you can build an energy induction system to allow the human body to recharge and store energy required to run a large device like a cyberleg, even if said human induction technology doesn't exist today. I understand the basic principles, and what would be required, and can see a way past the 'hard limits' of reality... 
But that gets really hard when every thing you know screams "NO!!!" at you...

Put it another way....

IF SR suddenly came out with the "Healstick" A heavy Pistol, with SA/BF capabilities, 12 round (m) system.. and HEALED the target for 9p damage every time you shot them with Ex-Ex ammo... would you have a problem?     

Kind of breaks your Suspension of Disbelief doesn't it? Every single gun does damage when you shoot targets with Ex-Ex ammo.. except this ONE gun.. the "healstick"... Why? Hippy space bullets... that's why.

:P