NEWS

State of 6e today

• 411 Replies

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #60 on: <06-11-20/1630:23> »
Budget. Now that's funny. How much do you think they have to spend?
Catalyst is not poor: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/450703636/battletech-clan-invasion

Sure, that's for a different product line to Shadowrun. Now I'm not suggesting they take money from one pool and spend it on a different pool. Why, that'd be unethical, and anyone who did that would surely be fired immediately.

But nevertheless, Catalyst is not poor.

I will bet all my internet bucks that Topps considers Battletech and Shadowrun the exact same thing.  And at the end of the day the licencing fee that CGL pays to Topps comes from the same checking account.  Some months Battletech kicks in more, some months Shadowrun might.

Financially I'm betting the two systems are basically conjoined twins.

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #61 on: <06-11-20/1650:28> »
I remember a few years ago over on the BattleTech forums there was doom and gloom about how Shadowrun was CGL's only concern and BattleTech was the stepchild.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #62 on: <06-11-20/1723:06> »
I remember a few years ago over on the BattleTech forums there was doom and gloom about how Shadowrun was CGL's only concern and BattleTech was the stepchild.
This forum needs a rofl-emoji.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #63 on: <06-11-20/1748:57> »
Seriously I think Topps has Shadowrun/Battletech in a folder labeled "That other crap that wasn't Mage Knight that we bought from Whiz Kids". 

Fans, "Hey Topps, did you realize that Shadowrun and Battletech are 2 of the top 5 recognized names in the Table Top RPG world?  Right behind Dungeons and Dragon and Warhammer."

Topps Executive, "Warhammer?  What's that?  And Dungeons and Dragons, I totally saw that on Big Bang Theory, we own that?  Did we get paid for that spot?"

Fans *Double Facepalm*

Banshee

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #64 on: <06-11-20/1849:22> »
Seriously I think Topps has Shadowrun/Battletech in a folder labeled "That other crap that wasn't Mage Knight that we bought from Whiz Kids". 

Fans, "Hey Topps, did you realize that Shadowrun and Battletech are 2 of the top 5 recognized names in the Table Top RPG world?  Right behind Dungeons and Dragon and Warhammer."

Topps Executive, "Warhammer?  What's that?  And Dungeons and Dragons, I totally saw that on Big Bang Theory, we own that?  Did we get paid for that spot?"

Fans *Double Facepalm*

LOL ... so much this. I've been on those calls
Robert "Banshee" Volbrecht
Freelancer & FAQ Committee member
Former RPG Lead Agent
Catalyst Demo Team

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #65 on: <06-11-20/2224:28> »
FastJack, some of those replies were unnecessarily hostile, don't you think? Bishop has a massive eight posts, so it's not exactly like he has beaten this horse into the ground like the rest of us.
Maybe a little harsh, and I'm sorry about that. But the horse has been beaten and I'm not in the best place right now with all the crap in the wide world and my world.

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #66 on: <06-11-20/2228:41> »

Fans *Double Facepalm*

I have had exactly one meaningful string of interactions with the "Investment class".  My impression was that it was Failsons and their fratboy buddies and a bunch of overworked middle managers trying to keep them from killing the goose that lays the golden eggs while stroking their egos.

Could be that the folks I had to work with were not the typical example.  Could be that I got the wrong impression.  But that's pretty much what I figure Topps largely is at this point.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #67 on: <06-11-20/2300:46> »
Its not even Topps that pulls the strings....

"They" are the middle managers in this mess..
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #68 on: <06-11-20/2317:23> »

Fans *Double Facepalm*
I used to be in that department.

Call Centre Boss:  "And here is where we have our Wireless Internet Tech Support agents.  Combination Modem/Routers allow for a family to connect up to five computers at once, and these agents can troubleshoot all kinds of issues dealing with just such things."

Cable Company VP Of Everything Starting With "Q":  "...  ...  We have that service?"

Me:  *Headdesk*
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Lormyr

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #69 on: <06-12-20/0645:26> »
Maybe a little harsh, and I'm sorry about that. But the horse has been beaten and I'm not in the best place right now with all the crap in the wide world and my world.

I hear you dude. If you feel like venting feel free to fire a PM.
"TL:DR 6e's reduction of meaningful choices is akin to forcing everyone to wear training wheels. Now it's just becomes a bunch of toddlers riding around on tricycles they can't fall off of." - Adzling

Bishop75

• Newb
« Reply #70 on: <06-12-20/1730:19> »

I actually didn't find it too harsh.  My intent was not to trash the dev team and I thought I made that clear, although maybe it came out that way. Actually anybody that takes on the task of trying to work on this game has my greatest respect. SR must be the most complex RPG and to try to simplify it is a monumental task. I'm disappointed that default reaction on this board is to be totally defensive of anything that is negative, even if it's framed in a constructive way.

And again... just a thought on customer acquisition & retention... if somebody joins your board and attempts to bring constructive thoughts about how to move something forward, maybe try welcoming that person rather than trying to tear down their ideas.   

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #71 on: <06-12-20/1822:57> »
There's some unhealed wounds that have been opened since 6e's launch.

You're right in that new people shouldn't have to deal with the fallout of the forum Edition Wars.

Hope you have better experiences going forward!
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Bishop75

• Newb
« Reply #72 on: <06-12-20/2006:57> »
There's some unhealed wounds that have been opened since 6e's launch.

You're right in that new people shouldn't have to deal with the fallout of the forum Edition Wars.

Hope you have better experiences going forward!

Thanks.. I got that. I can imagine not really enjoying all your hard work getting shat on day after day. Maybe I should write a post of all the positive things I have to say, and only the positive. I'll start with one. SR6 is fun. By slimming the rules down, the game moves faster and it's fun to play. I think it's even workable with a large gaming group. 4thed, the last edition I played, was a bear, and if you had more than 4 or 5 people playing... very difficult to keep things moving.

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #73 on: <06-12-20/2032:58> »
Eh. I go away from  the thread for a couple days and you guys get all cranky. Goodness.

So there you have it. The state of 6e!

It's a mess.
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #74 on: <06-12-20/2211:42> »

I actually didn't find it too harsh.  My intent was not to trash the dev team and I thought I made that clear, although maybe it came out that way. Actually anybody that takes on the task of trying to work on this game has my greatest respect. SR must be the most complex RPG and to try to simplify it is a monumental task. I'm disappointed that default reaction on this board is to be totally defensive of anything that is negative, even if it's framed in a constructive way.

And again... just a thought on customer acquisition & retention... if somebody joins your board and attempts to bring constructive thoughts about how to move something forward, maybe try welcoming that person rather than trying to tear down their ideas.   
I do apologize for my behavior. I try to be welcoming, especially to new players. Having said that, "Welcome! Enjoy your stay, ask questions and try to avoid the drop-bears hiding over in the Secret History threads."