NEWS

A diamond in the rough....

• 37 Replies

Blue_Lion

• Omae
« Reply #30 on: <05-31-12/1232:19> »
You know how most chips are put onto a circuit board?

Baked.  In an oven.  (So that the sauter melts properly.)

:)
How about optic chips? the sauter melts around 350-400 degrees depenending on the type so the dycoting may melt the sodder causing the joints to become breaking depending on how long you bake it to set the dikoting. also whould the coating prevent proper electical exhanng and change the size of the fitting if done sepertaly?

_Pax_

« Reply #31 on: <05-31-12/1240:30> »

How about optic chips? the sauter melts around 350-400 degrees depenending on the type so the dycoting may melt the sodder causing the joints to become breaking depending on how long you bake it to set the dikoting. also whould the coating prevent proper electical exhanng and change the size of the fitting if done sepertaly?

That's why I suggested it's the CHIPS that are dikoted, not the entire circuit board.

As for electrical exchange - I rather presume that the chips would be held in place by the electrical connection points, which would in turn preclude the deposition of any diamond film on those surfaces.  :)

Lastly, keep in mind we're talking about a film only a dozen or so molecules thick.

Blue_Lion

• Omae
« Reply #32 on: <06-01-12/1207:04> »

That's why I suggested it's the CHIPS that are dikoted, not the entire circuit board.

As for electrical exchange - I rather presume that the chips would be held in place by the electrical connection points, which would in turn preclude the deposition of any diamond film on those surfaces.  :)

Lastly, keep in mind we're talking about a film only a dozen or so molecules thick.
Sorry its been a while since i looked up the stats on it, but did they say it was that thin?
I am slightly confused by what you mean are you saying the part of the chips that conect to the board don't have diykote on them? Or that the sodder is put on over the dikoted part to conect it the board?

_Pax_

« Reply #33 on: <06-01-12/1526:36> »
Yes, they said it was that thin.

And yes, I'm saying the parts that actually pass current would be free of dikote.

Blue_Lion

• Omae
« Reply #34 on: <06-01-12/1528:35> »

And yes, I'm saying the parts that actually pass current would be free of dikote.

Then what is the point as those are the points that whould be stresed in shock and impact? That is weak point that whould break when the chip is knocked loose.

Falconer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #35 on: <06-01-12/1825:11> »
Which is why it's so silly....  diamond is NOT a perfect conductor of heat...  So it's not some supercooling fantasy dream... you still need a cooling system to transport heat elsewhere to avoid damaging things.  (also get a real rise out of the solder temperatures... especially after RoHS).

A layer of diamond only a few atoms thick would do next to nothing... (mostly shatter on impact... it is a crystal and crystals don't flex or give typically).  Not render things indestructible.  (diamonds burn... many people don't realize that, where's my flamethrower?).

Trying to apply scientific rationale to techno-magic is an exercise in futility.   (yes it's magic because whoever wrote dikote obviously knew nothing about actual properties of diamonds).  Lets just all raise a fond glass to it's memory and thank god that it's gone!

_Pax_

« Reply #36 on: <06-01-12/2001:38> »

Then what is the point as those are the points that whould be stresed in shock and impact? That is weak point that whould break when the chip is knocked loose.
For electronics, you're not trying to armor the pieces against impact.  You're using Dikote as a heat-conductive medium, to cool the chips off.

If you tried to dikote the chips onto the circuit board, you'd end up with a dikoted lump of charred, carbonised EX-plastic; dikote is applied by a high-temperature plasma ... it's not a cool mist, it's not a dip or a spray.  It's BLAST FURNACE HOT.

@ Falconer: I'd treat it as basically a very good thermal grease.  Some brands of thermal compound use micrograins of silver, and the heat conductivity is very very slightly, but still measurably, higher (something like 0.3%).  So it's not going to be a SUPER-material ... but it's the kind of thing that a serious enthusiast might do, trying to eke out just that 1% more efficiency from the system overall.  It wouldn't have any in-game effect, but it's "good flavor".

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #37 on: <06-01-12/2018:46> »
Hey, if you can't stand the heat, get out of the 'runnin'!  ;D
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11