NEWS

a covert yet common clothing/armor in sr5

• 45 Replies

vallen

• Newb
« on: <01-22-15/1923:53> »
I'm new to the game and Well I'm making a covert ops character that looks just like every one else but on the street it also keep me from be notice or recorded in both off and on the job clothing.

psycho835

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <01-22-15/1926:01> »
Armor clothes, armored vests (when worn under the clothes), FFBA, lined dusters (hey, it's cyberpunk Seattle)...

MijRai

• Ace Runner
  • Kane's Understudy
« Reply #2 on: <01-22-15/1927:15> »
If you're in upper-class areas, a Synergist or Executive Suite suit might work too.
Would you want to go into a place where the resident had a drum-fed shotgun and can see in the dark?

Rift_0f_Bladz

• Ace Runner
  • Go big or DIE
« Reply #3 on: <01-22-15/2111:42> »
Also, depending on lifestyle and location, armored jacket, urban explorer, biker armor any of the high end fashion armors, or second skin. It really depends on where and what you are doing.
Only armors that will always get noticed no matter what are the full body armors, including the Fullbody armor (CRB), the Mil-Spec harden armors, the heavy security armors, riot gear, or bunker armor.
Quote- Mirikon on 7/30/2019 at 08:26:51
Agreed. This looks like a 'training wheels' edition, that you can use to introduce someone to the setting, and then shift over to something like 5E or 4E. Like how D&D 5E is best used as training wheels for D&D 3.X.

Turned in Toxshaman for ¥1 million/4 once.

MijRai

• Ace Runner
  • Kane's Understudy
« Reply #4 on: <01-22-15/2130:57> »
Bunker gear is fireman armor, so it's not a scary set-up. 
Would you want to go into a place where the resident had a drum-fed shotgun and can see in the dark?

PiXeL01

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Sheltering Orks in Osaka
« Reply #5 on: <01-22-15/2250:00> »
Maybe not scary but in many cases it would be out of place.
If Tom Brady’s a Spike Baby, what does that make Brees and Rodgers?

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #6 on: <01-22-15/2332:07> »
(Didn't we just talk about this recently?)

What type of clothing you need to go unnoticed depends on where you are in the city. Walking down the street in a Armored leather trenchcoat with a gang symbol on the back is going to draw a lot (and probably, unwanted) attention, if you in a AA or better rated zone. Of course, the same thing can be said about a 3 piece power suit in the middle of the barrens (Assuming it is new, and you haven't worn it continuously for a year while sleeping in the gutter,...)

So, wanting to be unnoticed means tailoring your look to each zone of the city you want to operate in.

In the heart of the business district? You want a suit.
In the middle of an industrial zone? Construction wear.
In the middle of the barrens? Leather and armor
In the middle of a Z zone? heavy, heavy armor and the biggest guns you can carry.

The run and Gun book has more options for all sorts of wear and goodies to go with every outfit. (and is the first place to start for what you are looking for)

PS: Welcome to the Site! Welcome to SR!

Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #7 on: <01-23-15/0141:25> »
I'm a huge fan of the Globetrotter Jacket from Run & Gun.  It comes with a holster and 4 points of environmental protection, offers the same protection as an Armor Jacket, and still maintains 10 more modification slots.  If you added it all together, it's like getting 12 armor and 15 mod slots instead of 12 armor and 12 mod slots.  Plus, because it's a name brand you can probably wear it around and it'll just look like you're into militant stuff.
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #8 on: <01-23-15/0239:09> »
Formfitting Body Armor can be used because You wear it UNDER your Clothing

thats a very good Armor for a covert ops Char.

Hough!
Medicineman
http://english.bouletcorp.com/2013/08/02/the-long-journey/
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1V7fi5IqYw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RYlAPjyNm8

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #9 on: <01-23-15/0319:01> »
Formfitting Body Armor can be used because You wear it UNDER your Clothing

thats a very good Armor for a covert ops Char.

Hough!
Medicineman

I HATE that shit!!!!     (as a GM)

I LOVE that shit!! (as a Player!)

the best armor is always the stuff no one can see. Lures them into a false sense of security :D

"Hey Doug, there's the guy! You think we can take him?"
"Heck ye! look at the jerk! He ain't packing armor. Don't need nothing more then a light pistol for this fool, leave the shotgun in the car."

On the flip side, if you go around looking like tank shells are going to bounce off you, chances are that when someone actually does decide to shoot at you, it'll be with an anti tank weapon.
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #10 on: <01-23-15/0448:16> »
I HATE that shit!!!!     (as a GM)

I LOVE that shit!! (as a Player!)
You're going to hate the Shit even more when You compare the 2050 with the R&G Rules
and You're going to hate it more as a player because the R&G ones Suck ,but the 2050 are OK

On the flip side, if you go around looking like tank shells are going to bounce off you, chances are that when someone actually does decide to shoot at you, it'll be with an anti tank weapon.
Opposition that gets their Hands on Anti Tank Weapon spell Trouble in   wahay bigger Letters

He who dances since 2050
Medicineman
http://english.bouletcorp.com/2013/08/02/the-long-journey/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1V7fi5IqYw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RYlAPjyNm8

adzling

« Reply #11 on: <01-23-15/0952:43> »
for covert ops either form fitting body armor or chameleon suit under your clothes.

Rift_0f_Bladz

• Ace Runner
  • Go big or DIE
« Reply #12 on: <01-23-15/1417:48> »
Also depends on country the run is in. In Sioux Nation for example wearing an armored jacket or lined coat is normal, even in fancier restaurants. But again, depends on where you are. Yes, I know bunker armor is fireman's kit, but would look odd in most cases.
Globe Troter armor is nice. Most places urban explorer wouldnt be odd either, if you are pretending to be a courier.
Quote- Mirikon on 7/30/2019 at 08:26:51
Agreed. This looks like a 'training wheels' edition, that you can use to introduce someone to the setting, and then shift over to something like 5E or 4E. Like how D&D 5E is best used as training wheels for D&D 3.X.

Turned in Toxshaman for ¥1 million/4 once.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #13 on: <01-24-15/0031:54> »
My advice is to check out the fluff in 3rd (which, IMO, had the best fluff for gear descriptions) and the rest.  As covert ops, you need to know (research!) what sub-culture you're heading into.  Sure, the Sioux won't blink at an armored jacked or lined coat, but that's especially if it's buckskin-tailored; for them, there are wild and woolly critters out there that you need armor against just going around town.  If you want to blend in with sararimen slumming or the orxploitation executive scene, you want the Sleeping Tiger line; if you want to blend with the avant garde and the quirky at an off-main art gallery, the Steampunk line might be best.  If you're blending with low-level execs, the Synergist line; heading into the boardroom, though, you'll want Executive Suite.

An infiltrator can easily spend hundreds of thousands of nuyen to wear just the right gear in order to blend in.  This is why I created the 'Mr. Cleaner' organization contact for my game - someone who rents out top fashion, 'line' armored clothing, and appropriate stuff with corporate logos and such on them, at a 100% deposit, renting at 5-10% value per day.  A surcharge may be added if the clothing is returned with bullet holes or blood, but if it hits 100%, the armor is considered bought - it's yours, go fix it yourself.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

vallen

• Newb
« Reply #14 on: <01-24-15/2218:37> »
So formfitting body armor or chameleon suit and acceptable clothing for different areas but keep dusters for when you need to change between multiple areas got it that what I got thank guys for your help

Another question would be what types of hats are available that would help hid my characters identity among different areas of he would get a lot of Notoriety