NEWS

OOC: Urban Brawl

• 2168 Replies

Sichr

• Prime Runner
  • TOTÁLNÍ FAŠÍRKA ZMRDI !!!
« Reply #900 on: <07-27-11/1005:26> »
IMO first good roll in this bloody game :)

inca1980

• Ace Runner
« Reply #901 on: <07-27-11/1043:57> »
Well, in a wired system, the only way to travel to a node inside the system is through nodes physically connected to them.  You had the hardware of the maglock node in front of you, so you can wire yourself into that node.  I mean, maybe if you actually took a piece of the wall around the lock out you could get to to the hardline between the maglock and it's master node and intercept that signal, but that would be a more involved hardware test.  You just opened up the covering of the maglock system which pertains to the keypad.  This also gave you enough exposure to the lock to make a VR connection with the lock itself. 

Once in the maglock node then you can connect to any other node its wired to and attempt to gain access to those nodes. 

Sichr

• Prime Runner
« Reply #902 on: <07-27-11/1153:45> »
Well, in a wired system, the only way to travel to a node inside the system is through nodes physically connected to them.  You had the hardware of the maglock node in front of you, so you can wire yourself into that node.  I mean, maybe if you actually took a piece of the wall around the lock out you could get to to the hardline between the maglock and it's master node and intercept that signal, but that would be a more involved hardware test.  You just opened up the covering of the maglock system which pertains to the keypad.  This also gave you enough exposure to the lock to make a VR connection with the lock itself. 

Once in the maglock node then you can connect to any other node its wired to and attempt to gain access to those nodes.

IMO the maglock has anti tampering system built in, I had to override it. Should this line not be used for hacking? I mean...if the lock is able to send the data that it has been breached, the line should be aslo used to send something else...
IMO...
we are still in the abstract SR system, are we?

inca1980

• Ace Runner
« Reply #903 on: <07-27-11/1319:41> »
Well the simple answer is that's just how the architecture of the system is built.  More specifically, the anti-tampering system is probably just some electronic copper wiring....when a circuit is broken the maglock knows and alerts the master node through either a fiber-optic line or perhaps even a direct copper wire to some hardware somewhere else in the building.  I'm basically saying that you'd need to get further into the maglock's hardware which extends into the wall in order to access that fiberoptic cable which goes to the master node. 

When cracking the maglock, i'm assuming that you remove just enough panelling in order to mess with the combination and also jack into the maglock itself for maintenance purposes, and even that required a little jerry-rigging.  It makes sense that any security system would want to limit access to the system to choke-points as much as possible and not have stray connections which could be shunted.  The fiberoptic cabling of the system would at least be well shielded inside walls and would take more than a maglock cracking test to access.  That's basically what i'm saying.

Xzylvador

• Prime Runner
  • Ask me about NERPS! 30% Sales!
« Reply #904 on: <07-27-11/1540:37> »
All good to me, spending that edge still cut one CT off the time it'll take Wagner to hopefully shut down the security.
Inca, should I (/Wagner) consider this standard security design? Just to know in the future what to reasonably expect/plan for. TBH I still only understand probably 10% of the matrix possibilities in SR, but Wagner knows a lot more.

From what I understand, now I'm linked to the lock's node which is linked to the main security node, so I can now try to get inside that one? But theoretically it's possible I'll have to hack through a dozen in-between nodes before having a chance to hit the central node?

Other question: Would it be possible to connect a wireless device to such a cracked open wired device like I did now, so I can interact with it from a distance? (Device could be anything from an antenna to a disposable commlink to one of the drones stuck to Wagner.)

inca1980

• Ace Runner
« Reply #905 on: <07-28-11/0051:10> »
@Xzyl:

You're questions are really good ones and one of the main drawbacks of SR4A and Unwired vs. earlier editions of SR is that they are very vague about matrix topology and that just doesn't help game play too much.  One website that you should definitely look at from a guy who made a lot of sense of what's in the books is this one.  http://pavao.org/shadowrun/miscellany/example_matrix.pdf.  Unwired does a better job but still it would be nice to have a diagrammed layout of a matrix network. 

So matrix security systems want to do precisely what you mentioned:  intruders need to go through several layers in order to get to the good stuff.  The counter balance to this is resources, practicality and system efficiency.  A network should be uncluttered so that it's easier to monitor, but not so simple that only one authentication step gets you access to everything. 

In your case, you can connect to nodes which are physically linked with fiberoptic cable to the hardware which pertains to the node in which you currently find yourself.  In this case it's the maglock.  If you roll a matrix analyze you can find out stuff about nodes connecting to this one.  Roughly I give you 1 piece of info for each hit. 

Now, what you said about connecting a wireless device is a really great idea and it's actually something i did one time when i was playing a hacker and we were raiding a facility.  I connected my decoy commlink to the maglock and went wireless. 

Sichr

• Prime Runner
« Reply #906 on: <07-28-11/0627:02> »
@Xzyl:

You're questions are really good ones and one of the main drawbacks of SR4A and Unwired vs. earlier editions of SR is that they are very vague about matrix topology and that just doesn't help game play too much.  One website that you should definitely look at from a guy who made a lot of sense of what's in the books is this one.  http://pavao.org/shadowrun/miscellany/example_matrix.pdf.  Unwired does a better job but still it would be nice to have a diagrammed layout of a matrix network. 

Some really good stuff on this page. Thanx a lot, Inca :)

Well the simple answer is that's just how the architecture of the system is built.  More specifically, the anti-tampering system is probably just some electronic copper wiring....when a circuit is broken the maglock knows and alerts the master node through either a fiber-optic line or perhaps even a direct copper wire to some hardware somewhere else in the building.  I'm basically saying that you'd need to get further into the maglock's hardware which extends into the wall in order to access that fiberoptic cable which goes to the master node. 

When cracking the maglock, i'm assuming that you remove just enough panelling in order to mess with the combination and also jack into the maglock itself for maintenance purposes, and even that required a little jerry-rigging.  It makes sense that any security system would want to limit access to the system to choke-points as much as possible and not have stray connections which could be shunted.  The fiberoptic cabling of the system would at least be well shielded inside walls and would take more than a maglock cracking test to access.  That's basically what i'm saying.

Well its Wagners work so if he is comfortable with it I dont care too much, but:
Quote from: SRA, p.262
Te frst step to bypassing a maglock is to remove the case and
access  the maglock’s  electronic  “guts.” This  requires  a  successful
Hardware + Logic (Maglock rating x 2, 1 Combat Turn) Extended
Test
Keypads utilize an access code (ofen diferent access codes for
diferent users). Unless the code is known, defeating a keypad requires
rewiring the internal electronics. Tis means cracking open the case
(see above) and then rewiring the circuits—another Hardware + Logic
(Maglock rating x 2, 1 Combat Turn) Extended Test

If opened maglock is opened enought that rewiring circuits is possible, further rolls are just wasting time IMO. KISS, so anybody can stick to it and play by the rules, even those who are not 2073 electronic engineers.

Xzylvador

• Prime Runner
« Reply #907 on: <07-28-11/0934:56> »
We did all that, the test Zach glitched but Inca allowed Wagner to help rectify.
What we're doing now has got nothing to do with the maglock (or the maglock rules), but with hacking into the system.
And I have to admit that something like what Inca is describing here is described in Unwired. Putting a system behind a system behind a system. Only way to get to the last is to first break through the first ones.

What might be possible is that Unwired meant that, instead of every device being one of those required steps, they're divided into larger subsystems than one single lock. (The pdf example doesn't even have those but only has one large "security" node)
Like for example, the maglocks run on their own system, the turrets run on their own system and both are running in the security system.
This would mean that hacking a secure account into the maglock sub-system is enough to control all locks -not just the one Wagner's hooked to. But getting to the turret system from the lock would mean first hacking the maglock system, then from there hacking the central-security system and only from there can the turret system be hacked.

Bleh, will find out after a matrix perception check. IP2 here? (I think Brick said he was delaying to shoot down whoever bust through the door, but TI might have changed his mind...)

@Inca: Wagner's shout over comms: Was just a free action speech thing. Not a simple action Issue Command; but since you sometimes seem to allow drone pilots a level of intelligence (they are attack combat drones after all) I figured it was worth a shot. I'll leave you to decide their action (or inaction) and rolls since it's their dog-brain deciding their actions, not Wagner.
« Last Edit: <07-28-11/0941:05> by Xzylvador »

Sichr

• Prime Runner
« Reply #908 on: <07-28-11/1028:33> »
I understand...I just meant that if the maglock is opened enought to rewire its systzem, there is no need to break the wall around the maglock to find the optic cable.
I also think that maglock node would be further slaved to some kind of main securitty node, that has privileges also for node maintaining turrets and other armed response...and possibly another one for cameras and tactical informations for response teams. Having those systems completely separated would be risky, because they need to share a lot of data.
Well digging through it would take a bit longer.
Sorry for that hurried infiltration post, I was a bit jumpy when I got back from Germany. now we have to do this the hard way...which really wasn`t my intention :)

Xzylvador

• Prime Runner
« Reply #909 on: <07-28-11/1038:43> »
No problem, was just trying to convey what Wagner would've done when Zach said he wanted to sneak past the sensors, which inca allowed.
UB was supposed to go fast, no need to wait for a thumbs up from everyone for every step you take :)

Sichr

• Prime Runner
« Reply #910 on: <07-28-11/1055:38> »
right :)
Well I feel like Im endangered specie now :)

Teyl_Iliar

• Omae
  • Professionals, Don't cross them.
« Reply #911 on: <07-28-11/1103:41> »
@ xzy: I'm still holding that door for you brother. anything that comes uninvited to this party is gonna get a face full of pain.

@sichr:... good luck man. I suggest you just do what you do and try to live through it.

@Inca: it's just like i said last night.  :P
UB
Brick
speaking
ITF
Slip
speaking
thinking
comm

Sichr

• Prime Runner
« Reply #912 on: <07-28-11/1128:49> »
Teyl: Well I would feel better if you destroy those two towers in the corridor, well I understand that SnS would probably not work on them and XXL would make more noise than me screaming in pain :)

EDIT: If so, that would be just by my own fault...
« Last Edit: <07-28-11/1146:06> by Sichr »

Teyl_Iliar

• Omae
  • Professionals, Don't cross them.
« Reply #913 on: <07-28-11/1222:23> »
it might be panther time regardless soon. If those turrets are being monitored (sure bet they are.) the security is gonna show up soon. if you're dead and its just me an xzy, he's gonna be busy getting the data we need or we're gonna be making a hasty exit... I hope you make it to cover soon or something...
UB
Brick
speaking
ITF
Slip
speaking
thinking
comm

Sichr

• Prime Runner
« Reply #914 on: <07-28-11/1316:34> »
Sir, open your eyes and watch me dance :) (even if it is for the last time :D )

If wagner makes it throught the system quick enought, he can mess with the reports so response teams will be rerouted to someplace else. I`m fool...mental note: when infiltrating, prepare a diversion first to distract guard to the oposite part of the building...