NEWS

OOC: Urban Brawl

• 2168 Replies

Kot

• Ace Runner
  • Meaow
« Reply #435 on: <04-15-11/1519:46> »
I think I have enough Karma to Initiate. Checking... Yes.
I would really like to both do an Initiatory Ordeal, and join a group - hopefully that can be my Master's group. It that's possible the cost would be lowered by 6 karma to a total of 7, and that would leave me with enough karma to raise Binding to 2 and purchase a Spirits of Man specialty on it.

I would really like to pay the rent i owe, and next months rent. And I won't say anything about 'my cut' either...

Quote from: Learning Binding at rank 2 - Intuition(5)+Binding(1) (4, 1 week)
Intuition(5)+Binding(1) (6d6.hits(5)=1)
Intuition(5)+Binding(1) (6d6.hits(5)=3)

Also, Stryker won't allow Zach to roam the streets with such wounds. He wants him to stay at Stryker's place where he can get a good medical care. I checked up Augumentation on healing rules, and Stryker can add to Zach's healing rolls by both using Medicine, extended magical care, Enchanting and Assensing based healing arts. Worth a shot. :)
Plus, that's only a 10% increase in lifestyle prices. And a free bodyguard. :)
« Last Edit: <04-15-11/1524:13> by Kot »
Mariusz "Kot" Butrykowski
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup."

Teyl_Iliar

• Omae
  • Professionals, Don't cross them.
« Reply #436 on: <04-15-11/1717:58> »
I've spoken with the crew. Brick is getting 6408, and Stryker and Zach get 4,908 each. Also, in addition to Doc watson being added as a L 1 C 4  Zach should probably have Rush added as a L 1 C 2 contact considering they did some business together and all. any repairs zach needs done Brick will contact Anita for so he can get that stuff done. Brick is going to send an extra 150 nuyen to Doc watson as thanks for the last minute help. which will leave him at 9,008 nuyen left. I'll do some thinking and then post what He's going to use it on and how he's going to spend his karma.
UB
Brick
speaking
ITF
Slip
speaking
thinking
comm

Teyl_Iliar

• Omae
« Reply #437 on: <04-16-11/0515:10> »
also Inca, I want to discuss the notoriety you're giving me. I'm looking in SR4a about how it street cred and public awareness work, with the way I'm reading it works the street cred is karma divided by 10 rounded up, that puts me at 4 ish. (since career start) as far as my notoriety goes its supposed to be something you earn for, failing or refusing a run, killing the innocent, pissing off a johnson, picking and losing a fight, behaviors that are obnoxious/callous, getting arrested, betraying people, earning a powerful enemy, working for a dragon, and/or exceptional bad luck (fuck ups). and seems only related to the opinion of the other people in the shadow world. Public awareness is for doing something that catches the eyes of the public, authorities, and in the media. it's supposed to be street cred+notoriety divided by 3 rounded down.
You do get +1 notoriety in the shadows though for your signature.  You also get +1 notoriety for the video because word gets out that the guy making it is some runner named "Brick" but that's your alter-ego.
with the way you described how I got the notoriety, it doesn't seem appropriate, as it seems more like a public awareness boon since it hit the media on purpose. I'm therefore wondering if the numbers given are accurate to what happened :-\.
UB
Brick
speaking
ITF
Slip
speaking
thinking
comm

Kot

• Ace Runner
  • Meaow
« Reply #438 on: <04-16-11/0518:53> »
I think he's right. The Signature negative quality gives a point of Notoriety if you have it at character creation, but not beyond that. And I don't think Brick would give away his identity in the video. Any of them...

P.S. Woah. I forgot I saved 3 karma from the last run! :)
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup."

Teyl_Iliar

• Omae
« Reply #439 on: <04-16-11/0529:30> »
I think he's right. The Signature negative quality gives a point of Notoriety if you have it at character creation, but not beyond that. And I don't think Brick would give away his identity in the video. Any of them...
It's not listed on P.265, but i'm not arguing that point, hell I agree with it. I am arguing word getting out that it's me thing, I think that falls under public awareness unless theirs a good reason for it not to. just IMO.

Edit: fuck yea extra karma!
UB
Brick
speaking
ITF
Slip
speaking
thinking
comm

Kot

• Ace Runner
  • Meaow
« Reply #440 on: <04-16-11/0602:39> »
It couldn't be listed, because that list involves Qualities from the corebook. Signature is in Runners Companion, and that book doesn't have any list of qualities that give Notoriety. And since it's a rule that involves only chargen qualities that give Notoriety, I'd argue with Inca until he tells you 'because I say so'. :)

Oh, and it looks like I'll get a Rank 3 esence cost-free Wired Reflexes for 4 Karma. Quickening rocks. :)
And I'm making up a new safehouse from the RC rules. Sichr, any requests? You want a workshop/training room?

So, I've beefed up that Lifestyle, and though it's a tricky one, I think we can afford it, if Zach agrees to join up and share the place. :)
This is a raw version, we'd have to get Inca to agree on it, and I'm waiting for suggestions.

Quote from: Lifestyle - Ye Olde Magick Place
It's an old house, probably dating back to the early 20-th century. It has history, space, and mortar-and-brick walls. Two stories high, with a porch, basement and attic, and a small, but nicely kept yard. It has no garage, and no parking space, but it's big enough to fit more than six people... For three it's a perfect place.

Comforts: Low (2) - the furniture is old and rickety*, but at least it's not aged cheap plastic.

Entertainment: Squatter (1) - not much, as keeping the house takes up a lot of time and resources, and mages have better things to do.

Necessities: Middle (3) - the place doesn't look like much, but it has it's perks, along with a lot of appliances and such.

Neighborhood: Squatter (1) - this neighborhood is bad, and there's not much anyone can do about it...

Security: Middle (3) - ...but at least that's good for the local ' security forces' who are not to be trifled with.

Positive Qualities:

-> Perfect Roommate (2) - it's a fellow Spellweaver, a woman called Kaya, who had some rough times, and needs a roommate to help her keep the place.

-> Aspected Domain (5) - the best thing about the place is that the Spellweaver cabal managed to groom this place's background count to reflect their own way of magic.

-> Homegrown Farming (1) - Spellweavers are a bit down-to-earth people and many of them try to keep a healthy lifestyle, and growing your own food helps with that.

-> Workplace (1) - this safehouse is big enough to accommodate more than one study/lodge, and to fit other workspaces in.

Negative Qualities:
-> Crash Pad (1) - the Domain makes other Spellweavers and their allies come and go, and nobody can really tell them to keep out.

-> Green Plan (1) - since the local gang blew up one of the neighboring buildings, the house is running on a few cheap solar panels and a jury-rigged bio-gas generator.

-> Worse Neighbors (1) - ghouls. Yes, you've heard right, ghouls. The people-eating kind. But they don't eat where they sleep, fortunately.

-> Rough Neighborhood (1) - between the ghouls, the go-gangs waging war with the Ancients, and the amount of lowlife scum around nobody really wants to visit this district. It's bad even for Barrens standards.

-> Trigger-happy Landlord (1) - he's a greedy ex-fixer who burned his bridges, and this place is his biggest treasure, since he found out about the Domain. He's dumb enough to think he can sell it of to some wealthy hermetic, and just waits till he can kick them out. As Kaya said - 'I'd like to have a Dragon landlord, who'd just eat us if we don't pay.'

The total point cost is 14 (10 from the main Aspects, +9 from the Positive Qualities, and  -5 from the Negative Qualities), that gives a monthly cost of 4,4k. If Zach will be so kind to join Stryker, the costs would be 4,840, so divided between the two of them it would be 2420 monthly each. We can get that, right?

* Made by an obscure independent Scandinavian manufacturer.
« Last Edit: <04-16-11/0636:44> by Kot »

Sichr

• Prime Runner
  • TOTÁLNÍ FAŠÍRKA ZMRDI !!!
« Reply #441 on: <04-16-11/0705:31> »
Man I need every coin to repair and upgrade my equip and skillz. maybe next time, If I manage to save more money. I`d stay on the street I think. Ill see about that, Im mastering Dusk today and Im preparing for the run, so i dont have the time right now.

Kot

• Ace Runner
  • Meaow
« Reply #442 on: <04-16-11/0709:38> »
Well, then I can't really afford it, if Inca doesn't allow to share the cost with the Perfect Roommate NPC. Sigh...

inca1980

• Ace Runner
« Reply #443 on: <04-16-11/0943:51> »
@Teyl:

Signature negative quality doesn't add a point of Notoriety at character creation....i don't know where that came from.

So I misspoke a little when I meant the Notoriety was for your Signature negative quality, i meant to say more specifically that it was for the acts you committed which also happen to satisfy your Signature.  Signature is usually a little more specific i.e. joker card, chess piece, but yours works too.....I see it as a certain amount of unnecessary distruction that anyone who knows about Brick would rather quickly make the connection, "that's Brick's handywork". 

So the notoriety is not necesarily for your Signature negative quality, it's for tearing up the whole floor of the building which happened to also fulfill your Signature....but that's not why you tore the floor up.  In Notoriety and Street Cred section, it talks about how it only affects people who know about your reputation.  So a huge number of fixers and people who want jobs done in the shadows tend to want to have those things done quietly....so now your reputation among people that know the shadows is out there.  The assumption is that the way the shadows work is that somehow someway, people within the shadows are gonna find out about these super secret shadowruns that are going on.  It's like urban legends.  Covering your traces basically just makes sure that corporations, authorities, media etc. don't connect a job with your biometrics....and keep you out of trouble.  It's way way harder to keep your name out of Shadowrunner gossip.  Among whispers that go on only inside shadowrunner bars, word gets out that this one guy "Brick" has a serious penchant for fucking shit up in a way over-the-top style....not only buildings, but he goes to work on snitches with 7 gallons of water and an extension cable and he basically doesn't give a fuck.

Now this can be a good thing if that's what you're getting hired to do....hence Notoriety is added as an Intimidation positive modifier against people who also might know your "Reputation".  I'd make sure to make a note next to each point of Notoriety saying what it's for and then this will help us determine who these points can apply to.  You Signature negative quality just makes it harder for you to avoid gaining notoriety....but i'm not saying you're automatically gonna get notoriety ever shadowrun just cuz you gotta satisfy Signature....you could satisfy it by just busting a watermain in a building or something....cuz the purpose of Signature is more of a "calling card" type of thing for those who know how to look for those things....so you could have fullfilled Signature in a quieter way.  It's a fluid concept that sometimes will help you and sometimes bite you in the ass.

Street Cred is far broader and is basically just an indicator of how much raw "experience" you have in the shadows...how much of a "name" you have....basically a proxy for "levels" in D&D, and that's why it's based off of total Karma earned.  As I said in my earlier post, the one problem with this though is that i'm doing almost twice as much Karma reward as they recommend.  Shadowrun Missions gives out like 6 Karma per run. ...and say people do a run every two weeks real world time....then it works out the same.  So since we're doing PbP that's why I give you guys more Karma, so that it kind of matches realworld time Karma accumulation and it doesn't take like 6 months for you guys to improve your chars to an extent that it would take a normal group of table-top runners only like 2-3 months to improve to the same extent.  The deal is then that stats derived from total Karma earned are based on the table-top karma progression, and since I'm giving you more, it's best to just scrap the Total Karma Earned/10 and i'll just regulate your street cred growth. 

So the idea is basically that I gave the Notoriety points to Brick to mainly reflect the added Intimidation factor that he has.  People in the shadows know that the guy who fucked up that building with a weapon they have never even heard of before and made that video is named "Brick"....so whenever they encounter "Brick" there's gonna be that intimidation factor there.  The negative side of this is that your gonna have to work extra hard to convince Johnson's who maybe want their jobs done with a little more finesse that you can do their job and be stealthy too.  In this case Notoriety might affect a social test to Negotiate more money for a job for example.  I feel the Notoriety points capture this whole idea quite well so let's keep it how it is.  Don't worry, Notoriety gets applied in a case by case basis depending on who you're talking to...so don't feel like it's a this curse.  It would be a big punishment for someone like Kot, cuz he cares what Spirits think of him, etc.....but Brick just doesn't. 

Kot

• Ace Runner
  • Meaow
« Reply #444 on: <04-17-11/0350:43> »
Well, I was referring to the rules from Character Generation, where you use your negative qualities to discern your starting Notoriety. But I'm okay with that explanation - it fits the way Brick works.

Oh, and I've dropped the usual karma regulated Street Cred rules alltogether, so I like it.
EDIT: Spirit Cred and Spirit Notoriety... Now, that's an idea!

Teyl_Iliar

• Omae
« Reply #445 on: <04-17-11/1758:33> »
Alright, I spent some of my karma and i'm going to save the rest for now, also brick is going to pay his next month's rent right off the bat, just make his land lord happy. so that's -2K from 9K, his money, karma, street cred and notoriety are listed at the bottom of his character sheet. I might spend some of the money Brick has otherwise, before the next run starts. if so, i'll list what and how much was paid here.
UB
Brick
speaking
ITF
Slip
speaking
thinking
comm

inca1980

• Ace Runner
« Reply #446 on: <04-17-11/2053:52> »
Ok, so Sichr brought to my attention the fact that I think we've been doing the way nodes work totally wrong.  People on the thread i created really confirm this for me.  So the deal is, if your commlink detects a node, it really only gives you a list of nodes that it has detected but nothing about their location unless the node decides to actively broadcast it's location to you.  So when you see the list of what nodes your commlink has detected you only know that they are somewhere inside of a dome that has the radius of YOUR comm's signal range.  This is as specific as you can get with just a Scan program.  Now, if your signal range is greater than 50 m (rating >1) then by conducting a trace with a Trace program you can narrow it down to within 50m of that node. 

The gps coordinates of the node are stored inside of that node, so the only other way I could see of highlighting a little dot on an ARO  to indicate the location of that node is if either: 1. that node is openly broadcasting it's gps coordinates, or 2. you managed to hack into that node and instruct it to broadcast it's gps coordinates.  I would say you can choose who you want to have access to your gps coordinates....this way a team can be hooked up. 

So since in the last run you were able to find the location of the nodes, the fix will be that the team guarding Razor Girl didn't take too much precaution when it came to wireless matters and basically kept thier comm's on universal gps broadcast mode (which could be part of what SIN broadcasts) and then just went into hidden mode.  This meant that only comms which knew of their comes could see their gps, but all it took was a detect hidden nodes scan and as soon as you were aware of the node, you could see it was broadcasting it's coordinates.  Basically they relied too much on the notion that nobody would detect their comms on hidden. 

This make sense to everyone?  This seems to be how everyone else is playing it and it also makes hacker's role more important and integral to combat so i like the teamwork aspect to it.  The hacker finds the nodes and then hacks them to try and get in and instruct it to broadcast gps.....and then boom, you got a little dot on your ARO that you hunt down.  Hack also has to be on sight cuz his comm needs to be able to be in mutual signal range (unless he has a drone on sight that has a good Scan program loaded).
« Last Edit: <04-17-11/2059:14> by inca1980 »

Sichr

• Prime Runner
« Reply #447 on: <04-18-11/0325:27> »
Actualy, I was thinking about the GPS, because even today GPS is able to locate transmitter within +-5m. So this idea about exact Node coordinates stored insiide the Node and accesible by Hacking is what I find perfect solution. Thanx Inca, Ill use this in my games also.

Sichr

• Prime Runner
« Reply #448 on: <04-18-11/1436:46> »
OK. To get ready Zach needs to:
- Find someone who will repair his armor (he was hit just once...:) )
- Buy Quick draw holster for the SMG
- Buy Climbing gear
- Find someone, who will be able to change barrel and firing pin of his gun. Next time i may not be using ex-ex and I dont want to get my guns hot in that case, so Ill need an armorer.

If you tell me what rolls are needed and what costs I have to pay I will do that. Nothing else, I dont have enought karma to do something that matters right now.

And Ill roll survival for every month, so tell me how many rolls I need.

Teyl_Iliar

• Omae
« Reply #449 on: <04-18-11/1458:19> »
Brick is an armorer, and also has a fixer who can probably get your stuff repaired. also long as you front the cost of repairs and a cut for the fixer I'll roll her stats to get your things repaired, and Brick can probably handle the work you want done to you weapons as long as you provide the parts. if that's ok with Inca.
UB
Brick
speaking
ITF
Slip
speaking
thinking
comm