NEWS

Choices, Choices...

• 3 Replies

golan2072

• Newb
  • Dwarf Tech-Wiz
« on: <05-20-12/1332:59> »
We're going to start our new Shadowrun 4A campaign this Wednesday. I'm the GM and there are two players - one, more experienced (more experienced than me, playing a Troll PhysAd focused on melee and throwing (and also capable of brandishing heavy guns if stealth is no concern) and one less experienced who is going to play either a Combat Hacker or a Shaman/Face. I might add an NPC to the group for skill backup (either magic or hacking, depending on what the second player chooses).

Now, I have to choose a setting, and probably a pre-made adventure for the first run (as I'm not sure I can prep a homebrew so quickly). The choices I'm considering are (all 2073):

1) My initial thought of Chicago; the main plot will revolve around the gang war in the CZ between the Union, the Human Brigade/Humanis Nation and the Swamp Thangs (among others). I'm thinking about starting off with a pre-made adventure (possibly On The Run from the Runner's Toolkit) then starting to weave my own plot once the runners will have some street cred under their belts. This will mean more work for me on the campaign but it should end up more satisfying.

2) Another option is NYC, where I can run the entire Season 3 of Missions. This will mean less work for me but also less creative opportunities. Also more linear than my initial intention. Heightened Manhattan security might also be more restrictive.

What do you think my best options would be?

Cthulhutech

• Newb
« Reply #1 on: <05-20-12/1813:42> »
Well my recommendation would be #2 if you're fairly new to shadowrunning, or if you just don't have a lot of time to sit around and write all your own stuff.  And let's be honest, how many of us really do have the time we'd want to set aside each week for that?

Don't go thinking, though, that running premades means there's no room for creativity.  Think of the missions as a guide, one that the players probably won't follow as closely as expected.

NinthSphere

• Chummer
« Reply #2 on: <05-20-12/1840:10> »
I'd second #2. It's only 12-13 missions, if you get into it, and having the mission framework laid out for you let's you put more time into making things run more smoothly.

golan2072

• Newb
  • Dwarf Tech-Wiz
« Reply #3 on: <05-21-12/0223:53> »
Thanks for the input! It will be NYC, then! ;D