NEWS

That Salem Dragon - psb spoilers

• 22 Replies

Beta

• Ace Runner
  • SR1 player, SR5 GM@FtF & player@PbP
« Reply #15 on: <03-12-16/1923:36> »
Except, wasn't part of the point of the wireless matrix supposed to be to limit any future AI?  The noise should make dispersed computing near impossible, and limit how far from its physical location an AI could be very influential?   At least that was what I thought the new architecture was supposed to do.....or did I misunderstand?

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #16 on: <03-12-16/2050:51> »
Nope, the wireless matrix was designed to make the grid more resilient from attacks in general. Think about it this way. With telephone lines today, you take out a wire, and you can cut off an entire building's communications. Take out a couple poles, and you can cut off an entire town. The Wired matrix was the same principle. With wireless, now as long as someone within signal range of your commlink has a connection to the matrix at large, you have a connection to the matrix at large, making it far harder for the entire grid to be taken offline, unless you're in dead zones (like parts of the Barrens, or out in the wild). Remember, the Wireless Matrix Initiative was being drawn up before Deus's existence was even known to the corporate types at large. They had a good five years or more working on the tech before implementation started going up just after Crash 2.0, where people saw how vulnerable the wired matrix was.

The reduction in power newer AIs have seems to be based on the fact that they're no longer 'born' in massive server farms that serves the main computing needs for the North American HQ of the megacorp best known for software, but can wake up in, say, a drone or your toaster.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Lorebane24

• Omae
« Reply #17 on: <03-13-16/0052:22> »
Yes, but wouldn't it still be bound by the limits of Eliohans brain (great as they may be)?  And wouldn't it still be tethered to a physical form while jacked in?  I'd imagine that though die pools would remain high, it would still be bound by the same rules that apply runners.  It could rig the shit out of a drone, but could still only directly control a single drone at a time.  It still has to apply marks and whatnot, and contend with GOD.  I believe that a completely untethered Deus, with the power it used to possess, would give a GM plausible license to totally rewrite the way it interacts with the matrix.  I envision it directly controlling dozens of drones at once, ripping through host defenses and taking control of all slaved devices in a matter of a couple of rounds, that sort of shit.  I'm playing with an arc right now where this could become a reality if the PCs don't get wise fast.
The power of the Tri-Horse!

belaran

• Omae
« Reply #18 on: <03-13-16/0134:26> »
I've been reading the rule for AI yesterday and honestly the make it pretty painful to be an AI "on the grid". Even for a powerful AI like Deus. The way the rule are writtin in Data Trails makes me agrees with Beta, the new protocol makes it shitty for an AI to be on the run - actually makes it easy for the AI to quickly moved from being on the run to captured. (unless it has a SIN). Honestly, reading this section really made me understand why the CFD and the willingness of some AI to flee the matrix...

However, those rules also states that if the AI is "homed" to a device - and one could argue that a dragon body filled with nanites is a device, AI really catches a break. And more/less the more powerful the device, the better.... Could anyone find a better 'deck as Eliohann body ? :)

Lorebane24

• Omae
« Reply #19 on: <03-13-16/0328:40> »
Right, but would those same rules necessarily apply if you could find a way to get something resembling one of the old AIs?
The power of the Tri-Horse!

belaran

• Omae
« Reply #20 on: <03-13-16/0337:43> »
Well, the way the rules are described is not really because of the nature of AI changed but more because of how the Matrix works now. It really does sounds more like part of the design of the new protocol was clearly aims at limiting the power of AI, and even makes their capture easier.

One could definitely argue that a IA such as Deus might be able to go around those designs (and rules), but it does seems to me that like most AIs wants to get out of the trix (head case) or at least be home into a device they do control.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #21 on: <03-13-16/0606:28> »
The Eliohann of Dragon Hunt was barely an adult; he'd have a long, long way to go before making the jump to Great
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

belaran

• Omae
« Reply #22 on: <03-25-16/1238:06> »
Even a "baby" dragon with Deus persona in it makes a powerful opponent and an interesting plot point for Shadowrun. I hope we'll get an update soon on what is happening in Salem (maybe an extension to Shadowrun: Chronicles on Salem, as it was discussed originaly).