NEWS

Help with SRM 02-01 Parliament of Thieves

• 12 Replies

darcdante

• Newb
« on: <08-04-11/0217:01> »
This is an older mission, but I'm running it for my group's new SR campaign on Sunday. If anyone here has experience running this mission, I'm curious how you handled the part where the Yakuza and Triad both show up to get the package. It seems like a firefight is inevitable if the PCs don't immediately drive away. It says if one side wins the bidding war, the other side will "draw down" on them; however, ss there a viable reason these two sides would choose not to start shooting, regardless of what happens? Suppose the PCs choose to keep the package, do the two sides just give up and say "Alright!"? That seems out of character for them based on the information provided.
« Last Edit: <08-09-11/1510:10> by darcdante »
darc

Crash_00

« Reply #1 on: <08-04-11/0220:05> »
It's been a bit since I've played it, but if I remember the scene right, we got stuck in traffic and couldn't just drive off.

Both sides came in with their muscle and we managed to start a bidding war between them offering the package to the highest bidder. They ended up drawing down on each other to settle the negotiations and we split during the fight.

darcdante

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <08-04-11/1332:38> »
That seems like the most likely outcome. The mission says they'll only draw down if the negotiating war begins (which requires a successful test) and one of them wins the bidding war (in theory, I suppose it could end with the players refusing to sell to either group). But even if the bidding war isn't initiated or won by either side, it seems like there's little alternative to a gunfight. I should probably just make sure I'm prepared for it lol.

Thanks for the input, Crash!
darc

darcdante

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <08-08-11/2302:21> »
My players wouldn't even roll the window down, so An Peng (triad troll) busted it out. That quickly led to combat lol. Oh well! The rigger easily made the pilot check to get through traffic, so it was short-lived.
darc

Shadowstarr

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <08-09-11/0322:09> »
Isn't parliament of thieves season 2 not 3? 
The group I GM'ed went trigger happy and killed nearly every one from both factions. Granted they had help with the two groups taking each other out.  This sucked cause An Peng (i think thats the name,  troll mage) is part of a later mission. 

darcdante

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <08-09-11/1511:53> »
Oops, you're right, Shadowstarr! I changed the title to reflect the correct season (2).

How'd you handle An Peng being dead? Did you bring him back somehow, or just change out NPCs and rework the story? That's likely what would've happened to me if the party's driver hadn't made his pilot ground craft check.
darc

Shadowstarr

• Newb
« Reply #6 on: <08-09-11/1956:26> »
hasn't come up yet as we did mission 2-4 last, been doing some custom stuff since.  I'm about to turn the warrens into a mini Chicago Containment Zone ;)  When it does come up probly gonna be chees and say here is Won Peng,  An's twin bro or something. 

squee_nabob

• Chummer
« Reply #7 on: <08-10-11/1327:12> »
In my group they waited for the NPCs to introduce themselves, then refused and drove off (using spoofing to move cars and combat driving to get out).

Sentinemodo

• Prime Runner
  • Prepare for the worst - surprises will be pleasant
« Reply #8 on: <09-01-11/0642:10> »
A bit late to answer, but you may check out how this was played by my game on the forum here.
Sorry for a small delay ;)

Denver Missions
concluded 01 02 03 04 05 10 09 11
running 13
runners: Caretaker Jerry

drkpaladin

• Newb
« Reply #9 on: <10-26-11/0920:14> »
This was the first Shadowrun mission I'd ever run, and it turned out to be alot of fun.  For me, at this point, the group didn't immediately comply when told to pull over, leading one of the gangs to start a high speed chase and shootout on the highway.  The other gang showed up immediately afterwards. The two gangs looked at each other and silently agreed to take care of the runners first, and then deal with or fight it out with each other.  One of the gangs got their vehicle trashed. Then the runners then started getting stuck in traffic with the yakuza still behind them.  They decided to cheese it outta there before the Yakuza, more Triads, or Lone Star showed up.  They then split off on foot, one phys ad base jumped off the highway (using a parachute).  A mage ran the other way, eventually turning a corner, shapeshifting and then flying outta there.  By then, I pretty much said they got away from the two groups, and they all met up again shortly afterwards.

I'm glad that this is the first mission I'd ever run.  I realized right away that the reason it was so much fun was because the mission itself had a strict time limit of a couple hours.  This kept the whole thing fast paced and the game moving.  I was just giving our regular gm a break, but every session I run will have an in-game time limit for one reason or another.

Shanfara

• Newb
« Reply #10 on: <04-29-12/0948:34> »
Our driver (not really a rigger) with a huge pilot (groundcraft) fired her smoke screen and gunned her Hyundai right out of there. I deemed 6 hits good enough to drive out of there.
The lack of obvious balance between mundanes and awakened casters enhances the game and encourages creativity and role playing.

crowofpyke

• Newb
« Reply #11 on: <05-15-12/1549:38> »
When I played this mission the Triad came from one direction and the Yakuza from another.  Both demanded the package.  A huge firefight broke out.  We managed to pound some of both sides at which time the both started hitting the GMC step-van we were in.  We abandoned that right before it blew the hell up and commandeered an armored limo.  Traffic was blocking so we had to make a few driving rolls to either get around or punch through, all during a firefight.  We later sold the armored limo to recover some of the funding lost in a blown up GMC step-van.... Heh.  It made the news.  Noteriety was had.

Henzington

• Omae
  • Stun rounds+Edge=Lethal
« Reply #12 on: <05-18-12/1634:54> »
when my group did this mission it ended with everyone on both sides being murdered. Became a running joke that An Peng had a brother who always ended up getting killed every single time.
Whenever I am at a loss for I should do, I ask myself what would Michael Weston do?