NEWS

SR6 Starting Attribute Questions

• 9 Replies

j2klbs

• Newb
« on: <08-22-20/1733:25> »
Hi all,

I am a little unclear on a couple things related to starting attributes in 6th edition.  Much appreciation to whoever can answer the following:

1.  When spending the attribute points at character creation, do all your attributes start at 1 and you increase them from there?  Or do you have to increase from 0?  For example, does increasing STR to 6 cost 5 or 6 of your attribute points?

2.  When spending Adjustment Points on "special racial attributes", can you freely spend those points on that attribute, or only when exceeding a value of 6?  In other words, if I have a troll with 11 Adjustment Points, can I dump 9 of those 11 Adjustment points into Strength?  Or can I only use 3 of the Adjustment points to increase the attribute from a value of 6 to 9?

3.  If I am a human with 9 adjustment points, but I do not have magic or resonance, then after purchasing a 7 edge are the additional adjustment points just lost?  Or can I convert or use these adjustment points into something useful?

Thanks!!

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <08-22-20/1740:17> »
1.  When spending the attribute points at character creation, do all your attributes start at 1 and you increase them from there? 
Yes.

2.  When spending Adjustment Points on "special racial attributes", can you freely spend those points on that attribute
Yes.

In other words, if I have a troll with 11 Adjustment Points, can I dump 9 of those 11 Adjustment points into Strength?
Yes.

3.  If I am a human with 9 adjustment points, but I do not have magic or resonance, then after purchasing a 7 edge are the additional adjustment points just lost? 
Yes.

j2klbs

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <08-22-20/1812:36> »
Thank you Xenon!  Very clearly stated answers.  You rock!

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <08-22-20/1844:54> »
Minor correction:

In other words, if I have a troll with 11 Adjustment Points, can I dump 9 of those 11 Adjustment points into Strength?
Yes.
You start with strength 1 and trolls have a metatype maximum strength of 9, so you can only dump 8 of your adjustment points into strength (for a total rating of 9)

(Also note that only one of your attributes may have metatype maximum rating at chargen)

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #4 on: <08-23-20/0215:04> »
And note only 9 attributes have a metatype max, ergo Magic and Resonance are commonly assumed to be excepted.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

j2klbs

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <09-12-20/1519:03> »
Ahh, so for further clarification.

If a human maxes out his Edge to 7, does that count as his one and only maxed out attribrute?

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <09-12-20/1556:30> »
It depend on your reading perhaps, but Yes, this is how I read it.

Other metatypes can only have Edge 5 (unless they want to use their one and only maximum metatype maximum rating on Edge) while humans can have Edge 6 and still not count as a metatype maximum rating.

j2klbs

• Newb
« Reply #7 on: <09-12-20/2031:35> »
Thanks for the quick reply!  :D

Sir Ludwig

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Chummer
« Reply #8 on: <09-12-20/2253:12> »
j2klbs,

As Xenon said, Edge depends on how you read it.  However, I agree with Xenon's opinion that it does count as the one max. 

Best,
SL
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #9 on: <09-13-20/0438:40> »
The reasoning behind it is because Edge is one of the listed 9 attributes in The Metatype Attributes Table.

SR6 p. 63 Attributes
Baseline attributes range start at 1 and can go up to 6. That range is modified by metatype and/or chosen qualities. The Metatype Attributes table provides the ranges of the attributes for each metatype and the particular qualities certain metatypes gain as a free bonus...During character creation, only one attribute may be at the maximum for the selected metatype.