NEWS

Prices run wild in Running Wild

• 34 Replies

Ajax

• Omae
« Reply #15 on: <03-21-12/1907:18> »
It's not a clear rule, at least not very clear to me.  If I train the dog for each task individually, a basic guard dog costs more than an attack helicopter. If I am only meant to train the dog by training level, then every guide dog is also a combat-capable attack animal.  Clearly, their is something frakked up with both of those options...

Evil looms. Cowboy up. Kill it. Get paid.

Sichr

• Prime Runner
  • TOTÁLNÍ FAŠÍRKA ZMRDI !!!
« Reply #16 on: <03-21-12/1910:45> »
You are on your own then  8)

As everything, in rules, this is abstract. It works very well. If you use your skill to train animal, as per rules, you can increase whole Training level. If you ever trained a dog, you know that you are never training one command again and again...even for this Guide dog it is intensive training incorporating complex behavioral pattern.
Well, the real issue is...If you want to see this rule, otherwise completely understandable and clear even for me, czech, non-native english speaking person, then it is oly by your choice. BTW...take into consideration how long interval there is for advanced or against instincts training...and consider if that really takes 5 years to train good police dog...or if you want to say that a different way...is there any risk that the dof will die of age during the advanced training?
And...
Is this THAT crucial for your gameplay, if those abstract training levels mix somehow? If answer is yes, Id say you can change your GM so you can try to have some fun during the shadowrun game, not only math exercise and arguing all the time ;)
« Last Edit: <03-21-12/1920:35> by Sichr »

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #17 on: <03-22-12/0254:20> »
It's not a clear rule, at least not very clear to me.  If I train the dog for each task individually, a basic guard dog costs more than an attack helicopter. If I am only meant to train the dog by training level, then every guide dog is also a combat-capable attack animal.  Clearly, their is something frakked up with both of those options...

Please show me where it explicitly says you have to pay separately for every single thing the animal is trained in, because I'm just not seeing it and, given the examples in the sidebar on page 37... which are the ONLY examples that are relevant, since they're the only examples that deal specifically with purchasing a pre-trained animal... there is absolutely no indication that this is the case.

The examples listed p38 are exactly that, examples of what is available at certain levels. You pay based on the most advanced skill the dog has, not for each individual skill.
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

Mason

• Ace Runner
  • You don't know as many spells as I do, omae!
« Reply #18 on: <03-22-12/0623:25> »

Please show me where it explicitly says you have to pay separately for every single thing the animal is trained in, because I'm just not seeing it and, given the examples in the sidebar on page 37... which are the ONLY examples that are relevant, since they're the only examples that deal specifically with purchasing a pre-trained animal... there is absolutely no indication that this is the case.

The examples listed p38 are exactly that, examples of what is available at certain levels. You pay based on the most advanced skill the dog has, not for each individual skill.

He is trying to have multiple advanced training programs, or more specifically, ALL of THEM. A Seeing Eye Drug Sniffing, Search and Rescue, Tracking, Guard-Disable Attacker, trained-to-deal-with-gunfire superdog. That much training without augments would be insane and probably impossible. He also believes that the skills of the levels prior aren't included with teh higher levels.

Here is how I see it: If you buy seeing-eye training, your dog gets:
Instinctive: Sit, Lay Down, Crate Training, Bark on Command
Basic: Shake, Recall, Heel, Stay
Moderate:  Attack  or  Defend  on  Command,  Jump  Through
Hoop,  Follow  Obstacle  Course  (off-leash,  verbal/visual
commands), Dodge
Advanced:  Guide Dogs for Disabled

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #19 on: <03-22-12/1010:53> »
Advanced:  Guide Dogs for Disabled
Can I get a thinking brain dog?
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

CitizenJoe

• Ace Runner
« Reply #20 on: <03-22-12/1039:31> »
Here's the question.  Can you slip a skillwire system onto a dog cheaper than training?

Mäx

• Ace Runner
« Reply #21 on: <03-22-12/1104:41> »
"To calculate the trained price, multiply the base cost ("B") of the critter by the training level multiplier ("T") and then by the Willpower multiplier (W)." Running Wild, p. 35 (parentheical notes mine). That makes the forumla B*T*W, not B*T as you suggest.
Actually my formula was B*[T+T+T(etc.)]*W, while your was needlesly complex  B*T*W+ B*T*W+ B*T*W(etc.).
The end result is the same, except when you went and used a changing B instead of a static B.
"An it harm none, do what you will"

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #22 on: <03-22-12/1302:58> »
Here's the question.  Can you slip a skillwire system onto a dog cheaper than training?
Depends, do you want to risky Fluffy turning into a killing machine from cyberpsychosis?
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

rasmusnicolaj

• Omae
  • Не бойся смерти
« Reply #23 on: <03-23-12/0118:14> »
Dont worry. That only happens to other peoples dogs. My Lazzie is always cuddly...
Deplore killings made in the name of religion. Can't it just be for fun?

Red

• Omae
  • Good plans load the dice. Good stories trump them.
« Reply #24 on: <03-25-12/0922:19> »
Plus, just slot Fido a sane little Lassie Personafix. ;)
"My writing is more akin to a cook than a farmer: give me the pieces, and what comes out of it is greater than the sum of it's parts. Give me nothing, and I just stare dumbly. It's a failing, but then, it's also a living."

ShadowSea, for my players.
http://shadowsea.webnode.com/

Black

• Ace Runner
  • Rocking the Shadows since 1990
« Reply #25 on: <03-25-12/1624:55> »
Plus, just slot Fido a sane little Lassie Personafix. ;)

Love this.  Skill Wires and Personality Chips for animals!  How much fun could you have with this?  And then, is it hackable?  Could a technomancer hack the policy dogs skill wires and turn them against their KE trainers?  Dogs (or heck, Chimps) with demolition skill wires to disarm bombs?  Fluffy the Security Ninja Cat (razor blades optional extra)?  And more!
Perception molds reality
Change perception and reality will follow
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4+hb+++B?UB+IE+W+sa+m-gmM--P

JustADude

• Prime Runner
« Reply #26 on: <03-25-12/2331:58> »
Dogs (or heck, Chimps) with demolition skill wires to disarm bombs?

Possible, yeah, but I'm pretty sure it's probably cheaper, and better for PR, to use a standard Rigged drone for bomb disposal.
― Albert Einstein

― Me

Black

• Ace Runner
  • Rocking the Shadows since 1990
« Reply #27 on: <03-25-12/2334:48> »
bah! always with tech!  What happened to using animals for dangerious tasks!  >:(

Perception molds reality
Change perception and reality will follow
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4+hb+++B?UB+IE+W+sa+m-gmM--P

JustADude

• Prime Runner
« Reply #28 on: <03-25-12/2351:21> »
bah! always with tech!  What happened to using animals for dangerious tasks!  >:(

Fido became more expensive than Wall-E, that's what. ;D
― Albert Einstein

― Me

Jaffer

• Newb
« Reply #29 on: <04-01-12/0526:55> »

Isn't that what our group does, use the animal for the painful stuff?