NEWS

[SR4] & [SR5]Eyes & Ears for the Magician -newbie question

• 7 Replies

justkelly

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Newb
« on: <12-16-13/0922:52> »
How do I best gear up to enable my team to see and hear what I see and hear.  I've got glasses with image link and smarklink.  What else do I need/how do I configure?
Never ask a woman how old she is...she might tell you and then what would you do.

KraakenDazs

• Chummer
« Reply #1 on: <12-16-13/0959:29> »
Well, those glases are pretty much a good start/staple for your general shadowrunner.

For a magician, you'll want to avoid cyberware. BUT if you do, vision magnification can potentially allow a lot more ''targetting'' options, as your spells are ''Line of Sight'' (and if you dont have them, lowlight-thermo will allow you to target in the dark)

Another consideration, targetting spells (like in a regular, line of sight way)  through a visual devices incur a -2 dice pool penalty (ill try and get the exact page later, away from my book at the moment) so you might want to consider a monocle (i've yet to see a spellcasting penalty for a one eyed aim) , or hpe your gm is generous and lets you forego/aim from the sides/rims of your glasses.

Remember glasses and goggles can be outfitted with vision enhancement so those are cheap ways to get extra perception dice bonus.
Maybe, just maybe, concrete and Plasteel are MEANT to armor our planet, and not harm it, omae. Hydroponics can nourish our needy. And i assure you nuclear energy's been involved in getting you that fancy 'ware, chummer.Our mistake? Trading Wisdom for Greed. - Dögan "Babyface" Kross

Moonshine Fox

• Omae
  • Proudly serving our dragon overlords
« Reply #2 on: <12-16-13/1304:35> »
You've got a good start there. As you progress I'd recommend seeing about upgrading and getting some low-light and/or thermal added. The more you see, the more you can smack in the face with a manabolt.

Csjarrat

• Prime Runner
  • UK based GM + player
« Reply #3 on: <12-17-13/0922:39> »
well an imaging scope attached to your weapon or a camera in your helmet are good starts for the team to be able to see what you're seeing. they'd need kit with an image link to see your feed if they didn't want to stare at their commlink though.
Likewise, sticking a microphone in your helmet would work for audio, but you would obviously be quite active in the matrix with all that broadcasting going on.
your team would need image links and headphones/earbuds/cyberears to hear your streaming.
Speech
Thought
Matrix
Astral
Mentor

justkelly

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Newb
« Reply #4 on: <12-17-13/1651:12> »
Glasses [4]--image link; smartlink; vision enhancement; low-light

Micro-camera [1] --vision enhancement. Can I install the camera onto my glasses so the POV is mine, and if so, would that use one slot?

Ear buds [1]--audio  enhancement.  Maybe a silly question here, but do I also need a microphone to talk or do the ear buds allow talk & listen?

Does this look right?
Never ask a woman how old she is...she might tell you and then what would you do.

Csjarrat

• Prime Runner
  • UK based GM + player
« Reply #5 on: <12-17-13/1806:19> »
i think you can install sensors into anything that has capacity, like helmets iirc. given that the google glass has a camera in it and thats in 2013, i'd say yes, camera can take a slot in glasses, if not, stick it on a helmet. your head is going to be pointing pretty much where you are looking so that'd def work.
take a microphone, subvocal mic or microtransceiver. any of those would work and are pretty cheap, again plug them into your helmet;
Helmet (6 capacity)
-Trodes (-2 capacity)
-Camera, vision enhance (-1 capacity)
-Motion Sensor (-1 capacity)
-Microphone, spatial recognizer (-1 capacity)
-Laser range finder (-1 capacity)

tricked out sensor helmet!!, gives movement of things in 25m, their range from you, shows what you're looking at, what you're hearing and where its coming from and gives you DNI to help with weapon action efficiency and such (makes some simple actions into free actions). gives +2 to your armour as well!! :-)
Speech
Thought
Matrix
Astral
Mentor

justkelly

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Newb
« Reply #6 on: <12-17-13/1828:21> »
Any idea how many slots are available on the Urban Jumpsuit helmet.

BetaCAV

• Omae
  • 2-legged devil rat
« Reply #7 on: <12-17-13/1941:08> »
It seems to me that some minor variation of Trid Phantasm could be used by a mage to visually designate targets and/or create a magical AR overlay, that traditional cyberware could read and interpret, and it shouldn't take much more than a simple action to replicate the digital AR tags on a target from smart goggles. This does make the caster a huge target astrally, but not drastically more than any other sustained spell.
This becomes even more appealing when cast by a summoned spirit, or any dual-natured or astrally perceiving being, other than (or in addition to) the mage;
"Show us anything alive or moving in  that building; blue for uniformed guards, red for drones, green for any paracritters -- and white for any spirits or magicians, if you get the chance."