NEWS

Can a Cyber Adept Gunslinger be hackproof?

• 17 Replies

RickDeckard

• Chummer
  • It can't rain all the time.
« Reply #15 on: <06-09-20/1352:59> »
You would definitely, erhm unfortunately, be the target of every enemy attack at my table. Roleplaying or ruleplaying?

Wu Jen

• Newb
  • The only true paradises are those that are lost.
« Reply #16 on: <06-18-20/1945:50> »
I get now where Xeon was coming from, I'm still mosty 5th world. I had in my head that you could only talk to the matrix via a comlink, not that everything now talks to the matrix.

Thanks!

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #17 on: <06-19-20/0335:31> »
Instead of thinking a traditional server - client network topology where all communication goes through wireless router or access point (such as a commlink) which have network's firewall, think bluetooth (sort of). Where each device can communicate with other bluetooth enabled devices within its 10 meter handshake range. Just that handshake range in this edition is world wide. And where you can also 'pair' a few of your devices with your iphone to create some sort of 'master slave relationship'.

....then you combine this with some ideas about the benefits behind Grid Computing or Distributed Computing (google it).... and by now you might start to get a pretty good grip on why an individual device get a lot more powerful if it is allowed to be part of a grid (wireless bonuses) rather than not being allowed to take part of distributed computing (not wireless enabled = no wireless bonuses).

In a sense I think you could say that SR6 matrix work a little more like traditional server - client network. Where communication goes through the wireless router or access point (such as a commlink) which also provide the firewall for the entire network. Once you gained User or Admin access to the network then you have User or Admin access on that network. In this edition it doesn't seem to matter that much if a device is a 'master' or a 'slave' but also if a device is connected to the network 'wireless' or via a 'wire'. A network is a network and every single hacking action will be opposed by the firewall of the network no matter if you hack it 'wireless' or through a 'wire'.