NEWS

Question for the LARPers and a general Origins question

• 11 Replies

Onion Man

• Omae
  • Internet is a proper noun, capitalize every time
« on: <06-16-11/0729:32> »
How seriously do people in these LARP events take costumes?  I've never played a LARP event, not even in my D&D heyday back in the 90s, and the character I'm prepping for Origins wears a Mortimer of London Greatcoat.  I don't own a long coat, and I'm not willing to get one at the start of summer just for Origins.  I assume this isn't a problem, but I figured I'd ask first.

Also, I'm only prepping one character for at Origins.  Is that going to come back to bite me?  Should I come with 2 or more prepped and ready to go?
Description/Narrative
{Thoughts}
"Conversation"
"Voice over commlink"
Code: [Select]
Text over commlinkOrson "Pig" Fletcher

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #1 on: <06-16-11/0831:35> »
In previous Shadowrun LARPs I've seen costumes haven't been an issue.  If you've got it, great, if not just describe your character and his kit-out when you run into someone.  This year I'm -- personally! -- going out of my way to have a costume and a gear list that mesh up, but that's just because I stumbled across a few good deals and want to have some fun with it.  I don't think anyone's going to demand you walk around in a greatcoat in the middle of summer, y'know?  ;)

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« Reply #2 on: <06-16-11/1120:05> »
Well, *I* will have a big leather duster for my costu,e (Though I expect it will come off for periods, because the bugger is heavy.  It's a belongs to a buddy who, thankfully, is Troll-sized, so it actually fits me. :))

But here, let me give you an example...  We have folks who show up in full costume...  Fake ears and tusks, a mohawk, leather jacket, pacepaint, the works.  Or guys who wear full military kit with airsoft replica guns.

Then we have guys like Drew at Gen Con, who always does an interesting costume, but it's never his actual Shadowrun character (He had an interesting gargoyle costume one year, and a satyr costume the next).

Then we have the 7 Dwarves (Though only 3-4 of them usually make it to Gen Con and play in the scramble, on average).  They all have Dwarf characters for Missions, named after the 7 dwarves in Snow White.  Their costumes, however, are T-Shirts with their names on the back :)

And plenty of folks don't wear costumes at all.

We encourage costuming, we love it, and I try to take pictures to post and show off.  There's also usually at least one prize for costumes.  BUT..  No, it's not mandatory, and there will likely be plenty others there not in costume either.  So don' sweat it.  If you have something to throw together, awesome.  Otherwise, we can manage.  LARPing may be Live-Action, but's it's also still Role-PLaying.  :)

Bull

Onion Man

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <06-16-11/1959:11> »
Well, if I can find the pieces I'll be coming in costume... at the very least I'll show up in a cheap mockup of a costume, the bare minimum will be the Baron Samedi skullmask that Jolly Man will wear when he's "on the job", whether that's as a Houngan or a 'runner.
Description/Narrative
{Thoughts}
"Conversation"
"Voice over commlink"

DWC

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <06-16-11/2031:39> »
To be fair, some of the folks you think aren't in costume just play low key characters. :)

Bull

• Ace Runner
« Reply #5 on: <06-16-11/2127:13> »
Maybe a bit too low key.  At least carry a nerf gun or something ;)

DWC

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <06-16-11/2221:02> »
How about a nice Airsoft Mk43?

Bull

• Ace Runner
« Reply #7 on: <06-16-11/2324:16> »
Now we're talking!

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #8 on: <06-18-11/1008:35> »
I'm refraining from bringing weapon props cos the airports get strangely upset at that sorta thing.

-k

Onion Man

• Omae
« Reply #9 on: <06-18-11/1408:56> »
I'm refraining from bringing weapon props cos the airports get strangely upset at that sorta thing.

-k

I refrain from using airports because they've turned the enjoyable process of flying into a captive scenario where everything costs too much, everything takes too long, you can't bring much of anything of your own to alleviate the costs, and you can't even bring some company to wait with you for the "who knows how long it'll be before you actually board".

The FAA is proof the terrorists have won.  Can't even bring a gun on a plane anymore...

/gripe session over  :-X
Description/Narrative
{Thoughts}
"Conversation"
"Voice over commlink"

bigity

• Omae
« Reply #10 on: <06-18-11/2211:00> »
You can't carry them in the cabin with you but you can take weapons with you in checked baggage.  I'm not sure you could ever physically carry weapons into plane cabins without being some kind of law officer or agent.

But yea, flying is just not hardly worth the hassle when another choice is viable.

Caine Hazen

• Global Moderator
  • Omae
  • Dumpshocker Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: <06-21-11/1805:12> »

-k
If i had known sooner I would ahve had you mail em to me and I would have brough tthem out and then we coulda mailed em home...

Ok, maybe a bit expensive.  But I know where a great airsoft shop is in Columbus!
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have on your hands is a non-working cat~DNA
SRGC 0.3: SR1 SR2 SR3 SR4++ h b+++ B--- D++ UB++ IE+ RN-- fnord DSF++++ W++++ hk+ ri++ m gm++ M--(+) P FP+