NEWS

Updated titleČ : Pepper, Technoshaman, needs advice on her build (page 3) !

• 40 Replies

Welshman

• Newb
« Reply #15 on: <10-18-10/1242:52> »
I'm a fond believer in Murphy, and Murphy hates Shadowrunners.

Given that, I would suggest you put at least one point into pistols. You never know when you're gonna be caught in your meat and in a firefight in a Z-Zone. That one point in pistols can make a difference between being effective and cowering in the trash can.

The Welshman
Catalyst Freelancer

Dakka

• Omae
« Reply #16 on: <10-18-10/1250:39> »
The "standard" sensor package is found on page 105 of Arsenal (for vehicles).  It is by no means the only way to configure a vehicle/drone.  To upgrade you basically rip out all the junk sensors Wuxing sold you and replace them.  The Crimsion Samurai is a large drone so it has 8 capacity for sensors.  You buy 2 R6 cameras (600 each), upgrade those with vision ehnacements like Magnification, Thermographic, Low Light, Smartlink, etc.  a Laser Range Finder (100), Olfactory Sensor R6 (3,000), Omni directional Microphone R6 (100), Motion Sensor (50), MAD Scanner R3, and a Directional Microphone (50).  This gives you sensors with Rating 6, 6, -, 6, 6, -, 3, - which averages to 27/5 = 5.2 which would give your vehicle sensor 6.  You could omit the olfactory sensor if you didn't mind losing your sense of smell every time you jumped into the drone, just replace it with an R6 sensor or a sensor with no rating and you'll be fine.  Modifying sensors is a Hardware + Logic (8, 1 hour) extended test. 

The Sensor package rating should be used for most situations and is equal to the average rating of all the sensors in a package (rounded up).

About sniffer i just have a question : it's just to analyze traffic and is totally useless to find nodes (like for example a drone) to jump into ? That's only a "scan" result right ?

Edit : about Intuition vs Logic, i don't know on that one, as Logic is used for, like, all skills but Intuition is used for response...

Sniffer is used to intercept wireless traffic and to mess with things like camera networks.  To Intercept Traffic you have to have an icon in all nodes the traffic moves through so its not useful for finding hidden nodes, and capture wireless signal just makes a copy of the wireless signal for yourself, while it may indicate the presence of a node in hidden mode it doesn't help you find it either.  Scan is used for the Detect Hidden Node icon and will find the nodes of combat drones running in hidden mode.  Both are good programs but I'd prioritize Scan over Sniffer for hijacking enemy drones.

Logic SAYS its used for hacking skills but it lies to you.  It is a lying liar stat.  A Logic 1 troll with Hacking 4 is an equally competent hacker as one with logic 5 and Hacking 4.  The only thing logic is actually used for is Hardware, and sometimes Software, everything else is Program + Skill and leaves logic out of it.
« Last Edit: <10-18-10/1259:15> by Dakka »

baojin

• Newb
« Reply #17 on: <10-18-10/1532:23> »
AAaaahh thank u so much dakka for all the info :D

voydangel

• Omae
  • SR GM since 1990. Damn I'm old.
« Reply #18 on: <10-19-10/0044:20> »
Actually, the point he made is that you can now have Smartlink installed on goggles/glasses/contacts instead of having cyberware installed. That being said, I have to agree that you could have Smartlink installed on the sensors of the drone, but you'd only get the bonus when your riding the drone.
I would agree.

The "standard" sensor package is found on page 105 of Arsenal (for vehicles).  It is by no means the only way to configure a vehicle/drone.  To upgrade you basically rip out all the junk sensors Wuxing sold you and replace them.  The Crimsion Samurai is a large drone so it has 8 capacity for sensors.  You buy 2 R6 cameras (600 each), upgrade those with vision ehnacements like Magnification, Thermographic, Low Light, Smartlink, etc.  a Laser Range Finder (100), Olfactory Sensor R6 (3,000), Omni directional Microphone R6 (100), Motion Sensor (50), MAD Scanner R3, and a Directional Microphone (50).  This gives you sensors with Rating 6, 6, -, 6, 6, -, 3, - which averages to 27/5 = 5.2 which would give your vehicle sensor 6.  You could omit the olfactory sensor if you didn't mind losing your sense of smell every time you jumped into the drone, just replace it with an R6 sensor or a sensor with no rating and you'll be fine.  Modifying sensors is a Hardware + Logic (8, 1 hour) extended test. 
Where does it say that the sensors of a drone is the average of all of its sensors ratings? I can't seem to recall seeing that anywhere.
« Last Edit: <10-19-10/0048:12> by voydangel »
My tips for new GM's
Unless it is coming from an official source, RAI = "Rules As Imagined."
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4++SR5+++h+b+++B+D382UBIE-RN---DSF-W+m+(o++)gm+MP

baojin

• Newb
« Reply #19 on: <10-19-10/0157:12> »
It says that in the Arsenal, under vehicle modifications / Sensors. It's a little bit tedious to find at the beginning but Dakka has shown the way :D

Dakka

• Omae
« Reply #20 on: <10-19-10/0257:38> »
It's also on page 334 of SR4A.

The Sensor package rating should be used for most situations and
is equal to the average rating of all the sensors in a package (rounded
up).

voydangel

• Omae
  • SR GM since 1990. Damn I'm old.
« Reply #21 on: <10-19-10/2003:55> »
Ahh groovy. thx.
My tips for new GM's
Unless it is coming from an official source, RAI = "Rules As Imagined."
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4++SR5+++h+b+++B+D382UBIE-RN---DSF-W+m+(o++)gm+MP

baojin

• Newb
« Reply #22 on: <10-25-10/0229:26> »
hey gyuys thx a lot for the inputs.
I have just one last question about my cf list; i plan on taking all these, is it ok ?

All are at 6

spoof, exploit, stealth, armor, eccm, black hammer, scan, analyze.

I didn't take control as i should either jump in or put a sprite innit; i also don't have a lotta other cf but i'm limited to 8 anyway (+ smartli,k cf which has no ranking and the gm accepted).

Dakka

• Omae
« Reply #23 on: <10-25-10/0444:26> »
You have no way of dealing with agents/sprites/non VR users.  Black Hammer does nothing to them.  ECCM is probably overkill.  Unless you know jamming is going to be a frequent headache.

baojin

• Newb
« Reply #24 on: <10-25-10/0639:51> »
I thought that BH could destroy sprites and all too ? Should i take attack instead ?

Dakka

• Omae
« Reply #25 on: <10-25-10/0658:37> »
SR4A P 233

Against cold sim VR users, it only inflicts Stun
damage. It has no effect on programs, agents, IC, sprites, or AR users.

You could go with attack or you could simply accept that against IC and AR users you have to use Fault Sprites.  Or you could get Nuke.  Or you could take Attack instead of ECCM.

baojin

• Newb
« Reply #26 on: <10-25-10/1414:09> »
Hm but without ECCM i might get jacked outta my drones, unless i spend like 4K to get ECCM on the drones i'll jump in.

Nuke maybe would be good then, i don't think there's an attack that works on everybody anyway.

About the lack of control it's not a problem ? I figured i could thread a control form if needed, might be the same for ECCM tho.

Also, all CF are used like skill + CF right ? Like Hack + CF, so it gives me like 10 dices with skills at lvl 4 ? That ain't much :( How can hackers go above that tho ? They got lvl 6 programs max, and they add their comps as well.

Gonna be very tuff staying alive as a technomancer, specially if we consider that our adept is useless and that we got a mage and probably a troll SC. I'll be the only one doin hackin' + dronin', will take time to have the correct skillset.

Dakka

• Omae
« Reply #27 on: <10-25-10/1524:59> »
10 dice is a lot for hacking actions.  You can also TRHEAD with software to get you CF anywhere form 7 to 12 and then resist fading, giving you anywhere form 11 to 16 dice.  You can ALSO have a registered sprite aid task adding his rating to your CF going from 7-12 to 13-18 with your 4 skill is 17 to 22.  Technomancers rock like that.

baojin

• Newb
« Reply #28 on: <10-27-10/0212:28> »
Hehe then a Mancer will kinda always overpower a hacker ?

I updated my powers, swapped Armor for Shield (as it seems that Shield is added to all matrix defense tests ? Oo) and replaced ECCM by Nuke (that way i got BH against mancers and all and nuke against programs, IC, agents & nodes), i guess i'd just thread ECCM if someone tries to jam me and i put an ECCM lvl 4 on my main drone.

I'll also check with the GM cuz i created an emotitoy with a hold out pistol inside (the Elan on a concealed mount), it should fit i think but we'll see :D

baojin

• Newb
« Reply #29 on: <10-28-10/0654:26> »
Well after some inner meditation i decided to change her a lil bit.

From the mere Highschool kiddo fond of drones, she'll evolve to a full fledged technoshaman following the paragon "01".
As she's an elf, it was feeling good too.
I still keep machines sprites so i can keep on kicking ass with drones, and sleuth / paladin sprites are quite a handy addition.

I also found the "analytical mind" advantage being kinda awesome as it gives u (for 5 pts) +2 in software (yay for threading) and +2 in data search, along with a +2 for all pattern recognition and such logic tests (that's where i wonder about the cost of some qualities that are sometimes totally unbalanced between one another).
In terms of  negative qualities, i've taken the Flashbacks and Hallucinations (30 pts) as she was taken in medical labs for research after the crack 2.0 and kinda studied/tortured by one corporation (GM will tell me which one on our first game), the hallucinations go well with the technoshaman feeling as she'll have visions of the war between resonance and dissonance along with maybe messages from 01 or AIs. Finally she has the light day job (-5) just to describe the fact that she's still at univ 10h a week (she doesn't gain the 1k nuyen).

I think it's a more balanced build as i'd be the only one with a matrix able char, and being only dronomancer could limit that. With the +2 in software it gives me 12d for threading and access to cooler sprites.