NEWS

Hacker/B&E/Face

• 15 Replies

Snack Happy

• Newb
« on: <10-07-10/0115:03> »
Here is my character that you guys have helped me come up with.

Name
Collin Fairaday

Age 42
Wgt 167

Backstory

Collin has had a rough life. Ever since his wife mysteriously ditched him and his 6 year old daughter he took it pretty hard.  He took to alcohol and has spent his last 10 years working as an over the phone support tech and raising his daughter Nalene, alone.  He never made much money, so when he couldn't make rent he would rob a house or con some poor sap for a few bucks.   Seeing as robbing doesn't make enough money for him to support his kid with any sort of reliance he has decided to take up shadowrunning thinking, "How hard could it be?  They make tons of money."  Besides maybe if he's lucky he will run into that ***** and get his ten years worth of child support.

Elf (30BP) Initiative Passes 1(2)    Physical Condition 10   Stun Condition 10   

Attributes (200BP)
Body      3   Agility      4(6)   Reaction   3(5)   Strength   2
Charisma   6   Intuition      5   Logic      5   Willpower   3
Edge      3   Initiative      8

Qualities (+30BP)
Day Job +10   Lost Loved One +5   Dependant +10      Moderate Alcohol Addiction +10
First Impression      5

Skills (130BP)

Cracking Group      3(4)   First Aid(Combat Wounds)   1(2)   Perception   1
Electronics Group   3(4)   Influence Group       2      Stealth   Group   2(3)
Longarms(Shotguns)   1   Gymnastics(Parkour)   1      Dodge    2(3)

Knowledges (Free 30BP)
Local Bars   4   Matrix Chat Rooms   3   Local Security Procedures    4
Corporate Matrix Security Procedures    5      Operating Systems   5
   Languages
English      N   Japanese   3   German      3   Sioux       3

Contacts (Free 17BP)
Fixer   (3 Connection/ 4 Loyalty)   Street Doc   (3 Connection/ 3 Loyalty)
Information Broker   (2 Connection/ 2 Loyalty)

Gear & Lifestyle (250,000) (50BP)
Lined Coat; Contacts(Image Link, Vision Enhancement rating 3, Flare Compensation); Microtransceiver rating 6; 2x Fake Licenses rating 4; 2x Fake SIN rating 4; 2x Certified Credsticks(Blank); Medkit rating 6; Autopicker rating 6; Signal Scanner rating 6; Keycard Copier rating 6; 2x Survival Knife
Guns&Ammo
Defiance T250(Sawed-Off, Internal Smartlink, Sling, Silencer); 100 rounds of each(Regular, Gel, Stick-n-Shock, EX-Explosive, Sub-Sonic, and Shock Lock rounds)
Vehicles
Mercury Comet(Smuggling Compartment)

Augmentations
Move-By-Wire rating 1; Activesoft (Pilot Groundcraft rating 2); Datajack; Cyber Ears rating 3 (Audio Enhance 3, Balance Augmentation, Ear Recording, Sound Link, Sound Filter rating 4, Damper); Muscle Toner rating 2; Reflex Recorder (Stealth); Skin Pocket; Linguasoft(Mandarin Chinese rating 4); PuSHeD

Matrix Gear
Novatech Airware Commlink (Firewall 3, System 3, Response 3, Signal 3){Work Commlink}; Modified Transys Avalon Commlink (Firewall 6, System 5, Response 5, Signal 5, modified BTL/Hotsim, Biometric Lock, Customized Interface, Hardening 6, Optimization for Exploit){Hacklink}; AR Gloves; Programs (Exploit 5 w/mute, Stealth 5 w/ ergonomic, Spoof 4, Attack 4 with area 3, Nuke 3, Track 3, Defuse 5, Analyze 6 w/ optimize 1 and ergonomic, Browse 6 w/ optimize 1, Edit 6 w/ optimize 1, Command 6 w/ optimize 1, Encrypt 6 w/ optimize 1, Scan 6 w/ optimize 1, Data Bomb 3, Medic 3, Corrupt 3)

Lifestyle(Y13200)3 months
Middle Comfort, Low Entertainment, Middle Necessities, High Neighborhood, Middle Security, Friendly Neighbors, Lax Security

Remember this is my first Shadowrun character. My group consists of myself and 2 adepts one is a Chinese Monk and the other is a Pacifist Bounty Hunter in search of her father. The whole group is pretty new to Shadowrun we just wanted a break from D&D and I have wanted to play this a while so please critique him and let me know secrets so that I can make him a little better. We start Saturday. Contacts were figured for free by adding charisma to our social skills and edge if we had any other points we could throw them in with normal BPs.Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: <10-07-10/2056:25> by Snack Happy »

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1 on: <10-07-10/0142:52> »
a Good Char ,but He needs a little Finetuning :D

Hacking        4   Electronic Warfare   3   Cybercombat   2
why don't you take the Cracking Group at lvl 3 ?
 saves you 6 BP
and after one Run you Raise Hacking to 4 ingame

Hough !
Medicineman
http://english.bouletcorp.com/2013/08/02/the-long-journey/
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1V7fi5IqYw
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RYlAPjyNm8

Kontact

• Prime Runner
  • You called?
« Reply #2 on: <10-07-10/0210:25> »
A couple of things which might save you some cash.
The Fairlight Caliban + a R5 response chip costs 8,000 + 4,000 for a total of 12,000¥ with 5/5 stats upgradable to 6/6
If you get a Transys Avalon + a R5 response and signal upgrade, you will have the same stats of 5/5 upgradable to 6/6 and it costs 5,000 + 4,000 + 1,000 for a total of 10,000¥.

Also, consider getting a Rating 6 Signal scanner.  It works the same as a R6 Sniffer program, but can't be used on wired networks.  Since most stuff you need the Sniffer for is wi-fi, it's really a steal at 150¥

Things you might benefit from:  well, there's the Attention Coprocessor.  Pretty standard ware for anyone who isn't looking to keep their essence up.  .3 essence and 9,000¥ for +3 dice on perception checks.  Pretty sweet.

Also, p196 of Unwired has a section on modifying your comlink.  One of those options should help you whether you use AR or VR, and that's Program Optimization.  You can get +1 to any one program's dice pool with optimization.

If you're going to work in VR, then there are Response increasing mods, like Customized Interface and the Response Enhancers.  They can get your Response high enough to duck most ICe or Spiders you run into, and, more importantly, to strike first when combat seems inevitable.
« Last Edit: <10-07-10/0249:13> by Kontact »

Snack Happy

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <10-07-10/0235:46> »
What would you guys recommend with extra points and money I think I had 125Y after I bought everything

Kontact

• Prime Runner
  • You called?
« Reply #4 on: <10-07-10/0247:28> »
What would you guys recommend with extra points and money I think I had 125Y after I bought everything

A hit of Overdrive costs 150¥ and +1 to Logic-linked skills means +1 to hacking actions.  Not too many things can aid hacking skill tests, since the program rating fills in for your Logic score, so logic boosters don't help you hack.  However things that add to logic linked skills, like the Encephalon headware, the PuSHeD gene treatment, Neocortical Neural Amplifier Nanites, and, naturally, Overdrive, all help you hack. 

Overdrive (X-cyte)
Duration: (10 – Body) hours, minimum 1 hour
Effect: +1 Reaction, +1 to all Logic-linked skills
From the steamy jungle pharmacopoeia of Latin America
comes a central nervous stimulant with sizzle. At the end of this
drug’s duration, users suffer 8S damage (unresisted). Aside from
a few brain damaged hacker junkies who complain that overdrive
causes nosebleeds, most users of the so-called “hacker drug” report
few side effects other than a pleasant tingling across the forebrain
and the sudden crash. Certain long-term users who seem more
profoundly affected by overdrive have exhibited signs of psychosis,
but the true long-term eff ects of the drug are unknown.

As a final thought, you have a lot of Logic, but not many skills which use your Logic stat.  Software and hardware both use Logic, but all of the others rely on program ratings.  Perhaps pick up First Aid?  If you get the Hacking 3 skill group instead of splitting it up, you can grab First Aid and a specialization.

Snack Happy

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <10-07-10/0905:07> »
I made the skill changes but should I take off cerebral boosters and look into
[/quote]
 However things that add to logic linked skills, like the Encephalon headware, the PuSHeD gene treatment, Neocortical Neural Amplifier Nanites, and, naturally, Overdrive, all help you hack. 
[/quote]
Or should I look into more stuff like a maglock sequencer and stuff for B&E.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #6 on: <10-07-10/0918:03> »
Since the B&E is more along the character's backstory, I'd go with that. It doesn't sound much like he'd have anything in his backstory that would explain the Encephalon, Gene treatment or Nanites. Besides, these could be added later as he starts 'running and needs to upgrade. ;)

Kontact

• Prime Runner
  • You called?
« Reply #7 on: <10-07-10/0919:59> »
PuSHeD is only .1 Essence and 15,000¥  
Definitely the cheapest option all around.

Also, who wants to spend a month in a gene tank later in game?

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #8 on: <10-07-10/1008:29> »
Yes, it's cheap on Essence and nuyen. But it doesn't fit his STORY. He's a single dad that works in a call center and occasionally breaks into a house or scams an old lady. If he had 15,000¥ to spend on PuSHeD at some point in this backstory, he'd have spent it on better Lifestyle for his daughter, IMO.

Snack Happy

• Newb
« Reply #9 on: <10-07-10/1018:35> »
Where is the signal Sniffer I can't find it

Snack Happy

• Newb
« Reply #10 on: <10-07-10/1847:02> »
Well I found the scanner I was just blind/retarded. So the changes I made to the gear I took off cerebral booster 2 and the sniffer program. I switched OS for the hacking link. I grabbed biometric lock, custom interface, hardening 6, and optimization for exploit to better pimp my comm. I swapped up vehicles with some of the extra cash and added a smuggling compartment since I have quite a bit of not so legal stuff. Last but not least I bought one dose of overdrive because just maybe I need it. I only went five credits over. So what do you guys think does he seem like a pretty well rounded Shadowrun character, and do you think with the couple melee adept beasts that he will do pretty good as in did he cover enough bases to help their lack of well anything but combat? BTW Kontact, Medicineman, and FastJack thank you guys for helping me build him and understand the matrix portion a bit better.
« Last Edit: <10-07-10/1853:15> by Snack Happy »

Kontact

• Prime Runner
  • You called?
« Reply #11 on: <10-08-10/0554:05> »
Yes, it's cheap on Essence and nuyen. But it doesn't fit his STORY. He's a single dad that works in a call center and occasionally breaks into a house or scams an old lady. If he had 15,000¥ to spend on PuSHeD at some point in this backstory, he'd have spent it on better Lifestyle for his daughter, IMO.

Well, yeah, I do get your point, but Gene treatments have been around for some time as of the 2070s.  Remember the Genetic Heritage quality assumes that your character inherited a gene treatment from their parents.   That gives even a broke-ass guy the potential to have gotten the treatment as part of some long-ago thing like.  "He was born into a middle-management corp family.  He received gene treatment as a child.  His father was ruined when ____ happened.  His mother left.  Bad things happened and he ended up sinless after the crash of 63."  Besides, the same stuff could be said for any cultured bioware as well, as far as expense and investment of time.

Anyway, it's a good way for the guy to grow later.  It's nice to have things to look forward to.  :)

Glyph

• Ace Runner
« Reply #12 on: <10-10-10/1748:19> »
The same rationale that the character wouldn't have PuSHeD would also put the kibosh on the move-by-wire, which is more expensive and has a higher availability.

But if you don't want to re-do your entire character, consider this.  Resources is not a big pile of money.  It represents everything that the character has accumulated up to this point in time.  He didn't necessarily plunk down 50,000 nuyen for someone to stick some cyberware in him.  It could have been payment received in other than cash (corporations and the bigger criminal syndicates will have facilities, and doctors who are already on call.  They have economies of scale, so sometimes giving a runner 'ware instead of money will be comparatively cheaper for them).

Kontact

• Prime Runner
  • You called?
« Reply #13 on: <10-11-10/0214:24> »
Yeah, and ware is a setting thing as well.  If you're playing a game where it's a rare thing to get some chrome, then that's one thing, but in the source books, they have always had a lot of unrealistic things.  Like there's the Body Mall in lower Redmond near the Spider's turf.  It's an old hospital that's been turned into chopshop central, a flea market of illegal surgeons waiting to slap augmentations into whatever creeps walk in with the right cred.

And even that isn't terribly unrealistic within a setting that allows gunshot wounds to be healed in a matter of seconds by a skilled user with a standard, nano-equipped medkit.  Even today I have biologist friends who are trying to get into Biohacking.

Snack Happy

• Newb
« Reply #14 on: <10-16-10/2257:41> »
I would like to thak you guys for helping me build this guy because the more I find out about hacking the cooler he becomes. In todays game I hacked a vehicle and ran someone over with it which took out two targets we had to kill seeing as it was drove through said guy and into a supermarket wall.