NEWS

[SR6] Skill learning time

• 22 Replies

Vareth

• Newb
« on: <11-18-20/1523:33> »
Hi chummers!

We have Bob who wants to learn Close Combat skill rank 5 -> 6. From CRB p.68 we know that it takes 30 karma and 6 months. We also can read:
Given eight hours for sleep and four hours for miscellaneous life activities, that leaves twelve hours, and therefore three different advancements that can be worked on simultaneously.
So can Bob focus only on Close Combat and learn it 3x faster that is in 2 months? Or maybe intention was you can't learn faster but you can work on 3 different things?

Now let's add lots of nuyen and let's hire private instructor. From CRB p.96 we can read:
Influence is also used for Instruction tests, which can shorten the time it takes to learn new skills (see p. 68). Instructors must have 4 or more ranks in the skill they want to teach. The instructor makes an Influence + Charisma test, which reduces the time to learn a skill by 1 day per net hit.
So a private instructor with dice pool 8 can buy 2 hits and reduce the time to learn new skill by 2 days.
Can private instructor (or Tutorsoft) do the test every day in effect reducig time to learn new skill 3 times?

If answer for both questions above is yes (focus only on one skill and instructor testing every day) can we cut 6 monts to 20 days (180 days / 3 for focus = 60 days / 3 for instructor = 20 days)?

Beta

• Ace Runner
  • SR1 player, SR5 GM@FtF & player@PbP
« Reply #1 on: <11-18-20/1641:34> »
That learning time reduction is really out of proportion with the training times, isn't it?  Saving a few days off of six months?  I'll save my nuyen thanks!

Vareth

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <11-18-20/1704:30> »
That learning time reduction is really out of proportion with the training times, isn't it?  Saving a few days off of six months?  I'll save my nuyen thanks!
If you could repeat learning test every day then it would be very neat. You would get 2-4 times time reduction.

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <11-18-20/1708:51> »

personally, I concur.  The suggested training times are, imo, much too high.  But since they're only "suggested", feel free to alter them to suit your campaign.

Take SRM for example: the entire Seattle storyline is supposed to take place inside a single in-game year, so spending 6 months to increase a skill is out of the question.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Sir Ludwig

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Chummer
« Reply #4 on: <11-18-20/2256:18> »
I concur with SSDR, it's a suggestion. 

IMO: If a character has been using a still a lot in the game then I shave time off and do what sounds "right".  It’s about having fun and what works for your group.

Best,
SL
Si vis pacem, para bellum

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <11-18-20/2358:20> »
I concur with SSDR, it's a suggestion. 

IMO: If a character has been using a still a lot in the game then I shave time off and do what sounds "right".  It’s about having fun and what works for your group.

Best,
SL

There are three metacurrencies in Shadowrun character development:  Nuyen, Karma, and Time (perhaps might also consider Essence a 4th metacurrency...)  Nuyen and Karma are fairly hard-coded costs, but the time it takes to do a given feature of development is by design tailorable to the needs of your campaign.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Darksithmstr

• Newb
  • Fraggin' A
« Reply #6 on: <11-19-20/0016:55> »
With most RPGs your stats increase between missions or after a rest.  As a GM I only allow one stat increase between missions or days, and they can only choose a stat they used during mission they finished, hence learning through doing.
See u in the Matrix!

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #7 on: <11-19-20/0520:13> »
I'd say that no, you can't hyperfocus on one training to wrap it up faster.

As for Instruction: Kinda sounds like a mistake copy-paste from SR5, not sure if anyone mentioned it for possible errata yet. I'd change it to either half a week or a full week (with a minimum training time of a week). That or you roll and pay for every week.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #8 on: <11-19-20/1340:24> »
Yeah... well there are still some inconsistency here I guess...

Learning spells, for example, is a base time of 12 days (8 hours per day rather than 4 days per day as it is for skills) divided by hits from a sorcery+intuition test where the instruction test add hits to the dice pool (here it act as a team work test rather than reducing training time directly).

Also.... in the suggested training time (advancement cost) table says 7 days per spell.

But is this really something to debate around? You finish the mission. You get karma. You spend karma. You have the skill (or spell) when the next mission start. Unless you are doing SRM, I see no purpose spend time and effort trying to bookkeep how many days it take. Shrug.

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #9 on: <11-19-20/1421:48> »
But is this really something to debate around? You finish the mission. You get karma. You spend karma. You have the skill (or spell) when the next mission start. Unless you are doing SRM, I see no purpose spend time and effort trying to bookkeep how many days it take. Shrug.

I can see a role for it, in the right kind of campaign.  A gritty one.

A game where you have to scrounge for jobs, and you have to balance whether you can afford to continue to take time off for training or if you HAVE to get out there and earn some nuyen before the 1st of the month.

Of course in a game where job offers are assured (for example, SRM) it's less critical to worry about how much time has passed since your last payday.

Sir Ludwig

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Chummer
« Reply #10 on: <11-19-20/2152:47> »
SSDR: You stated it better than I. 

Our current campaign/story arch is taking place in 2-3 months of in-game time.  Primarily due to a cool character idea from one of my new players.  So, each game takes place about every in-game week.  Some of the training time frames don’t fit well into that time frame so I as a GM hadn’t changed them.   

Vareth, welcome to the boards.

I think SSDR’s quote from Katanarchist sums it up.  I come from a philosophy of your telling a story and everyone is there to have fun. 
Best,
SL
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Vareth

• Newb
« Reply #11 on: <11-20-20/1054:57> »
We're playing in "West Marchies" sandbox style with random time between adventures/missions so we need clear training time rules as there are many game masters.

So far we agreed that you can train 3 things at one time but you can't "power level" one thing 3 times faster.
Exceptions are:
1) Spells take 2 "slots" for training (by RAW they take 8h/day)
2) Initiations take full day becouse they are extended test 1 month
3) Submersion is totally odd one. We treated it just like Initiation (despite not beeing described) with training time in weeks not in monts (as in CRB p.68)

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #12 on: <11-21-20/1101:03> »

That is how I'd run it.  I can see campaigns that role-play the downtime/training time of things more wanting some guidelines. In which case totally ignore what's in the book it would be a bad suggestion for virtually every campaign in existence, even if you are going for realistic. Realistic there would be different training times for each skill/attribute, it wouldn't have a linear increase in time based on level etc.  In most campaigns I'd say
1.  Never set up things so you can't break form the freely, I don't care if its a initiation ritual or hitting the gym. You don't want to make a player have to choose between doing his training or going on the run.
2. Make sure it doesn't take longer than the speed at which you earn karma, by that I mean under the current guideline it may take 12 months and 30 karma to increase a attribute, maybe they spend another 60 doing other things. If you are earning over 90 karma in that 12 months, you are constantly piling up karma with no way to spend it. If you give as few karma as the karma section suggests, then maybe slow advancement works.

As an aside to this discussion, the karma award section advice for the GM seems really really bad to me. 1-6 being the new karma award system, and the number to remember is 5, because everything works on multiple of 5? how many runs do you want your players to go on before they can improve their firearms by 1. Sure mages are like hey woo a new spell, everyone else after buying a specialization or two is just waiting for a ton of runs to be able to do anything. Are the new missions following those guidelines?

I mean lets assume I run a game for a year and have 45 sessions, roughly once a week we miss a few weeks for holidays etc. average karma seems to be 3.5ish based on the descriptions. So 157.5 over the year of near constant weekly gaming. So 31.5 attribute points of advancement.  Sounds like a lot but bumping your firearms from 3 to 4 then to 5 cost 9 of that bumping some of those dump stats to survivable levels took another 6, getting a core skill to 7, take another 7, getting your 2nd core skill to 6 takes another 6 a specialization or 2 and you are pretty much out. So after a year of near constant gaming you got a little bit better in your core and fleshed your character out a smidgen. And I'm going to guess most people don't get to play that often. Heck many campaigns don't go this long, I'd suggest most don't. It shouldn't be as dramatic as D&D 5 e level 1-20 in 6 months stuff, but a couple dice in your main is barely noticeable, you will probably notice the lack of the dump stat at least.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #13 on: <11-21-20/1217:48> »
the karma award section advice for the GM seems really really bad to me.
Have you read the karma award section advice for GM in SR5...?

1-6 being the new karma award system...
Per game session, plus a bonus in the session where you complete the run.

In SR5 the advice was that you typically didn't get any karma at all until the end of the run.

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #14 on: <11-21-20/1235:13> »
the karma award section advice for the GM seems really really bad to me.
Have you read the karma award section advice for GM in SR5...?

1-6 being the new karma award system...
Per game session, plus a bonus in the session where you complete the run.

In SR5 the advice was that you typically didn't get any karma at all until the end of the run.

SR5 screwed up in a lot of areas as well.