NEWS

More Magic Questions....

• 11 Replies

Zilfer

• Ace Runner
« on: <11-28-11/1458:05> »
Had a question, I'm pretty sure I had this right but just in case I wanted to see what was supposed to be done if not.

Are sustained spells LOS? One of my players was trying to argue from the description of the spell and the range "Touch" that it would stay in effect even if they left his sight. (He was trying to give the sniper on the roof increased Reflexes before they went into a building.) Told him if he leaves line of sight you don't know where to "sustain" or "Send" the magical energy to keep the spell going. So after a brief argument we continued on from there. Wanted to know this is correct even if it doesn't say LOS in the range part of the spell if it's a Sustained spell then it is line of sight to uphold the effects, if not I'll have to appologize to my player. It's ok tho i've done that a few times. :P

Second one i forgot, i'll edit this post if i think of it!!!!
Having access to Ares Technology isn't so bad, being in a room that's connected to the 'trix with holographic display throughout the whole room isn't bad either. Food, drinks whenever you want it. Over all not bad, but being unable to leave and with a Female Dragon? No Thanks! ~The Captive Man

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #1 on: <11-28-11/1602:24> »
From the FAQ:

Quote from: FAQ
Do you need to maintain line of sight (or touch, with Touch range spells) to sustain a spell? What about Permanent spells?

A spell requires a magical link (touch, sight, material link, symbolic link, etc.) to cast. There is, however, no requirement for the magician to maintain touch or line-of-sight while maintaining the spell, as the link between caster and spell is already in effect. By the same principle, you do not need to maintain touch or line of sight when casting a Permanent spell; the spell must simply be maintained until the spell’s effects become permanent.

Zilfer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <11-28-11/1717:58> »
Alright thanks for clearing that one up Fast.

Heh.... no pun intended. +1 to fastjack!

Edit: His 444th Karma!
Having access to Ares Technology isn't so bad, being in a room that's connected to the 'trix with holographic display throughout the whole room isn't bad either. Food, drinks whenever you want it. Over all not bad, but being unable to leave and with a Female Dragon? No Thanks! ~The Captive Man

Mason

• Ace Runner
  • You don't know as many spells as I do, omae!
« Reply #3 on: <11-28-11/1741:50> »
Also, the fluff reason is that magical link to the target is a line of mana between you and the target. you channel in the mana and send it down the magical link to the target. Once a link is ESTABLISHED, by LOS or touch or ritual or whatever, the spell has no further targeting requirements.

Zilfer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #4 on: <11-28-11/1801:34> »
Also, the fluff reason is that magical link to the target is a line of mana between you and the target. you channel in the mana and send it down the magical link to the target. Once a link is ESTABLISHED, by LOS or touch or ritual or whatever, the spell has no further targeting requirements.

I'm going to assume you can put these sustained spells on Foci of yours so you don't have to worry about it either. :D

Mason

• Ace Runner
  • You don't know as many spells as I do, omae!
« Reply #5 on: <11-28-11/1808:22> »

I'm going to assume you can put these sustained spells on Foci of yours so you don't have to worry about it either. :D

Yes. That is the only purpose of sustaining foci, after all.

Zilfer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #6 on: <11-28-11/1821:25> »

Yes. That is the only purpose of sustaining foci, after all.

Well my best friend will be happy to know he can use it next time in game.... all 3 of his sustaining foci. XD

Walks Through Walls

• Ace Runner
« Reply #7 on: <11-28-11/2007:41> »
Remember that in 4th edition sustaining foci have to been for a particular type of magic ie health,combat, detection etc just like any other focus.
"Walking through walls isn't tough..... if you know where the doors are."
"It's not being seen that is the trick."

Walks Through Walls

Zilfer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #8 on: <11-29-11/1200:14> »
Remember that in 4th edition sustaining foci have to been for a particular type of magic ie health,combat, detection etc just like any other focus.

He's got three F3 Health Foci bonded.... i'm pretty sure for what he wants to do with them he's fine in that area. xD

Lethe

• Omae
  • Every man dies. Not every man really lives.
« Reply #9 on: <12-19-11/1014:38> »
He's got three F3 Health Foci bonded.... i'm pretty sure for what he wants to do with them he's fine in that area. xD

I'm curious why he chose Force 3 Foci, when he intends to use it for the Increase Reflexes spell.
Force 3 Foci can only hold Force 3 Spells, which can only use 3 hits rolled in the spellcasting test.
So he can only use it for a +2  Init / IP increase and not for the +3 bonus.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #10 on: <12-19-11/1357:27> »

I'm curious why he chose Force 3 Foci, when he intends to use it for the Increase Reflexes spell.
Force 3 Foci can only hold Force 3 Spells, which can only use 3 hits rolled in the spellcasting test.
So he can only use it for a +2  Init / IP increase and not for the +3 bonus.
Most likely because F3 is the highest level one you can get at chargen without taking Restricted Gear, and Magicians already bleed BP worse than an unarmored mundane human who lost an argument with a Panther XXL.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #11 on: <12-19-11/1747:50> »
Most likely because F3 is the highest level one you can get at chargen without taking Restricted Gear, and Magicians already bleed BP worse than an unarmored mundane human who lost an argument with a Panther XXL.

I find it vaguely amusing just how many qualifiers you had to throw onto that statement. ;D
« Last Edit: <12-19-11/1753:06> by JustADude »
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me