NEWS

AR and VR o.O'

• 41 Replies

Phylos Fett

• Omae
  • Kind-of A Freelancer...
« Reply #30 on: <10-04-11/0238:04> »
when runners meet in a bar/restaurant, you can't order without AR. there's no printed menu anymore. And don't bother asking the grumpy troll waitress.

That would depend on the bar/restaurant, IMNSHO. There'd be plenty of places where you could pay to have a snooty waiter look down his nose at you for mispronouncing the dishes, or where a one-eyed barman would growl "what'llbe?" at you.

One eyed? And i'll give him four arms.

With at least one of them obviously cyber.  ;)

of course the "he" is actually a "she" <.< but don't tell the players that.

It'll be dark. They might not even notice. Until later... ;)

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #31 on: <10-04-11/1127:56> »
What happens in Bangkok...
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

kirk

• Omae
« Reply #32 on: <10-04-11/1151:55> »
What happens in Bangkok...
... stays with Yul Brenner.

Phylos Fett

• Omae
  • Kind-of A Freelancer...
« Reply #33 on: <10-04-11/1820:13> »
Thanks - now I know what song I'll be humming all day...

kirk

• Omae
« Reply #34 on: <10-04-11/1911:55> »
The embassy lament?
A model of decorum and tranquility?
Merano?

(Chess, from which Bangkok comes, is still one of my favorite musical collections to listen to.)

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #35 on: <10-04-11/2056:13> »
It's been stuck in my head since I got "99 Bottles".

It was either that or "99 Bottles of Yakuza on the wall"...  And I really don't want to take one down and pass it around...
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Joush

• Omae
« Reply #36 on: <10-04-11/2357:38> »
Oh, and I did not think of this until I was thinking of holoween games for October, but for a truly great example of AR you should see Dead Space 1 & 2. Interfaces for devices and useful information are displayed as two dimensional objects hanging in space visible due to the system the character wares, with the ability to display a translucent interface window to handle things like maps and keeping track of email and messages.

ARC

• Omae
« Reply #37 on: <10-05-11/0005:22> »
Oh, and I did not think of this until I was thinking of holoween games for October, but for a truly great example of AR you should see Dead Space 1 & 2. Interfaces for devices and useful information are displayed as two dimensional objects hanging in space visible due to the system the character wares, with the ability to display a translucent interface window to handle things like maps and keeping track of email and messages.

Another one would be in Mass Effect.  The Omni Tool and VI interfaces are a perfect example of AR.
Living the Electronic Dream

Kobold

• Newb
« Reply #38 on: <10-05-11/0943:36> »
Does a character notice external AR-Objects while his Comlink is in Hidden Mode? So do you get Spam while in Hidden Mode?

Zilfer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #39 on: <10-05-11/1121:02> »
Does a character notice external AR-Objects while his Comlink is in Hidden Mode? So do you get Spam while in Hidden Mode?

Interesting question. I'd like to know as well.
Having access to Ares Technology isn't so bad, being in a room that's connected to the 'trix with holographic display throughout the whole room isn't bad either. Food, drinks whenever you want it. Over all not bad, but being unable to leave and with a Female Dragon? No Thanks! ~The Captive Man

rasmusnicolaj

• Omae
  • Не бойся смерти
« Reply #40 on: <10-05-11/1529:03> »
I don't think so - that should be one of the advantages of running hidden. You are not detected and therefore not targeted by spam.

On the other hand you must on some level be aware on what is going on around you. The simple commlink you use for public mode are of no interest to you but you have to monitor it because when somebody tries to contact that commlink and doesn't get a respons it could raise suspisions.

Rasmus
Deplore killings made in the name of religion. Can't it just be for fun?

Joush

• Omae
« Reply #41 on: <10-05-11/1911:50> »

Many ARO are generated by simple passive RFID tags. The tag simply holds data that holds the information for, say, a animated gang tag, a advertisement, a building directory or a guide to local businesses.

To view these, you don't need to send out any transmissions and break hidden mode. It just transmits it's simple amount of data all the time. By the same token, spam ARO send out signals to everyone in range trying to say "I'm a legit ARO the user has asked to see/hear/feel" and tries to get past the spam filters on peoples link. Bolth of these are one-way transmissions.

So you can't interact with most AROs when in hidden mode, and won't get offered them. You can view many ARO however, as they are broadcast openly.
« Last Edit: <10-06-11/0547:06> by Joush »