NEWS

Need help with a decker/drone rigger combo.

• 9 Replies

Tirwalker

• Newb
« on: <11-06-14/2024:51> »
So, I have been futzing around with a rigger build, and I find that I am (to my surprise) very interested in the Matrix.  I have not tired a build yet, but what is the reality of building a character who is primarily a decker but also has the skills and gear for some non-jumped in drone rigging? Is there enough skill points/new yet for a starting character to pull this off?  Or do you just end up sucking at both?   I am going to fire up Chummer5 and see what I can come up with, but for anyone who has gone this road before any advice?

Imveros

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1 on: <11-06-14/2029:06> »
honestly all an off rigger needs is money for drones. If you are willing to downgrade your deck or your cyber you could very easily be an off rigger. It's when you jump in that you need skills and special equipment.
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

"normal speech" thought "Matrix"   whisper "Subvocal" "Foreign Language"

8-bit

« Reply #2 on: <11-06-14/2034:41> »
If you aren't going to jump in, you literally need 2 skills. Electronic Warfare and Computer. Bingo, done. It's all just money at that point. You can either slave your drones to your deck (recommended) or pick up an RCC. Just note that you cannot use both your RCC and your deck at the same time. You may need to downgrade your deck, depending on what type of drones you are going for, but other than that, it's pretty easy. They overlap in skills.

If you buy Autosofts for everything, you don't need to have Gunnery or any of the Pilot skills. Pick up a 1/6 Mechanic Contact, and repairs are done for you.

Tirwalker

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <11-06-14/2046:57> »
Thanks for the feedback.  If going human thinking A Resources B Skills C Attributes D Meta and E Magic.  Sound reasonable?

8-bit

« Reply #4 on: <11-06-14/2111:43> »
That's fine. You could optionally go Meta C and Attributes D if you want a Dwarf, but the Edge is probably better anyway.

Whiskeyjack

• Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <11-06-14/2254:58> »
The question is whether it's easier to get by with a cheaper deck or cheaper RCC. I'm inclined to say deck, since a better RCC = better Sharing/Noise Reduction and primarily AR in-person hacking isn't near as deck-intensive as VR remote hacking.

Downside there is if you're hacking in AR you definitely want some meatspace initiative bonuses and you're already going to be strapped for cash.
Playability > verisimilitude.

Csjarrat

• Prime Runner
  • UK based GM + player
« Reply #6 on: <11-07-14/1012:19> »
RCCs are cheaper and virtual environment can be run on it for an extra autosoft slot. get the better deck at chargen because it will be months of play before you save up enough to get a better one
Speech
Thought
Matrix
Astral
Mentor

Whiskeyjack

• Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <11-07-14/1144:59> »
RCCs are cheaper and virtual environment can be run on it for an extra autosoft slot. get the better deck at chargen because it will be months of play before you save up enough to get a better one
Yeah I just don't know if it's realllllly worth the huge additional cost for the incremental increase between the best and 2nd best decks at chargen. And I really would like to know whether AR host-bypassing cable-hacking can be done often enough  that a cheaper deck isn't the end of the world.
Playability > verisimilitude.

8-bit

« Reply #8 on: <11-07-14/1148:50> »
Yeah I just don't know if it's realllllly worth the huge additional cost for the incremental increase between the best and 2nd best decks at chargen. And I really would like to know whether AR host-bypassing cable-hacking can be done often enough  that a cheaper deck isn't the end of the world.

Most people go the 2nd best deck anyway, because that way you can fit Cerebral Boosters and other 'ware into your build.

Csjarrat

• Prime Runner
  • UK based GM + player
« Reply #9 on: <11-07-14/1251:30> »
Yeah, you can def get by with a cheaper deck, but if you get the best one at chargen, you can then spend your earnings on what you want without having to feel hamstrung to save up for the biggy.
The differences aren't trivial tbh, you get an extra 3 points of deck attributes, an extra pip of device rating and an extra program slot on the CIY.
Its worth the investment, but it does represent a huge saving and you'll probably have to use the cheaper deck if you want to get a fairly decent size combat drone fleet.
It really comes down to whether you want your decker/rigger to be more decker>rigger or decker<rigger in game terms.
Speech
Thought
Matrix
Astral
Mentor