NEWS

Tangled Currents - Grunt

• 298 Replies

Mercy Merchant

• Prime Runner
« on: <03-24-16/0951:49> »
Tuesday, 5 June  0630, Touristville

You wake to the patter of rain against the window.  Again.  This makes what.......eight days in a row?  That is a lot even for Seattle.  And it means walking to the bus stop two blocks away to get to the interview that Wallas had tipped your way.  "You are about the best groomed trog I know, Pete (He always calls you Pete).  But jobs are hard to find for even a well groomed trog.  Some sort of bodyguard work if you are up for it.  Pay is negotiable, but supposed to be good."  That and an address downtown are all you have.  At least it is not Barrens work this time.
"Speech"  *Thought*  <Matrix>

PRabel

• Chummer
« Reply #1 on: <03-24-16/1208:33> »
"I should really get a new truck!"
Grunt says to himself as he gets out of bed and begins his usual wake-up routine.
*Shame it was blown-up a month ago, that Gopher was a tough old piece of junk.*
Some people need a soykof to get ready for the day ahead, but Grunt is a bit different. A few sets of  push-ups, pull-ups and jump-rope, followed by a few rounds on the punching bag is all he needs. For him it's the best way to start his day.
When he is finished with that, he eats some breakfast and get ready for the meeting. He gets his armored jacket on and conceals his trusty Ares Predator and an extra clip, loaded with Stick-n-Shock rounds under it.
As he walks towards the bus stop, he pulls his hood on his head to ward off some of the rain. 
*I should really get a new truck!*

Mercy Merchant

• Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <03-25-16/0043:39> »
Yeah, the hood and the rain bit does not work very well.  You are pretty wet by the time the bus comes by your stop, late again, as usual.  If it is any satisfaction at all, there are several other people getting wet at the bus stop.  The driver opens the door to some fairly irate customers but pretends to not hear them.  You have noticed before how this particular driver does not seem willing to go out of his way to be on time at any of his stops.  After two transfers, you get off at your stop, still about a block away from your destination.  The good news is that the rain has stopped and you make your way to the Broadshire Hotel.  You had planned on the bus to be late and are still thirty minutes early for the appointment.  The sun emerges from the clouds just as you approach the doorman at the front of the hotel.  An good omen perhaps?

That thought is dashed as the man at the door gives you an appraising eye and apparently finds something wrong with you.  Or the appearance of your clothes.  Or your tusks.  Or anything.  He asks you your business in the supercilious tone that only a trained doorman can have.  You provide the interview number you were provided and he reluctantly allows you to enter his building.  The very pretty girl at the information booth in the center of the lobby is much nicer.  She asks how she can help you and once you give your interview number, she picks up a phone and talks into it.  Hanging up, she smiles and points, telling you to please go to the bank of elevators over there and take one to the seventh floor where you will be met by Mister Collins.  The elevator is silent and quick, depositing you on the seventh floor almost as soon as the doors close.  A male Dwarf is standing in front of you as the elevator door opens.  He reaches out a hand and says, “Roger Collins.  You are almost late.  Try not to make a habit of that if you get the job.  Please follow me.”

Collins walks with a decided limp in his right leg as he leads you to room 712.  A human woman in the uniform of the hotel staff comes out of room 715 with a cart as you approach the door.  She seems a bit impatient as waits for you and Collins to pass.  Suddenly, your trained senses pick out three anomalies:  First, the woman’s shoes are…………..wrong.  You are not sure how you know this, but you do.  Second, although well covered, the woman has a distinct beard line.  Third, you are certain that you can detect a concealed shoulder rig under the uniform.

PRabel

• Chummer
« Reply #3 on: <03-25-16/0643:38> »
*Late, as always* He thinks as gets on the bus. *I hate this jerk!*
*At least the weather is getting better, I hope it lasts.*
He is not surprised, when the doorman stops him. *I bet if I was a damn daisy-eater, he would let me in without a question. These guys can send you to hell in such a manner, that you are eager to be on your way...a useful talent.*

He knows it's part of the girls job to smile, but it is a nice change after the doorman. He thanks her for the help and gets to the elevator. When the elevator stops and the dwarf greets him, he grabs his hand and says:
"Peter Simmons. Of course, it won't happen." He takes notice of the limping as they walk to the room, but then he sees the women.
*Something is a bit odd about her...her shoes somehow don't fit. Why does she has a bird line and since when do hotel staff carry a...?
Oh great, it seems this job has already started!*
He adjust his jacket, so he can more easily grabs his gun, if he needs to use it. When they reach the "women", he grabs her hand firmly and says: "You should shave more often, if you want to act as a woman."  Then he proceeds to subdue her. He doesn't want to take any chances.

Mercy Merchant

• Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <03-25-16/0925:18> »
Tuesday, 5 June  0903  Broadshire Hotel

The man struggles to free her gun hand but fails, going to the ground as you subdue him.  The Dwarf limps over to you.  "Very good, Mister Simmons.  You may let the poor man up.  Thank you, Mister Toomey, you may return to your room."  As you relax your hold, the man pulls her arm free and stands, muttering, "You aren't paying me enough for this." 

To which the Dwarf responds, "It is the agreed upon price.  And this might be the last time.  Please return to your room and wait."

The man mumbles but grabs the cart and goes back to room 715.  The halfer looks at you.  "That was well done, Mister Simmons.  Measured force, non-leathal.  Please follow me."  He continues on into room 712, which is actually a suite.  You enter into a living room.  There are three doors from this room, all closed.  You hear the sound of a toilet flushing from the nearest one.  A sliding glass door in the far wall opens onto a small deck.  A green shrub of some kind is in a large urn on the deck.  Two human males dressed in nice suits are standing and talking to a young human woman who is taking notes on a pad.  A pretty Keeb woman in a green pantsuit is sitting on one of the two couches, idly thumbing through a magazine.  It appears to be last month's copy of Vogue, the one with the three naked women on the cover.  Everyone looks up as you enter the room, but only the Elf does not go back to what they were doing.  She looks at you with some interest.  Roger Collins nods at the two men as he passes them, motioning for you to follow him as he heads to one of the closed doors.  Inside is a bedroom that has been turned into a small office.  He takes a seat behind a desk and points to a chair.  "As I said, that was well done.  Please sit and let's get started.  Can you describe for me the room we just came through?  In detail, please."

PRabel

• Chummer
« Reply #5 on: <03-25-16/1801:18> »
When the dwarf says, he slowly lets the man go. *A test. I should have expected that. It is understandle for a position like this. I wonder how many times this man got kicked or punched in the face as part of this test.*
When they enter the room, he looks around and nod approvingly. *So this is where the rich folk lives*
*Another test.* he thinks to himself when the dwarf ask for the description of the room. *Let's see.*
"As we entered the room, there were three closed doors. On the opposite wall was a glass door, that led to a small deck. On it was some green shrub in an urn. Three humans - two well dressed males and a woman - was talking. The women took notes on a pad. The nearest door led to the bathroom. We are in the room behind the third door. On one of the couches an elf women was sitting in green pantsuit. She was holding a magazine. There was three naked women on the cover. It was the last month's issue of the Vogue, if I recall correctly. She was more interested of who I might be, than she was in the magazine. If I have to guess, she would be the client."
When he is finished, he ask Mr. Collins: " Did I forget something!"

Mercy Merchant

• Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <03-25-16/2320:24> »
“Very good, Mister Simmons.  Very good indeed.  Almost right on every count.”  He pauses and steeples his fingers, which are a bit long for a Dwarf.  “I am impressed enough to want to offer you the job.  I will need to run a background check, of course, but that should be a formality.  Here is the gist of what I need.  I represent a very popular singer.  She is currently at the top of her game and has been for two years, which is a very long time in this business.  We have just come in from L.A. and the man I had on staff decided to go see an old flame here.  He wound up on a slab at the local morgue when the flame’s current boyfriend showed up all angry.  So I am in a spot.  I do not really expect any danger to miss Nova Star, but it is a possibility.  To be honest, she has received her share of death threats from various radicals, and I am not so sure some of those nut jobs might not be serious.  Your biggest challenge will be keeping the trid boys from trying to sneak their “special pics” of her.  Her contract here runs three months minimum.  Your salary would be 10000 nuyen a month, plus an allowance to get proper clothing and accessories, but you would have to be available starting now and would be expected to move into the hotel today.  We already have one guard that you would work closely with.  You would need to work out a schedule of time off and run it past me for approval.  I have no use for excuses, but am not as complete an asshole as I might sound.  Well yes, maybe I am, come to think of it.  But I am willing to discuss it if you have a conflict.”

He looks closely at you.  “Interested enough to give up your life for three months?  I could dangle an option of continuing on if you work out.  There would be a raise if I like you enough and I trust you enough.”

PRabel

• Chummer
« Reply #7 on: <03-26-16/1908:09> »
*Of course I'm interested! For 10.000 a month? And to live here? Wallas wasn't kidding, this job really pays good! Babysitting doesn't sounds to be the most exciting job, but hey, money is money. *

"Thank you for the offer Mister Collins, I accept it."  He says. "Let us discuss the details. Moving in and living here is no problem. Shall I use my own channels to buy the necessary equipment? I'm guessing, I should wear  formal clothing with added protection. I'd like to meet the other guard as soon as possible."

"What kind of radicals threatened Miss Nova Star? Was it a group or some individual crazy fan? What kind of hardware am I allowed to use against them? My pistol is always with me, but can I store something more serious here in case the drek hits the fan? I would also like to know, how bad shall I treat the "trid-boys", if I catch them?"

Mercy Merchant

• Prime Runner
« Reply #8 on: <03-27-16/0223:57> »
Roger Collins watches you closely then presses a button a fancy intercom setup on the desk.  "Stella, please let all of the other applicants know that the position is filled for now.  Thank them for their interest and let them know we might get back to them if the position should open up again.  And tell the guy in the room across the hall that he can go home.  Sign his chit for me and provide him a thirty percent bonus for his trouble.  Oh, and please send Cinnamon in.  Thank you."

He looks up at you and says, "Mister Simmons, do you prefer to go by Peter or Pete or something else?  If you have a contact that can provide you with adequate clothing, by all means use him or her.  I would appreciate it if you would provide me or Stella with any receipts or invoices.  I would ask that you be dressed appropriately for the occasion.  Nova likes to go out to parties and clubs and you will be expected to dress for the event.  You will need a tuxedo, at least three semi-formal suits and three casual suits.  On occasion, she likes to dress down and slum a bit, so you will need to be prepared for that as well."

There is a soft knock at the door and it opens when he calls out.  The Keep from the couch walks in.  She is still carrying the magazine in her left hand.  She looks even prettier walking in than she had when sitting on the couch.  Her violet eyes are a bit unsettling, but perhaps her smile is even more so as it seems to attract your attention and distract you from what is going on around you, causing you to wonder if that is not the effect she is trying for.  "You asked to see me?"

"Yes, Cinnamon.  This is Peter Simmons.  He will be joining our team.  I would like you to show him his room and tie him into the net and perhaps give him a bit of what happens here.  Then we can make the introductions to Nova."

The Keeb nods and looks at you with that amazing smile and holds out her hand.  "Got it.  How do you do.  Peter is it?  Or Pete?  Pleased to meet you.  You can call me Cinn if you lie, although I have been called lots of names, many of which are unrepeatable in polite company."

PRabel

• Chummer
« Reply #9 on: <03-27-16/0617:11> »
He start to take notes on an AR interface as the dwarf started to say what clothes he needs, but gives up and says: " I'm sorry, my contact can help me mostly with armor, weapons and such. It seems, that I would need a fashion designer or something to keep up here, so I rather leave it to your guys. You can call me Grunt, by the way. It's an old nickname from my drill-seargent, that stuck"

*So, now they employ fashin models too as bodyguards? I bet she is a mage or something with this stature.* He thinks as the elf walks in and says: "So, that's where I wasn't right, it seems. Hello Cinn, nice to meet you. He shakes her hand  I hope your day is as good as mine."  He tries to smile gently, but then he stops, because he knows, his smile usually looks like a stupid grin. " I'm looking forward to work with you. You can call me simply Grunt. *I hope she is trying to distract me deliberatly now,*  he thinks *because if that's her everyday smile, we might be having a problem here.*
"Show me the way, please!"

Mercy Merchant

• Prime Runner
« Reply #10 on: <03-27-16/1101:14> »
Cinn nods and motions for you to come with her.  As she turns Collins says, "He will need top see Garrett." 

"On it, boss."  Her form from the rear is as distracting as her smile.  She opens the door and ushers you back out to the living area.  The young woman with the data pad is standing apart from the others, using some sort of headset device and talking softly to someone.  Cinn nods to her as she passes.  Please set us up with Garrett."  The young woman nods and smiles without breaking her conversation.  One of the two men is standing in front of the other door and the other is now sitting on the couch.  A young man of maybe twenty is smoking a cigarette by the open door to the balcony.  Cinn takes you over to the man at the couch.  "Larry, Grunt.  Grunt, Larry.  Grunt is going to be with us for a while." 

Larry stands and offers a hand to you.  "Welcome aboard.  Nice takedown in the hall, by the way.  Measured response and well executed.  Do you mind saying where you learned that?"

PRabel

• Chummer
« Reply #11 on: <03-27-16/1555:36> »
*Holy crap! What kind of magic is she using...because this look, it can't be natural. I really have to concentrate at the job, but damn, this chick makes it difficult! Is she really the other bodyguard?

So, this other women is some some kind of secretary. She must be Stella, whom the dwarf was calling. But who are these guys?*

As the man offers his hand, he shakes it saying: "Hey Larry, thanks, nice to meet you."  *So he is Larry.* "And thanks for the compliment too. I learned at the UCAS military, but after i got discharged, I had planty opportunity to hone it as a merc. It's a good way to neutralize people without killing them.
May I ask, what is your role here, Larry?

As he asks the question, he switches on his thermographic vision to have a better look at the people and the room.

Mercy Merchant

• Prime Runner
« Reply #12 on: <03-27-16/1810:52> »
Nothing pops up out of the ordinary on your thermo scan. 

Larry smiles.  "UCAS military then the merc life?  Nice travel path.  CAS here.  Maybe we can share war stories over a beer sometime."  He motions over to the other man who nods back without smiling.  "Now, Leroy there is former S-K security.  Does not smile much, but is terribly effective.  The two of us are the day shift."

Cinnamon nods.  "Yeah, not much use taking you over to talk to Leroy.  He doesn't talk much.  We relieve them in the evening.  I stay with Nova in her room at night while you watch the door.  Works better that way than the alternative."  She motions and leads you over to the young man smoking at the balcony.  As she passes the young woman she says, This is Stella.  We would all be useless without her, so treat her nice.  You need anything, just ask her and she will find it for you.  Don't know how she does it.  I just put it down to PFM.  That means Pure Fragging Magic.  Now this is Franklin Robert.  He is Nova's older brother.  Say hello to Grunt, Frankie."

The man turns and snarls, tossing his cigarette butt onto the balcony.  "And I am supposed to care in what way?"  He storms off and leaves the suite.  Cinn turns and watches him.  "Angry man.  He used to be the star, tons of hits and everything going for him.  Then he got mixed up by success.  Started doing drugs and BTLs.  Gambling and high-end call girls took the money the drugs did not.  Ruined his voice and he has not had a hit in years.  Then his younger sister comes along into the business and takes off like a rocket.  Now he lives on her money and it bothers him.  She gives him everything he asks for, but he hates her for it.  She is the sweetest person, but all he sees is his own failure.  So, ready to see your room?"
« Last Edit: <03-27-16/2320:15> by Mercy Merchant »

PRabel

• Chummer
« Reply #13 on: <03-28-16/1015:48> »
When the scan shows nothing, he switches back to his normal vision.

"Nice. Maybe we can,when we have the time." He smiles back to Larry.

" That's some serious background too. It really doesn't matter, when he doesn't talk much, as long as he does his job right." He says while he greets Leroy with a nod.

*So I was right about Stella. She makes things happen around here*
"Good to have her around. She is quite the asset, it seems." He greets Stella with a smile as they are passing by.

"Hey Frankie, it's..." he starts, but could not finish it as the man leaves the suit.

"If you say so," he ads "but from that spiral it's really hard to get back up. I guess he doesn't want any help either. Self-pity can be just as dangerous as any drug. Isn't he a risk to Nova?"

* She seems to have a soft spot for the boy and care for him*

"Of course, lead the way."

Mercy Merchant

• Prime Runner
« Reply #14 on: <03-28-16/1043:49> »
Cinnamon nods as she takes you from the suite and across the hall to  room 711.  "Yes.  It is very hard to recover from the spiral he brought on himself.  He still does drugs, although he keeps saying he will stop.  Nova keeps giving him more rope because she feels guilty.  Maybe.  And you are correct about him being a potential problem.  We just keep on our toes."  She opens the door to the room and hands you a card key.  "Home sweet home for the next few weeks."  This suite is pretty much a mirror image of the one across the hall.  She points to one of the bedroom doors.  "That one is yours.  Set up is pretty much the same, except that your room is still a bedroom instead of an office.  The boys are next door in 709.  Roger and Stella are in 710, back across the hall and adjoining Nova's.  Frankie has his own suite in 714, along with Marco, who you have not met.  He is the chauffeur and general oddsbody here.  Sort of like a male Stella.  I will introduce you to him later, but he is the guy to get your hardware from."

Your comm pings and a text message come in, telling you that you have an appointment with Garrett at 1500.  Cinn must have received the same message because she smiles.  "Good.  That gives us time to get some rest.  We are on tonight, so I would recommend getting as much rest as possible if you can sleep.  I was just heading off to bed.  Unless you have any questions?"