NEWS

Shadowrun 5 Errata

• 560 Replies

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #240 on: <10-29-13/1238:40> »
Both the powers Ice Sheet and Movement reference a Crash Test, but the cited page (201) simply describes what happens when you crash, not a test to avoid crashing in the first place.
Killing so many sacred cows, I'm banned from India.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #241 on: <11-01-13/0837:06> »
Tracer Rounds state they are the exception to the rule that you can only use 1 ammunition type per clip. This rule, however, is missing from the book.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

smokey

• Newb
« Reply #242 on: <11-07-13/1247:39> »
I'm sorry if this has been reported, but I haven't read through 17 pages of this. I'm on about page 6...

The Movement power states that:

"...If used on targets other than the
critter, it also only functions in terrain that the critter controls.
If used only on the critter itself, this power can be
used anywhere. The critter can multiply or divide the target’s
movement rate by up to its Magic attribute.
Only one instance of this power may be applied to
a particular target at any one time. Once the target has
left the critter’s terrain/domain, the power ends and the
target’s movement is returned to normal.
Using Movement on vehicles is tougher than it is on
critters and characters. If the target is a vehicle, the critter
makes a Magic + Willpower test with a threshold of
half the vehicle’s Body (round up), with a minimum of
2. If the critter meets the threshold in this test, multiply
the hits by the vehicle’s Acceleration Rating and add the
result to (or subtract it from) the vehicle’s Speed in the
next Combat Turn, as if making an Acceleration or Deceleration
Test. The critter can continue to make Magic
+ Willpower Tests to increase or decrease the vehicle’s
speed each Combat Turn that it sustains this power and
the vehicle remains in its domain/terrain.
..."

Bold is me, obviously.

The only 'critters' in the book with the Movement power are Spirits. There is however no definition of what terrain a spirit 'controls'. Further, there is no other use of the word "domain" in a powers-related manner that I can find.

Is this because:

A the critters book, whenever and whatever it is, will include critters that DO have terrain/domains defined (i.e. intentional, but confusing); or

B there's something missing from Spirit stats/explanation (i.e. errata); or

C something more extreme such as the Movement power is actually supposed to just be self only (i.e. errata); or

D something else?

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #243 on: <11-07-13/1255:05> »
(((I checked both this and the FAQ topic a few days back, it hasn't been brought up yet.)))

smokey

• Newb
« Reply #244 on: <11-15-13/1309:45> »
Post massively edited (16/11/2013) after musing on it for a bit longer:

Items for Errata:

It doesn't seem to be stated how you determine a Sprite's skill points/skill levels. Presumably it is equal to Resonance or Device Rating, which are both actually equal to Level?
Also, there doesn't seem to be a way to calculate a Sprite's 'real world' attributes which are needed when a Sprite carries out standard Matrix Actions (e.g. crack file needs to use Logic). three ways this could go I think:
1: Sprites 'real world' attributes are also equal to level. This makes sense, but see observations below, why not just make all tests that Sprites make simply be level x2 [relevant living persona rating]?
2. we are supposed to reverse the Living Persona table meaning a Sprites 'logic' for example is equal to it's Data Processing meaning that a Data Sprite has a Logic score of Level +4. This makes sense, but may be too powerful.
3. Sprites don't have 'real world' attributes therefore they only get to roll relevant skill rating + 0 [relevant living persona rating] on their tests. This would make them completely useless of course, but it's an option.

Observation about Sprites in general:

It all seems a little more complicated than it actually has to be. E.g.

• Device and Resonance are equal to Level (so I wonder why bother to even track these things separately).
  • There's no explanation of skills, but they're likely equal to Device or Resonance, i.e. also equal to Level.
  • Living Attributes are all based on Level, and vary according to the type of sprite summoned. We don't know the calculation for "real world" attribute equivalents such as Logic, but it's either zero, equal to linked persona attribute which is based on level, or is straight out equal to Level
  • The Matrix Condition Monitor calculation actually uses Level not directly Device Rating (calculation states 8 + Level/2)
  • Whether the DV of compiling a sprite is physical or stun is based on directly comparing the Sprite Level against your Resonance rating.

Everything, in fact, appears to be equal to or based directly on level. So why muck about with including skills names in the calculations under the various Sprite Power entries? Why not just say Sprites substitute Level for Skill rating and be done since all Sprite Power tests already seem to already effectively be Level x2 [Sprite living persona Attribute].

I mean, here's the Cookie test:

Hacking + Resonance [Sleaze]  vs (whatever)

Unless there is something very significant missing from the book, Hacking must ultimately be equal to Level, whether based on Device or Resonance score. Resonance is certainly equal to level. Sleaze is equal to Intuition + a modifier based on the type of Sprite.  Why not then just say 'use Level in place of resonance, device rating and skill ratings'?

So the test is really just Level x2 [Sleaze].

Diagnostics is Hardware + Level [Date Processing]... but that is effectively Level + Level [Data Processing], with Data Processing being equal to Level + a modifier based on the type of Sprite

So the test is really just Level x2 [Data Processing]

And so on, and so on.

The skill list shown for each Sprite in the Sprite Database then simply becomes a limit on what kinds of Actions a sprite can carry out (no skill, can't take the action) in just the same way as the powers list under each Sprite does (no power listed, can't use the power).

All Sprite Power tests then can simply be shown in each section as Level x2 [relevant persona attribute]. Nice and simple, and applicable to any other matrix action or test that might involve a skill - you just use Level in place of the skill.

The only thing left unknown then (which is still unknown regardless of how Skills are calculated) is what to do about ordinary Matrix Actions because we don't know what the 'real world' attribute calculation is supposed to be.

E.g. Brute Force is normally Cyber Combat + Logic [Attack]. The cybercombat is easy - for a sprite that's Level (we think), for a technomancer it's Cybercombat skill. Attack is easy - for a Sprite that's Level + a modifier based on the type of Sprite. Logic is easy when it's a technomancer... but what is it for a Sprite? Is it = Level (which is the basis of the Data Processing stat which in a Technomancer is simply equal to Logic), or is it = Data processing (since for a technomancer the relationship would be 1:1), or is it zero?

Take a L3 Fault Sprite wanting to use Data Spike. Is the calculation:
  • 3 + 3+1 [3+3] or
  • 3 + 3 [3+3] or
  • 3 [3+3]

« Last Edit: <11-16-13/0821:19> by smokey »

John Smith

• Newb
  • "36-C, drekhead! You gotta problem with that?!?"
« Reply #245 on: <11-19-13/1432:11> »
Sorry if this has already been mentioned.  Page 204, red sidebar, title reads: "AIR AND NAVAL WARFAE."  I'm guessing it's supposed to be "...WARFARE."
« Last Edit: <09-15-15/1914:10> by John Smith »
Darth Quiris: "How many years and editions will it be before they give us a Shadowrun edition that's easier to play, not riddled errors and not riddled with bad quality control of the game line?"

jerepp: "If they ever did then people would complain it wasn't Shadowrun anymore."

John Smith

• Newb
« Reply #246 on: <11-20-13/0303:45> »
Page 221, under "LOOKING DOWN: GRID OVERWATCH DIVISION," near the end of the first paragraph.  "...illegal or unauthorized use of the gird."  Probably supposed to be "...grid."
« Last Edit: <09-15-15/1917:01> by John Smith »
Darth Quiris: "How many years and editions will it be before they give us a Shadowrun edition that's easier to play, not riddled errors and not riddled with bad quality control of the game line?"

jerepp: "If they ever did then people would complain it wasn't Shadowrun anymore."

KraakenDazs

• Chummer
« Reply #247 on: <11-20-13/0637:17> »
Quickly glanced at the other pages, haven't seen that one being referenced (might've missed it though) so here goes.

p.298, Circle of protection.
Mis-reference mana and physical barrier as being on page315. It should read 294

315 explains what a mana barrier is, but it's not where the spell is.

Circle of Healing could also need clarification as to what is an ''Healing'' spell, and what happens to permanent or instantaneous spells within the circle.
Maybe, just maybe, concrete and Plasteel are MEANT to armor our planet, and not harm it, omae. Hydroponics can nourish our needy. And i assure you nuclear energy's been involved in getting you that fancy 'ware, chummer.Our mistake? Trading Wisdom for Greed. - Dögan "Babyface" Kross

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #248 on: <11-20-13/0650:35> »
((I disagree with the Circle of Healing note. We got 1 ritual for each type of spells, this is clearly the one meant for Health spells. And spell effects are as normal, of course. However, it should indeed note Health spells, not Healing spells.))

Telles

• Newb
« Reply #249 on: <11-23-13/1404:10> »
I used the search for this in this thread and found nothing so...

Is magic and resonance supposed to be able to be raised up to infinity? My maximum grade is my mag\res but it allows me to raise this number, continuing in an eternal loop (if you have the karma for it of course)

exemple of my line of reasoning according to page 257, 324 and 325: if my magic is 6 my max grade level is 6. but now I can buy 6 more levels of magic, going to 12. And now my max grade level is 12, wich lets me buy 6 more mag levels, and so on. Same for Res.

Is that right or should there be a limit?

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #250 on: <11-23-13/1706:13> »
((Initiating 6x and raising Magic 6x costs 123+285=408 karma. Even if all your nuyen and karma goes into this, this will take years. Raising your skills at the same time will easily double it. Going to 18 Magic makes it 12x10+12x(1+12)/2*3=354 karma for Initiating and (7+18)/2*12*5=750 karma for the Magic, which makes it 1104 karma purely for the Magic and not including any skills or Foci whatsoever. So it's not as if infinity is going to happen. Of course there have been 15-Magic NPCs.

By the way, this isn't really something for this topic, since this one is for reporting things that are broken, not for confirming whether it's broken.))

John Smith

• Newb
« Reply #251 on: <11-25-13/0335:47> »
Page 88, second column, near the middle of the first paragraph: "...rating of the group. the character wishes..."  From the context, it should probably be "...rating of the group. If the character wishes..."

Page 420, under "Concealability Modifiers," stun baton is listed at both +2 and +4.
« Last Edit: <09-15-15/1910:35> by John Smith »

Hammerfist

• Newb
  • Phys. Adept w/o a moral compass
« Reply #252 on: <12-04-13/1432:20> »
My question concerns Splintered State, one of the items offered by Mitsuhama is the Yamaha Seiten machine pistol but I can't find the stats for the gun does anyone know what they are or where I can find them?  Thanks for the help.
Forget the gun, a fist never runs out of bullets.

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #253 on: <12-04-13/1857:39> »
SR5's spirit rules do not explicitly state that spirits are NPCs to be run by the GM.  I suspect this is an oversight.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

KraakenDazs

• Chummer
« Reply #254 on: <12-07-13/0022:24> »
Not sure if this has been brought up yet, but Homonculus Minions have in their descriptions ''Watchers have skill ratings equal to half their force'', which is (of course) also in the Watcher description. Figure its a bad copy/paste job.

And not to add oil to the (already burning) fire  (and i wont push the issue if we have no answer right now), but do we have any inkling as to an ETA on the book? While i love shadowrun (and this edition has some great gems in it making it a great product), its been a very long time since ive seen a system needing so much errata/editing, first print/edition or not. Gets pretty frustrating at times running games and having no answer to some key questions, and having to houserule everything. :(

Edit: Just want to add the reason for the question, it's not simply to complain, but on a genuine thought that came up seeing the GM screen posting not long ago. It made me realize i probably wasn't going to buy it, despite kind of wanting to, just on the off-shot that the errata would come later and actually change things on the GM screen, which is supposed to be a simplifying go-to tool. If i then end up needing corrections on a go-to tool, FOR a go-to tool, it's actually defeating it's entire purpose. Having confirmation on what is/and isnt changing, getting fixed, etc, would alleviate this frustration over the idea of buying incoming products, for a game i wish to support, but will not blindly do so :S.
« Last Edit: <12-07-13/0031:53> by KraakenDazs »
Maybe, just maybe, concrete and Plasteel are MEANT to armor our planet, and not harm it, omae. Hydroponics can nourish our needy. And i assure you nuclear energy's been involved in getting you that fancy 'ware, chummer.Our mistake? Trading Wisdom for Greed. - Dögan "Babyface" Kross