NEWS

Amazonia vs. Aztlan

• 44 Replies

kinderkrieg

• Newb
« Reply #15 on: <09-11-10/0047:39> »
LOL... Adobe's search. Just looked for elevator. ;)
ah wow i feel stupid lol...just goes to show i should buy both the hard copy AND the pdf too

bobo69

• Chummer
« Reply #16 on: <09-11-10/0050:50> »
I think if the Amazon-Aztlan war spirals out of control and spills out into the rest of the world and threatens world stability(Matrix getting messed up, wider war etc.). The great powers will have no choice but to step in.

Dead Monky

• Omae
  • I demand tacos!
« Reply #17 on: <09-11-10/0053:48> »
You mean Jesus?

kinderkrieg

• Newb
« Reply #18 on: <09-11-10/0101:59> »
I think if the Amazon-Aztlan war spirals out of control and spills out into the rest of the world and threatens world stability(Matrix getting messed up, wider war etc.). The great powers will have no choice but to step in.

well if it does spiral out of control and broadens the turf the war is fought on, ares and saeder as jackpoint pointed out have separate parts of the space elevator and those really aren't three corps you wanna mess around with

Dead Monky

• Omae
  • I demand tacos!
« Reply #19 on: <09-11-10/0107:22> »
The only thing that could make it any worse is if Mitsuhama controlled a chunk of it.  I hate those guys.

kinderkrieg

• Newb
« Reply #20 on: <09-11-10/0112:52> »
get caught in a zero zone did you?

Dead Monky

• Omae
  • I demand tacos!
« Reply #21 on: <09-11-10/0114:48> »
Why do you think I'm a zombie monky?

kinderkrieg

• Newb
« Reply #22 on: <09-11-10/0116:51> »
aaaah it makes sense now!

Krypter

• Newb
« Reply #23 on: <09-24-10/2258:46> »
How come nobody uses nukes any more?
"Degrade first the arts if you'd mankind degrade,
Hire idiots to paint with cold light and hot shade."
-WB

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #24 on: <09-24-10/2349:10> »
Nobody is sure if they'll work or not. Since the nukes during the Great Ghost Dance didn't work, then Sam Verner's own Ghost Dance deactivated some, finally the nuclear incident in Chicago; it's not a reliable weapon.

bobo69

• Chummer
« Reply #25 on: <09-25-10/0540:18> »
They'll probably use non nuke secret weapons.

Amazonians will probably use their magical rituals to awaken nature against the Azzies(Yucatan).

Azzies will probably use bio weapons.

Corporate court: How about a orbital mass driver strike. Effects of a nuke without the raidation. Wonder how magic will stop a falling asteriod.

Nath

• Omae
« Reply #26 on: <09-25-10/0643:09> »
Nobody is sure if they'll work or not. Since the nukes during the Great Ghost Dance didn't work, then Sam Verner's own Ghost Dance deactivated some, finally the nuclear incident in Chicago; it's not a reliable weapon.
2004 : Israel retaliated to a chemical attack by nuking half of Libyan cities. It worked (Rulebook, Target: Wastelands).
2006 : North Korea launched one missile at Japan. It didn't work (Rulebook).
2009 : SAIM commando had the Lone Eagle of fame launched at Russia. It didn't work (Rulebook).
2030 : India and Pakistan fires nukes in Kashmir. It worked (Shadows of Asia).
2056 : Ares brings a tactical nuke to Chicago. It worked (well, more or less, Burning Bright, Bug City).
France conducts regular underground nuclear testing off the coast of French Guiana (SOTA:2064).
2064 : Winternight has magically modified nuke exploding all over the world (System Failure).

So (1) nukes have been working more often than not (2) the two well-known failures happened before the Awakening.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #27 on: <09-25-10/1113:06> »
2004 : Israel retaliated to a chemical attack by nuking half of Libyan cities. It worked (Rulebook, Target: Wastelands).
2009 : SAIM commando had the Lone Eagle of fame launched at Russia. It didn't work (Rulebook).
2056 : Ares brings a tactical nuke to Chicago. It worked (well, more or less, Burning Bright, Bug City).
France conducts regular underground nuclear testing off the coast of French Guiana (SOTA:2064).
2064 : Winternight has magically modified nuke exploding all over the world (System Failure).

So (1) nukes have been working more often than not (2) the two well-known failures happened before the Awakening.
Add to that the nukes from Find Your Own Truth and you have nukes working 3 times, not working 3 times and one WTF moment in Chicago. (Not counting French testing because testing is done in a controlled environment). So, are you going to launch a nuke at your enemy when you're only going to have a possible 43% guaranteed success rate? Now, remember, there will still be a lot of political fallout (along with the other fallout) if you launch it. To use nukes without the blessing of the Corporate Court could mean censure from them (which could mean having an asteroid shot at your headquarters).

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #28 on: <09-25-10/1228:22> »
The handy part about the elevator is that it not only provides a single point of entry to the orbitals (allowing the corps to focus their defensive measures at one point), it also allows for real time surveillance and counter-measure deployment in case of stowaways.  Not only can they put visual sensors on board, but weight (mass) sensors can pick up exactly how much is travelling up the umbilical.  This also allows it to be a hard-line comm system, which puts a significant crimp on wireless hacking.  In fact, I'd say that they might disallow ANY wireless traffic not on their official channels, thus giving the corps another way to detect intruders.  If they aren't on the corp frequencies with the corp encryption being monitored by corp security, then they can simply stop the elevator partway up (and vent it) or send it back down to the loving arms of corpsec.
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

freddieflatline

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #29 on: <10-24-10/2056:35> »

Add to that the nukes from Find Your Own Truth and you have nukes working 3 times, not working 3 times and one WTF moment in Chicago. (Not counting French testing because testing is done in a controlled environment). So, are you going to launch a nuke at your enemy when you're only going to have a possible 43% guaranteed success rate? Now, remember, there will still be a lot of political fallout (along with the other fallout) if you launch it. To use nukes without the blessing of the Corporate Court could mean censure from them (which could mean having an asteroid shot at your headquarters).

Ortillery anyone? I love the light given off by a rock burning through the atomsphere in the morning it looks like victory!