NEWS

6th Edition in 2019?

• 174 Replies

Shadowjack

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
« on: <07-22-18/1018:42> »
Rumors are circulating that 6th edition is in development. I really think the community should be involved to an extent in the design process, find out what people like and dislike. I went back to 4E because I felt that skill caps being raised to 12 was a huge mistake, the new matrix stuff (aside from the return of cyberdecks) was mostly bad, large increases in gear costs, limits and accuracy were bad ideas, poorly written rules for matrix, magic, and vehicles, etc. Anarchy was a lot of fun for a while but poorly written rules ruined it for me and I came to miss the more interesting character creation of 4E.
Show me your wallet and I'll show you a man with 20 fingers.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <07-22-18/1054:53> »
There are also rumors circulating that the 30th anniversary core rule book for SR5 is scheduled for next year....

But rumors are rumors. Shrug.

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <07-22-18/1101:52> »
So-called rumors of a new edition are by-and-large just people venting about how they don't like the current edition.

Personally, I'm really tired of it, because it just feels like so much negativity.

There has been no official mention of anything involving a new edition. Nothing. There are already threads out there discussing what to do for a new ruleset, and there are already threads about what is going to be new in 2019.

I don't see any new value here.

Shadowjack

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <07-22-18/1111:40> »
Regardless, I doubt they will announce 6E while still creating 5E products. However, I do believe it is not something the community should ignore because 5E does have a lot of problems and many of us are not happy. My concern is that all of a sudden 6E will be announced and will have been in development for some time, at that point it may be too late for customers to help shape the product and it could be a bad edition. Right now I am playing 4E and having a good time but I have purchased many 5E products and overall have had a bad experience, I would be very disappointed if 6E just pops up and turns out to be far from my preferences.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #4 on: <07-22-18/1142:03> »
Honestly, I agree that the rumors of 6E are mostly people who have tried 5e and found it spectacularly wanting. Part of the clamor is because there are enough areas of the game with enough structural problems (read: Matrix) that it is simply impossible to imagine how they could fix things without major revisions or, in some cases (read: TMs), a complete ground-up rewrite. Combined with the... anemic modification rules for vehicles, drones, and weapons, a return of the priority system, and a failure to follow through on their own hype (remember the 'Year of Shadowrun'?), this has left a lot of people disaffected with the current edition. The CFD 'crisis', which was built up so much leading into 5E has turned out to be thoroughly 'meh', and the Lockdown relied too much on the computer games which never caught on, and we were left with... well, a bunch of nothing for long enough that the only reason people were talking about it is because it screwed up traffic on the eastern seaboard, until very recently, when it was almost an aside with the corporate court looking at NeoNET and the Audit. Even a shakeup in the corporate court and the megacorporate landscape was given a ho-hum treatment. It is basically like Shadowrun has been running on neutral for the last few years.

There just isn't the same energy in the lore in 5e as there was in 4e, and the structural problems 5e has are much more pronounced over those 4e had. At this point I think what is needed is either an overhaul, like D&D 3.0 to 3.5, or a completely new edition, like D&D 4th to D&D 5th.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #5 on: <07-22-18/1155:52> »
Of course everyone here paying attention to the issues with 5th. Gamers are always unhappy. I know I am one. The community is always restless, there no reason to get overly worried about it. 5th is gonna be with us for good while to come. Things have gotten better and are continuing too improve the errata team is back up and running again, a Special thanks to Firebug for that. The TM issues about to be address next month, if you hear some talk this nonsense tell them to chill. There will always be system issues and that fine, things are progressing very nicely. Power creep is being address in logical and useful ways. Street Lethal is a great example. Sure the book isn't perfect there decent number of errors, but it's doing a good job keeping the power creep diverse enough.
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

&#24525;

« Reply #6 on: <07-22-18/1432:39> »
like D&D 4th
Bleh. You dare speak of it >.<

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #7 on: <07-22-18/1546:14> »
Of course everyone here paying attention to the issues with 5th. Gamers are always unhappy. I know I am one. The community is always restless, there no reason to get overly worried about it. 5th is gonna be with us for good while to come. Things have gotten better and are continuing too improve the errata team is back up and running again, a Special thanks to Firebug for that. The TM issues about to be address next month, if you hear some talk this nonsense tell them to chill. There will always be system issues and that fine, things are progressing very nicely. Power creep is being address in logical and useful ways. Street Lethal is a great example. Sure the book isn't perfect there decent number of errors, but it's doing a good job keeping the power creep diverse enough.
We HOPE the TM issues will be addressed next month. It was going to be a book, then it got delayed, then restarted, then rolled into a chapter of a second Matrix book. I'm not confident the they will get the ground up structural rewrite they desperately need in a single chapter, especially if it is going to be in the current style of writing, with mixing the fluff and rules sections.

'Things have gotten better' is like saying, "Well, the dragon stopped breathing fire on us." "But now he's casting a spell." "Yes, but we're not on fire, so things have gotten better."

Firebug and team have done heroic work, and should be applauded, but there were so many areas where that work was made necessary because of needless and reckless changes between editions that were clearly not looked at before publication (the stuff with vehicles and a Spirit with the Movement power, for instance, getting a motorcycle up to Mach 1 or some such craziness, because they changed the Speed and Accel ratings from actual numbers to a scale and copy/pasted the Movement power from 4th).

If we get a 5.5, that actually fixes the structural problems inherent in the system as it stands, then I'd be satisfied. But 'power creep' isn't the issue when a third of the game (matrix) is utterly FUBAR, and drek is splashing on everything else because of it. You're talking about Power Creep while we're knee deep in drek and the tide is rising.

like D&D 4th
Bleh. You dare speak of it >.<
If the shoe fits...

Just be glad I didn't invoke F.A.T.A.L.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #8 on: <07-22-18/1615:18> »
Get over it Mirikon, your doom and gloom is well known on the board, If you like talking about FATAL then go play that horrible abomination.
We have made progress, we will continue to make progress. 

For both of you 4th ed was damn good game. It's b/c whine ass gamers couldn't imagine  a D&D where wizards were actually balanced with the other classes, and where a game finally stepped up and learned some lessons from MMOs instead of just the other way around. They couldn't look passed the rules and see how it was intended to be play. It's a huge tragedy the community just managed to let 3.5 go. No D&D was ever as easy to run, as 4th and no game ever scaled as well, and that includes 5th. Which I do admit is good game.
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

Shadowjack

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #9 on: <07-22-18/1619:22> »
The CRB was not tested enough, quite clearly. Technomancers being completely messed up is unacceptable and I don't believe that requiring customers to buy a "fix" years later is a good thing. In SR5 I played mostly street samurais because I felt that most other major archetypes were a headache. Hacking is screwed up on an extreme level that reflects very poorly on the company. Marks, OS, GOD, dozens upon dozens of dice formulas, that's just what I recall off the top of my head, I have not played it in some time.

There was absolutely no reason to increase skill caps to 12/13, that is pure insanity. You start with a maximum of 6 in a skill (pre aptitude) and advancing to rank 12 during play is very expensive and quite frankly, not realistic for the majority of players, runners, and groups, especially when you have many other things to sink your karma into. Bringing back the priority system was a huge mistake. Alchemy is almost pointless, reagents did not enhance the game, magic rules outside of the basics are poorly designed. I could go on, the book was a disaster.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #10 on: <07-22-18/1634:41> »
I'd rather get errata out and go on for half a decade than deal with the fandom wank that pretends SR5 didn't give a decent shot at solving problems in 4e. A bunch of judgement calls and houserules helped solve areas I was unsatisfied with, and the speed is much better. In SR4 I would never have dared play out a dual-layer combat with fifty participants for a season finale, or butcher their way through an entire Humanis Compound. And I much prefer the SR5 matrix despite them screwing up TMs. Way easier to run with.

Anyway, as mentioned in another topic, it's doubtable they will go for SR6 while NT SRM still runs. I do expect playtesting to start in a few years and I hope that they get at least twice as many playtesters involved as with Anarchy, with a time span of two years.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #11 on: <07-22-18/1845:11> »
All in all, 5e is an improvement to previous editions in regard to the elegance of the mechanics and playability. The game is mainly lacking where diligence and attention to detail is concerned. Good ideas are often implemented only half-assed or without someone editing them who actually has read all the other rules texts that came before. And I see no reason why a new edition would change that. If anything it would make things worse.

talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

PMárk

• Chummer
« Reply #12 on: <07-22-18/2136:25> »
Well, I'm okay with 5e. I'd like an anniversary edition, because there's always room for mechanical cleanup, but overall, I like most of the edition. I even enjoy the story a lot, Dark Terrors and Forbidden Arcana kept me on edge.
If nothing worked, let's think!

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #13 on: <07-22-18/2213:37> »
Rumors are circulating that 6th edition is in development.
They are wrong.

Beta

• Ace Runner
  • SR1 player, SR5 GM@FtF & player@PbP
« Reply #14 on: <07-23-18/1012:30> »
I would much rather see a "5.5", i.e. not a major change of rules but a clean up of smaller issues, a bit of re-balancing, improved presentation, etc.  But I would imagine that the issue for game companies is that core rules and core supplements are apt to be their best sellers (but also probably have the highest production costs).  As in, probably a much higher pick-up rate on Run and Gun than on Street Lethal, on Street Grimoire than on Forbidden Arcana, etc.  I don't know what the net revenue over time chart looks like, but I'm assuming that at some point it starts tailing off, as the rules begin to feel stale, the new supplements seem pretty niche, etc.  No idea what the sweet spot for a refresh on the rules is, but I'm sure it is something that they have to keep in mind.