NEWS

Wands

• 46 Replies

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #30 on: <06-07-18/0827:11> »
I could point out the whole idea would be so those pasty face kids would actually know what to do with wand instead holding it like a useless wooden knife but I guess there will always be wanna be's.
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

Bamce

• Omae
« Reply #31 on: <06-07-18/0952:32> »
Therr are already fetishes and foci that can easily take the form of “wands”

adzling

« Reply #32 on: <06-07-18/1026:48> »
this

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #33 on: <06-07-18/1221:01> »
Of course, if they introduced Spell Matrices from Earthdawn, then a wand would make an excellent way to hold the physical matrix of a spell, allowing you to 'channel' through it to use the included spell.

Think of the crowd we are dealing with, Mirikon.  If matrices were a thing, we'd be up to our artificial eyeballs in gunblades.
You could already make gunblades in 4th with the weapon mod rules. It was stupid, not very functional, and likely to have people laughing at you all over the place, but you could do it.

Actually, way back in 2012 I came up with an idea for doing spell matrix items. Basically, they hold a spell formula (or more than one) at a certain force, and once you bond with the item, you can cast that spell (or those spells) at that force. You use your spellcasting skill and resist drain as normal, but the spells from the matrix can't benefit from foci unless the item is also a focus. So you could have an old flintlock pistol that had an F5 Flamethrower spell in it, for instance, and when you bonded with it, you'd be able to pull the trigger and unleash the spell. And so on.

https://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=6745.msg119739#msg119739
That's the link to the original thread.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Gorstavich

• Newb
« Reply #34 on: <06-07-18/1420:02> »
You could already make gunblades in 4th with the weapon mod rules. It was stupid, not very functional, and likely to have people laughing at you all over the place, but you could do it.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/5/6968731_447044e9bf_z.jpg?zz=1
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_59GYpEVAu0U/TRl_K7qhDdI/AAAAAAAAAp8/t4q_bQEMHN8/s1600/pistol-sword1.JPG

Complete tangent... I am vastly amused that the gunblade concept has an actual historical basis.
"ZenCrafters.  Total enlightenment... in about an hour!"

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #35 on: <06-07-18/1448:36> »
Yes.

And they were a failure back then too :P

Hard to load, hard to aim, prone to blade warping due to repeated heat stress, low caliber so little penatration....

But good at making a smoke screens!
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Marcus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #36 on: <06-07-18/1500:49> »
People have been making Gun blade for years and years.
And yes I'm well aware you can get them in 5th as well. It's never actually been hard.
Further given that we have two fire arms specific martial arts (Gun Fu, and Fire Fight) and atleast two others that play nice with them (Krav and ROSS).
It's also worth noting it really fine that they are epic inaccurate your going to shoot them from less five feet away, so as long as muzzle velocity isn't zero you will be fine.

But regardless I don't want 4 magic martial arts, I just want one. Seems fair to me :D
« Last Edit: <06-07-18/1600:54> by Marcus »
Thinking
com
speaking

Marcus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #37 on: <06-07-18/1503:11> »
Yes I responded to that point, did you miss my answer? Did you just not like it?
The fact there more then one thing can look like wand some how obviates the concept of a wand Martial Art?
I don't believe so.

Same goes for you Adzling.
« Last Edit: <06-07-18/1505:12> by Marcus »
Thinking
com
speaking

adzling

« Reply #38 on: <06-07-18/1551:38> »
yup i didn't read up all the way.

apologies

Marcus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #39 on: <06-07-18/1556:39> »
yup i didn't read up all the way.

apologies

No worries, just wanted to make sure I hadn't missed something.
Thinking
com
speaking

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #40 on: <06-07-18/2327:36> »
Just admit it,

You watched "Bright" recently, and watched "the wand" action in that and said: "Cool, how do I bring that to Shadowrun" didn't you?  :D
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Marcus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #41 on: <06-07-18/2353:12> »
Just admit it,

You watched "Bright" recently, and watched "the wand" action in that and said: "Cool, how do I bring that to Shadowrun" didn't you?  :D

LOL, I wasn't actually huge fan of Bright, though I do think that ORC killed it. If really wanted to bring Bight the Shadowrun, I'd be writing up some kind for crazy combat/focus fetish thing that let you crush your enemies with single flick.

Naa this much more, that i'm really sick of SR mages running around with AKs, acting like you need to be able to shoot gun to be effective. If your gonna be a Wizard. Then Wizard the heck up! Show'em you gotta pair, and can tell the laws of physics to sit down shut the heck while you destroy enemies with Lightning and Fire! Be a Magi one of the Wise and teach your fellow runners not to mess with wizards, cause they are subtle and quick to anger!

Oh and I am of course also a harry potter fan, so disarming a wand seems like BA thing to do also.

PS who's Bamce and why am i seeing'em for the first time now?
« Last Edit: <06-08-18/0019:01> by Marcus »
Thinking
com
speaking

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #42 on: <06-08-18/1158:02> »
The mages with guns are that way because:

A) Guns don't cause drain.
B) Checking a gun at the door makes people feel better so that they don't question whether you're a mage.
C) Running around without obvious weapons (or, alternatively, running around with obviously magical weapons) is a great way to have people yell 'Geek the Mage first', and shoot you many, many times.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Marcus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #43 on: <06-08-18/1221:19> »
The mages with guns are that way because:

A) Guns don't cause drain.
B) Checking a gun at the door makes people feel better so that they don't question whether you're a mage.
C) Running around without obvious weapons (or, alternatively, running around with obviously magical weapons) is a great way to have people yell 'Geek the Mage first', and shoot you many, many times.

Yes I do understand the obvious Mirikon, and I did discuss this point. But I'll say it again explicitly so everyone can have it in plan English. Yes practicing the Martial Art does increase the caster's risk, as they are easy to identify and that is an understood component of the whole thing. So if one does this, they better have a good plan how to handle it.

Thinking
com
speaking

Sterling

• Omae
  • Dragged in by the credstick
« Reply #44 on: <06-16-18/1036:29> »
Think of the crowd we are dealing with, Mirikon.  If matrices were a thing, we'd be up to our artificial eyeballs in gunblades.

Sigh, don't tempt me.

PS Honestly No One has an Opinion on my MA Style? Was it really that bad?  The board isn't famous for being nice so, I'm little concerned.

Honestly?!?

Ok. Remember, you asked.

As I was reading those rules, in my head, I had this running image of some pasty-faced Harry Potter reject/fan jumping out in from of a large security troll, while brandishing a wand like one would a knife. The troll looks down, sighs, "An other one." He mumbles as he promptly grabs the flailing mage, takes the wand from him, turns him ass over kettle, and inserts the wand before tossing the brat over his shoulder.

You asked.

That would certainly explain why most mages seem to have a stick up their ass.....
"His name is Sterling. He’s an ex-pat Brit making a living as a fixer and a hacker in Metropole. He’s a rare blend of upstanding and fun...(so) listen to his experience."
>>Data Trails, p.82