NEWS

Adept rituals

• 3 Replies

ShadowMaster

• Newb
« on: <06-13-17/1537:19> »
Attune Animal, Attune Item and Empower are rituals only available to Adepts and Mystic Adepts.
When using these rituals do Mystic adepts use Ritual Spellcasting or Animal Handling, Armorer, Mechanic skill etc?

My interpretation is that the Mystic Adept should be using the skill listed in the description, but the people at lonewolf (hero lab) say if you have ritual spellcasting that is what should be used.
Any possibility of getting some clarification on this?

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #1 on: <06-13-17/1731:22> »
The description for Adepts and Rituals on page 121 of Street Grimoire specifies that those certain rituals allow for a "skill the adept can use in substitution of Ritual Spellcasting."

Did you actually talk to somebody with Lone Wolf, or are you going off of what HeroLab displays for a dicepool on those rituals? HeroLab won't always display alternatives to skills, which is understandable (it can't do everything). I can't tell you how many times I've had people confused about their dicepool for Matrix Perception because HeroLab displays Computers with the linked attribute (Logic), but Matrix Perception uses Computer+Intuition...

The rules don't say that you must use Ritual Spellcasting if you have it, just that the GM has final say on what can be used in substitution.

ShadowMaster

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <06-14-17/0630:36> »
I had submitted a bug report and the response I got was as stated above.

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <06-14-17/0741:40> »
Yeah... if you want to continue arguing the point with the powers that be at LoneWolf, you can point out that the rules only state that adepts can substitute the (appropriate) skill in place of Ritual Spellcasting. The implication there is that they could of course do so whether they have the Ritual Spellcasting skill or not. Since Adept rituals are only available to Adepts and Mystic Adepts, and an exception for Mystic Adepts isn't stated, there isn't any reason to think that Mystic Adepts would be limited in their ability to use the stated skills for performing adept rituals.

If anything, I would have expected those rituals to be only be performed through the linked skills and not Ritual Spellcasting...