NEWS

[5e OOC] Black Trenchcoat

• 314 Replies

Redwulfe

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #270 on: <07-11-18/1134:33> »
You will notice that their is a car parked on the street that has two people sitting in the car, Do you have thermos?

Si. Thermal and Night built into his eyes..

What you will notice with the car is that the engine is cold, they have been sitting there for some time.

@gm Cool, so that drops us down to 1.5hours with the net hit?

12 hour normal, halved to 6 for browse, halved to 3 for the net hit. Unless I was missing something else, which is possible. :)

we dont want any records of us having been here if we can avoid it. luckily you've got me. before i go in i want an astral scout of the room and those dudes in the car. + i need to devise a good cover for entering the dorm, im open to suggestions.

Whoever is going to assense the guys in the car go ahead with an assessing test.

we dont want any records of us having been here if we can avoid it. luckily you've got me. before i go in i want an astral scout of the room and those dudes in the car. + i need to devise a good cover for entering the dorm, im open to suggestions.

I was planning to do that. I just haven't had time to post. Been very busy with work lately. I'll post tonight or tomorrow though.

@Red, here's my Assensing roll for going in astrally while we travel by car. I'd like to travel to the place and see if there are any magical security, wards, spirits, or traces of spellcasting. Any auras I can read?

http://orokos.com/roll/641444

U-dub is most famous in the UCAS for its magical studies program and it seems that they use student to practice these studies by warding the various campus buildings. Most of the buildings have wards of various power levels on the building itself and it seems that these power levels fluctuate as you look at different apartments, probably due to lodges being erected in some rooms of the residents halls. Elm house is more of a hall for students that are in the various athletic programs so you will only encounter a ward that was erected with a 4 force on the building itself. there are several spirits on campus though doing vary tasks for the students as well as forming astral security but it is not hard to deduce that somone in astral space wandering around campus will not be out of place.
There are 10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't

Red

*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

Csjarrat

• Prime Runner
  • UK based GM + player
« Reply #271 on: <07-11-18/1612:00> »
ok: general matrix perception test, looking for cameras on nearby structures; maybe on traffic control/local shops/businesses etc that might be potentials for capturing incidental footage of kiku's exit: matrix perception: 16d6t5 4

Turning attention to the building we're parked outside of now: assuming i'll see a host of some sort: matrix perception: 16d6t5 3

edit forgot hotsim bonus: first roll : 2d6t5 0
2nd : 2d6t5 0 meh... didnt matter anyway lol.

Gonna trawl social media posts for Kaito looking for more images/videos etc: matrix search: 16d6t5 5
« Last Edit: <07-11-18/1617:16> by Csjarrat »
Speech
Thought
Matrix
Astral
Mentor

Csjarrat

• Prime Runner
  • UK based GM + player
« Reply #272 on: <07-11-18/1710:14> »
assuming their car is broadcasting ID i'll run a search on it at higher priority than the trawl on Kaito: search on car ID: 16d6t5 6
Speech
Thought
Matrix
Astral
Mentor

Redwulfe

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #273 on: <07-11-18/1725:09> »
ok: general matrix perception test, looking for cameras on nearby structures; maybe on traffic control/local shops/businesses etc that might be potentials for capturing incidental footage of kiku's exit: matrix perception: 16d6t5 4

Turning attention to the building we're parked outside of now: assuming i'll see a host of some sort: matrix perception: 16d6t5 3

edit forgot hotsim bonus: first roll : 2d6t5 0
2nd : 2d6t5 0 meh... didnt matter anyway lol.

Gonna trawl social media posts for Kaito looking for more images/videos etc: matrix search: 16d6t5 5

So this is a controversial topic. From what I read in the books it is my understanding that even if the camera itself is visible if it is slaved to the host you can not see its icon until you are in the host as well. so when you don't see any icons for he door lock or any cameras you know that it is in the host.

As far as the host itself goes, you got 3 questions on your perception.

The cars id would not be something you could search on the net as it would be information that you would have to access a secured host to get either the department of motor vehicles or grid guide. the names of the occupants are being broadcast since this is a nicer neighborhood. Both Japanese. Riku Shotozumi and Haru Watanabi.

On the search for Kaito it will only take a few minutes to find his obituary and that there is going to be funeral services for him in two days in the barrens. Weirdly they're no details on the cause of his death but it is going to be a closed casket service.
« Last Edit: <07-11-18/1728:37> by Redwulfe »
There are 10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't

Red

Thinking
com
speaking

adzling

« Reply #274 on: <07-11-18/1732:37> »
Disclaimer: your the gm and you set the rules and I’ll go with whatever your ruling is.

My understanding is all wireless devices have visible icons (unless running silent). That does not change if they are in a pan or slaved to a host.

In fact the only way to actually find a camera is to use ar because it also has positional information and you can see it in meatspace. If you used vr you would see jundreds of cameras within your 100m vicinity and be unable to decipher which one is the right one.

If the camera is hardwired to the host then there would be no wireless icon.

Csjarrat

• Prime Runner
  • UK based GM + player
« Reply #275 on: <07-11-18/1744:56> »
I was also looking for cameras and such on buildings on the other side of the street and nearby, not just on the university premises (unless we're totally surrounded by university owned buildings?)
Three questions will be on its ratings basically, I'm after its firewall primarily and also whether I can get a guest account to view its public areas or whether I'll need to hack a mark
« Last Edit: <07-11-18/1748:34> by Csjarrat »
Speech
Thought
Matrix
Astral
Mentor

blackshade10

• Newb
  • Elfie Technomancer
« Reply #276 on: <07-11-18/2051:54> »
http://orokos.com/roll/641598

3 hits on Assensing the area.

http://orokos.com/roll/641600

6 hits to summon a Force 6 Beast spirit.

http://orokos.com/roll/641602

It has 0 hits to resist. 

http://orokos.com/roll/641603

I got 1 hit to resist the physical fade.  So, I believe I take 1 physical damage.

I got 6 tasks, but due to Spirit Whisperer, the Spirit comes out as a Force 7 spirit.   For its two optional powers, I'm taking Search and Concealment.
« Last Edit: <07-11-18/2056:05> by blackshade10 »

Redwulfe

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #277 on: <07-11-18/2345:00> »
Disclaimer: your the gm and you set the rules and I’ll go with whatever your ruling is.

My understanding is all wireless devices have visible icons (unless running silent). That does not change if they are in a pan or slaved to a host.

In fact the only way to actually find a camera is to use ar because it also has positional information and you can see it in meatspace. If you used vr you would see jundreds of cameras within your 100m vicinity and be unable to decipher which one is the right one.

If the camera is hardwired to the host then there would be no wireless icon.

I tried to find the passage that said that things where invisible when in a host and now I see that I may have added the passage.

5th Core Page 246,
The virtual space inside a host is separate from the outside grid. When you’re outside of a host, you can’t interact directly with icons inside it, although you can still send messages, make commcalls, and that sort of thing. Once you’re inside, you can see and interact with icons inside the host, but not outside (with the same caveat for messages, calls, etc.).

I think because the second part said you can see and interact with icons inside the host I was thinking that the opposite was not true even though it only says you can't interact in the second sentence. It also made sense to me that security devices would be harder to hack if you could not see them while outside the host. This made sense from a security standpoint. This would go for IC and files and so on. If they where visible then your beautiful sculpted host would have thousands of icon cluttering up the sculpted host. Which never made sense to me, why sculpt the host then? This may be incorrect and I can accept that but I think it makes more sense if they are not unless you are directly connected to them, of course. I would love to know a definitive answer though as it always seemed cloudy to me so please feel free to discuss.

I was also looking for cameras and such on buildings on the other side of the street and nearby, not just on the university premises (unless we're totally surrounded by university owned buildings?)
Three questions will be on its ratings basically, I'm after its firewall primarily and also whether I can get a guest account to view its public areas or whether I'll need to hack a mark

The Cameras and security of most of the buildings outside are also hosted as well as most buildings in this area have a host for their own. Their are several areas where you are sure that someone could stealth up and connect a wireless tap to give you direct access to be able to get a mark on a slave though an therefore a host.

The Firewall of the host is 6, The rating of the host is 4. No visitors account exists just a RFID that has the equivalent of a static webpage in todays world. Registered students would have a permanent mark set up for their persona within the foundation of the host itself so they could access the buildings they should be allowed to access.

http://orokos.com/roll/641598

3 hits on Assensing the area.

http://orokos.com/roll/641600

6 hits to summon a Force 6 Beast spirit.

http://orokos.com/roll/641602

It has 0 hits to resist. 

http://orokos.com/roll/641603

I got 1 hit to resist the physical fade.  So, I believe I take 1 physical damage.

I got 6 tasks, but due to Spirit Whisperer, the Spirit comes out as a Force 7 spirit.   For its two optional powers, I'm taking Search and Concealment.

Just a quick modifier if you add "t5" to the end of your dice codes so "16d6t5" it will roll the dice and count success instead of totaling them for you. Also if you don't mind I would like to roll resistances and NPC dice. You get 6 tasks.

Where is spirit Whisperer again? Does it add to the force summoned during the summoning or after. if so it may change the force for the purpose of determining if drain is physical or stun. but yes 1 would be left over for damage.

Red

Thinking
com
speaking

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #278 on: <07-12-18/0009:53> »
We can verify and figure which it was later and how it will be played next run, but for now a GM ruling is a GM ruling we follow that as Adzling said. The men's names are enough to give us the answer. Unless KE's hiring method suddenly changed radically then Ryu knows we are probably looking at Yaks.

Oh one other thing if you don't mind Red i would prefer if you roll, any perception or stealth checks Ace makes. To me it helps eliminate any chance meta-gaming a reaction to the roll.
« Last Edit: <07-12-18/0013:51> by Marcus »
Thinking
com
speaking

Redwulfe

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #279 on: <07-12-18/1101:48> »
We can verify and figure which it was later and how it will be played next run, but for now a GM ruling is a GM ruling we follow that as Adzling said. The men's names are enough to give us the answer. Unless KE's hiring method suddenly changed radically then Ryu knows we are probably looking at Yaks.

Oh one other thing if you don't mind Red i would prefer if you roll, any perception or stealth checks Ace makes. To me it helps eliminate any chance meta-gaming a reaction to the roll.

Will do.

Red

Thinking
com
speaking

adzling

« Reply #280 on: <07-12-18/1111:03> »
agreed re: going with red's ruling for now.

however I can tell you (as an errata team member we discuss this stuff every day) that per RAW and RAI all wireless devices have a visible icon unless running silent.

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #281 on: <07-12-18/1132:21> »

however I can tell you (as an errata team member we discuss this stuff every day) that per RAW and RAI all wireless devices have a visible icon unless running silent.
Yeah that's all good, and I'm not arguing. Simply too me it's far more important to follow the GM's flow and avoid disrupting his/her image of the scenario, and worry about crossing t and dotting every i in terms of the system. We have a whole game to get the rules right. We only have once chance to get this run right! lol
Thinking
com
speaking

adzling

« Reply #282 on: <07-12-18/1149:55> »

Yeah that's all good, and I'm not arguing. Simply too me it's far more important to follow the GM's flow and avoid disrupting his/her image of the scenario, and worry about crossing t and dotting every i in terms of the system. We have a whole game to get the rules right. We only have once chance to get this run right! lol

agree 110%!

Redwulfe

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #283 on: <07-13-18/0148:23> »
For my own knowledge even though you can still see them, you can not interact with them though, as per the passage in the book, correct.

I will consider this a house rule at this point as I have always liked my interpretation.

Red

Thinking
com
speaking

adzling

« Reply #284 on: <07-13-18/1121:02> »
per RAW if the device is slaved to the host you can still hack the device, it's just that it uses the host's firewall rating in lieu of it's own (which is why you slave them to the host in the first place).

the downside of this approach is that if you get a mark on a slaved device you also get a mark on the master (the host).